Rifle camo choice

obsessed1

Im going to rattle can my calling guns (22-250 and 12g) I call all year long but most of my calling is in winter. Should I go winter white camo or brown/ green? I'm thinking good all round would be sticking to browns and greys would make a decent all year option. What do you guys run?

Welcome to PM.

You might like to try a sponge job which could be fudged darker or lighter to fit prevailing conditions. We don't have snow down here so not such extreme swings between seasons; some green year round, though. 5 minutes and a sponge of lighter or darker paint can be applied to lighten or darken the overall appearance.

Big game rifle:(mostly winter or mid-summer use; less green foliage either way.)
47979257848_ddc03b30bb_o.jpg
47979313331_20b481604b_o.jpg

Coyote rifle (mostly fall and spring use):
35677806635_91f09e50df_o.jpg

Regards,
hm

I like the simpler patterns, I hope to not over due it though. I also hate for my rifles to be solid black.
Factory McMillan

They don't really need camo to be effective

Any dull colour will work, I'm more concerned with my black barrel as it is an anomaly in nature. If you trying to spot a deer in the forest the straight line of his back is a give away. If I'm hunting with a partner with out a camoed barrel I just look for a straight black line sticking out of the brush.

KEncNP.jpg

xGZlAI.jpg

mF8Jow.jpg

AxVnvZ.jpg

You can kill them with out camoing up the rifle but I'll take every edge I can get.

X5aAGk.jpg

Last edited:
The best universal camo pattern I have used and photographed is MO Brush.
Shadow grass is ok and overwatch has a nice 3d rock appearance.

65% of my hunting is in snow but there is always grey/ brown in the landscape from underbrush and tree trunks. I am thinking browns and greys will blend ok during winter and spring/ fall, while white will stick out in non snow months.Just wondering what other guys do who hunt in similar situations.

Buy a couple of rolls of Vet Wrap either from your local vet (it's bandaging material). It sticks to itself and I use a roll of white for winter and camo for non snow times. It comes in a wide array of colors and sizes. It also is not shiny. It doesn't wear that well but is cheap and provides a nice grip. You can also buy it online. The human hospital version is called Coban (IIRC).

I have run my rattle can jobs in the snow with no problems. The biggest issue, IMHO, is just to not look like what you are. True black is not nearly as common as greens and browns. So going with a green/brown pattern even in snow shouldn't be a problem. Just look around you. If you see brush around that is not white, you're gonna be ok. But painting it white, is probably not a good idea since that will stand out when you are trying to hunt in the brush.

Camo rifles are pretty cool, and I really appreciate the artistry and personalization of some guys rigs. In your case I would go with a very light background and some soft brown/green accents. Do not just paint them white.

But..........

I hunt timber/snow country and I really question the NECESSITY of camo guns. If everything goes right, all the animal will ever see is the unblinking eye of my muzzle. If they come in on me broadside I am much more worried about them picking up on my movement when I try to properly orient my rifle for the shot. Could it help, I suppose. Is it going to meaningfully increase your harvest numbers, No! Good luck.

I just use different shades of lighter colored Browns or grays. Keep it with earth tones and it will always work. Like most have said it proably really doesn’t matter but it might make you feel better. The biggest thing that will get you is movement.

Originally Posted By: HellgateBuy a couple of rolls of Vet Wrap either from your local vet (it's bandaging material). It sticks to itself and I use a roll of white for winter and camo for non snow times. It comes in a wide array of colors and sizes. It also is not shiny. It doesn't wear that well but is cheap and provides a nice grip. You can also buy it online. The human hospital version is called Coban (IIRC).

That stuff is great for camoing rifles! No stickiness, no painting, easy on, easy off.

I bought this for my Ruger American that I'm using for coyote and skunk control:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MX161HW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71eaYMiHEkL._SL1500_.jpg

The camo wraps... the bad thing about them is that they take in your sweat thus your scent. And you really should be removing them from your weapon if they get wet, either from rain, OR from too much of your sweat if you do a lot of hiking with them in your hand.

Got caught in a monsoon downpour with the wraps on. I didn't take it off until after sleep and recovery the next day or so. There was already rust spots trying to form!

I'm worried about the moisture with the tape but it is probably the easiest way to go. For those of you doing the sponge dabbing paint job what are using for paint?

Back