Calling coyotes in the spring/summer

Easttnhunter01

Hello guys, I’m pretty green to the predator hunting world. I got into it some this winter after deer season, I called in and killed 4 when I had time to hunt some...

I’m just curious as to what’s different this time of year if anything? The ones I killed back in the winter all were on distress sounds never had any real luck howling or anything.

I have a lucky duck revolt and a foxpro banshee, thanks for the help

Oh, there can be quite a difference during different times of the year. Once they get it in their heads to start breeding, vocals work great. When the pups are on the ground, puppy distress calls are killers.

I use the 3 strikes rule. Try a call sequence 3 times. If nothing shows up, change something. It might be the volume, it might be adding or subtracting calls to your sequence, might be how long you are calling, or the order of your sequence. But change ONE thing. Then run 3 more stands. This will allow you to positively identify what is working and what is not and will let you zero in on their pattern. Too often guys make too many changes and can't identify what is/is not working.

Once you lock into their pattern, you are going to rack up more fur.

Killed 8 on film in the last 3 days,,,,single lone howls,,,canine pups 1-2,,,,pup screams, pup distress 2,3....female submissive and coyote group yip howls...they will come....all on the american made FOXPRO of course..

Thanks for the replies guys, I’m going to try it in he morning. Do you all normally have the best luck early morning and evening this time of year?

Originally Posted By: BAMITKilled 8 on film in the last 3 days,,,,single lone howls,,,canine pups 1-2,,,,pup screams, pup distress 2,3....female submissive and coyote group yip howls...they will come....all on the american made FOXPRO of course..

This sequence got me a coyote tonight. Thank you.

In addition to the type of call ( pup distress during denning season etc..), you should also account for movement. If you called coyotes in late fall or winter in one area, that doesn’t mean they’re denning there. A lot of times there isn’t anything wrong with the call you’re blowing/playing. There just may not be a coyote close enough to respond. I trap more than I call. No sign gets no trap. I mostly call the same way. Of course sometimes in a new area you might want to try calling before seeing immediate sign if it “looks good “. Driving through an area and blowing a locator howl or a siren every mile or so a day or so before you intend to call will tell you if you’re in the right neighborhood. All this to say you can’t call what isn’t there.

Originally Posted By: Brendan43In addition to the type of call ( pup distress during denning season etc..), you should also account for movement. If you called coyotes in late fall or winter in one area, that doesn’t mean they’re denning there. A lot of times there isn’t anything wrong with the call you’re blowing/playing. There just may not be a coyote close enough to respond. I trap more than I call. No sign gets no trap. I mostly call the same way. Of course sometimes in a new area you might want to try calling before seeing immediate sign if it “looks good “. Driving through an area and blowing a locator howl or a siren every mile or so a day or so before you intend to call will tell you if you’re in the right neighborhood. All this to say you can’t call what isn’t there.

Thanks, I’m going to try loacating the night before I go next time. I don’t have a lot of time to hunt right now been busy at work

Originally Posted By: BAMITKilled 8 on film in the last 3 days,,,,single lone howls,,,canine pups 1-2,,,,pup screams, pup distress 2,3....female submissive and coyote group yip howls...they will come....all on the american made FOXPRO of course..

I'd like to thank you for this information. I just started coyote hunting a few months ago after a long 10 year or more break. I've been having some trouble getting them to come in and even answering sometimes eventhough i see tracks and trail pics of them.

Tried the calls mentioned on Saturday night and had one come in, but unfortunately it was behind me in a thick cutover and wasn't able to see it. Another lesson learned lol. I'll go back in a few weeks and give it another try.

I kill them with the same sounds year around. I called these yesterday and 3 of the 4 came in to rabbit after starting the stand with a couple howls;

Called up a few coyote in this summer heat. Calling predators takes me to some of the same river bottoms I hunted as a kid. Looking back a lot of things have changed, but the bottoms remain the same. Out here; looking outward and into other possibilities within an essence found only outside the realm of civilization. An element that cannot be broken down into simpler parts. It defined the Cherokee and Cheyenne of yesteryear. And like them; I too shall one day fade into the next world and these lands will be hunted by some other…

WTG, Jeremy. Enough of that brush cuttin', good to see you back after 'em again.

Regards,
Clarence

Back