Vmax woes

I am a big fan of the 60gr V-Max in the 223. It may blow up but it is long enough that as it blows it pushes on inside the coyote. It is also devastating on smaller critters like ground squirrels.

Last edited:
My partner and I are both shooting 22-250 ARs. I’m shooting Berger 50 gr Target HPs. He’s shooting 50 grain super performance VMAX. We shot around 150 on film this year. We separated the coyotes out when we dropped them off at the fur buyer. His exact comment was tell your partner to stop using his loads and please, please have him shoot yours, The fur damage was horrible with the super performance. VMAX have always shot great out of every gun I’ve tried but there are much better coyote bullets in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: EMP3Originally Posted By: wolftrapperPut it right through the shoulder. Unless you have a "splash", they are dead, and not going to spin, or run. It's not the bullet choice. Any coyote hit a little far back will spin/run, until they bleed out.

I use the V-MAX 50 grain, in my .222 with great success....if I hit 'em right!

Hi wolftrapper,

I've just bought a .222 Rem. I bought 250 50 grain V-Max bullets. My other components are: Fed 205M primers, Norma brass, and IMR-4198 powder.

How do you load your 50 grain V-Max for your .222 Rem?

Thanks.

OK why do you think that was a LONG post? Are you reading this on your smartphone or a larger computer screen? I'm on a 15" small notebook computer and have no problem with the length of the OP message. My posts are a lot longer than his BTW.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_ why do you think that was a LONG post? Are you reading this on your smartphone or a larger computer screen? I'm on a 15" small notebook computer and have no problem with the length of the OP message. My posts are a lot longer than his BTW.

what are you talking about?

I think the V-Max is a fine bullet, for prairie dogs. I’d be using something more substantial out of a 22 centerfire for coyotes. That’s not to say they won’t work much if the time, I’ll still use a bullet more suited to anchor that coyote. I’ve mostly moved on to the 243 anyway though.

Very informative and entertaining post. About all I can add is if you want to blow a coyote in half try Sierra 70 gr. match king #1505 out of a .243 running about 3450 fps.

Hornady SUPRERFORMANCE AMMO is simply the best...Ive shot it all,,,the video doesnt lie...Give me the v max and I will put more fur in the truck because they can make factory better then most can make reloads....it is accurate deadly and most of all DEPENDABLE...

lol.gif
ya ok. What happens to the ones that don't make the cut for video?

I was trying to reply to DiRTY DOG and clicked on the wrong place and replied to the wrong guy/post. DiRTY DOG said the OP post was too LOOOONG. So I was trying to ask DiRT DOG why he said that.

Actually what I was really wanting to say is that it's not just the type of bullet but the Gun barrel length, twist rate and the type of bullet that makes the difference. If you are going to shoot those 55 grain V max bullets it requires a longer twist rate such as a 12:1 or so. Not a 7:1 twist ratio like I use in my AR15 5.56. I have to use the heavier 62 grain and up bullets for the 7:1 Twist rate on my 18" long barrel.

I wish that you had included information about the type of barrel on your gun and the twist rate of your barrel.

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThat was a loooooong original post...

What it comes down to is that your 6DTI took care of business and saved the day. Twice! There's nothing else to say.
thumbup1.gif

Hahaha!! That was probably the longest post I have made in the 9 years I have been on predatormasters.

The 6 dti has quickly become my favorite calling rifle. Very minimal fur damage so far with the 55gr noslers, and all drt.

Stone dead most every time...the video dont lie......if there are some that leave its always bad placement...that HORNADY wont let you down.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_

Actually what I was really wanting to say is that it's not just the type of bullet but the Gun barrel length, twist rate and the type of bullet that makes the difference. If you are going to shoot those 55 grain V max bullets it requires a longer twist rate such as a 12:1 or so. Not a 7:1 twist ratio like I use in my AR15 5.56. I have to use the heavier 62 grain and up bullets for the 7:1 Twist rate on my 18" long barrel.

Actually a 1:8 twist barrel will stabilize a 55 gr bullet just fine.

Nervous with fearful anticipation, he slunk out onto the parapet with a single example of a Hornady .224 55 grain Vmax bullet, clutched gently in his grimy, sweaty fist.

Averting his eyes, he lifted it high overhead, exposing its gleaming copper jacket and vibrant red tip to the view of the valley below. Within an instant every jackrabbit and rodent in sight wilted and every crow flying overhead fell from the sky. Coyotes screamed in agony in the distance....”Runners.”, I surmised. His work was done.

Closing his hand, he hurried to safety inside as the storm clouds gathered...lightning flashed in the distance as he closed the safe door. The dreadful power of the Vmax was once more out of sight, secreted within. I stood silent, awe-struck, pondering what I had just witnessed. “Inconceivable.”, I muttered breathlessly...”But, the runners...”

Last edited:
edit*

You know what, I had a long post here. It occurs to me that no one cares about facts. People just want to argue about things they don't have the slightest bit of experience with.

Shoot what you want to shoot, you'll either find that you were an idiot or a genius.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Airedale56Nervous with fearful anticipation, he slunk out onto the parapet with a single example of a Hornady .224 55 grain Vmax bullet, clutched gently in his grimy, sweaty fist.

Averting his eyes, he lifted it high overhead, exposing its gleaming copper jacket and vibrant red tip to the view of the valley below. Within an instant every jackrabbit and rodent in sight wilted and every crow flying overhead fell from the sky. Coyotes screamed in agony in the distance....”Runners.”, I surmised. His work was done.

Closing his hand, he hurried to safety inside as the storm clouds gathered...lightning flashed in the distance as he closed the safe door. The dreadful power of the Vmax was once more out of sight, secreted within. I stood silent, awe-struck, pondering what I had just witnessed. “Inconceivable.”, I muttered breathlessly...”But, the runners...”

this just made my day.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Back