Baiting

She is glad that I finally got my suppressor I can tell you that. Sure makes her sleep a lot more peaceful since she hasn't heard a shot since I got it the first of April.

Glad you're on the baiting thread and looking forward to some more posts. We love pics in case you didn't notice.
smile.gif

I didn't get a thermal scope with a recorder built in. I kind of wish I had. Not just to post on here but for keeping records and shot placement.

Silencer, new thermal.. when will it end. lol

Nice shooting!

THAT's a VW with fur. That may be the biggest black bear I have ever seen a picture of. You could lose your wallet in the crease in his head.

This thread turned up when searching for bait hunting ideas. It's the reason I joined this forum.
I raise sheep in Central Texas amid predator habitat. Currently I use a directional feeder filled with a corn/cat food mixture. My feeder is equipped with a basic timer, a sonic alarm and lights that stay on for 2 hours after feeding and located near my lambing pens. My shooting bench is about 100 yds cross wind.
So far this setup has worked well netting 12 fox, 11 coons, 1 coyote 3 hogs in the last 2 and 1/2 months.
I've been using the carcasses as bait.
What I'm not sure of though is how far away I should locate that second bait pile from my feeder.
Any ideas?

Sounds like you are doing everything right with the success you have had.

Manymag, you can set it up anywhere you comfortable shooting. Most of us here are in the 100ish yard range for our baits, one man has one at 175 but if you have a good rest and can shootem at 200 yds then try it. The further away the less chance of being busted but the more chance of a marginal hit (unless your initials are DU and distance don't seem to matter when using "Parvo" lol).

Sounds like you are doing everything right with the success you have had. Coyote numbers should increase if you use more meat/chicken scraps.

If you were asking how far away to place a bait to get new animals, I would say 1/2 mile minimum with a mile being better.

Last edited:

ManyMag, as Weekender mentioned, place your bait site at a distance you are comfortable with. Mine is only 60 yards from my little cabin and I have taken a bunch of coyotes at that place. The further away you place the bait will lessen the chance of being heard from making any sudden noise, but also it increases shooting distance which may require some more precise aiming / shooting.

If you have a building of some sort to shoot from, distance can be shorter. A building, in my opinion, is the very best way to bait hunt. A small storage building can be converted into a hunting shack or a small building could be easily constructed. It can be insulated, heated and have a warm, comfortable bunk that will allow you to settle in for an all night hunt. Mine is an 8x12 foot.

Coyotes can come at any time, but I have found that they generally come to the bait at night, so being able to stay the night is key to any real success. As long as you are quiet you shouldn't have any problem with a bait site at 50-60 yards or so when shooting from a building. If you are out in the open when shooting then personally I would want the distance to be greater, and as you mentioned, being cross wind would be the key, but even then the wind can change direction and ruin a hunt. It could also be a very uncomfortable night if sitting at a bench for any length of time.

Here is a video of a coyote I took at 60 yards, shooting from my little hobo shack of a cabin. You can see it near the end of the video.

I don’t think the coyote carcass hurts. On three separate nights I have taken doubles at my bait site. The first coyote lay where it dropped and later another one showed up. It didn’t seem to matter to the second one that a dead coyote was there. Not sure about the other critters carcasses. I do know some coyotes tolerate more than others do.

Charlie dont surf....

So I've been seeing this yote on my trail cams since early March. Was passing by my bait area about once a week for a couple months and noticed here the last month or so the weekly visits picked up to about twice a week. Started spot hunting twice a week hoping to meet and last night our schedules collided finally. Had two coons on the bait pile and when they took off and climbed trees I knew something was approacing. Picked up a faint thermal detection to the left about 30 yards back in the woods that soon disappeared. About 5 minutes later this female popped her head up looking about from a terrain dropoff, then took about 3 steps forward giving me a shot at 70 yards. Sorry no video of the shot as I forgot (again) to hit the record button on the X-Sight. 55gr TAP did the job very well. DRT.

pyBiuBO.jpg

xjKRLKR.jpg

Last edited:

Good job, Burn. Remembering to hit the record button in the heat of the moment seems to happen to us all at times. It takes some concentration or awareness to get video vs. just normal hunting. Hopefully you will get it next time.

This male made that rare occurrence of hitting the bait pile in the early afternoon on Wednesday, but I didn't see him. He made a return last night about 3:30 A.M., but we didn't make a connection.

MFDC2061 by Double Up, on Flickr

Tonight he came back early and in spite of some technical dvr glitches I managed to get it recorded. Fairly heavy male for only a summer coat.

IMG_0509 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Last edited:
My what long legs them dead ones have DU, thanks for the video. Now we know the end of his story, like so many others than have dined there.

Back