South Dakota Prairie dog?

Nooner82

Some buddies and I are headed to hunt around Gregory, SD next weekend and was wondering if anyone has hunted around there this year? Wondering how all the rain has affected it

I’m in SD now with the 15 y/o Son. Conditions have been excellent with cooperative dogs, pups aplenty.

This year I’m perfecting my ‘run & gun’ setup. I use a Browning ‘Strutter’ low profile chair & shooting sticks. I think I’ll just leave the bench at home next time. I can lock in steady enough for shots to 300 yards. The low profile helps one blend in, then the dogs come up to do what they do. I move to a good spot then take action as it develops.

We have one more day of shooting. The only mishap so far was tearing the front bumper off on a rock. I may look for a better aftermarket bumper. We saw two snakes so far, on the gravel road. The one was something other than a rattler, the other slithered away quickly.

I have our German Shepherd along, she’s been no trouble. I keep her away from the shooting, shaded & watered in the opened up camper shell. I can’t be having her get bit by a snake or catch some doggie flu from the sage rats.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I’m in SD now with the 15 y/o Son. Conditions have been excellent with cooperative dogs, pups aplenty.

This year I’m perfecting my ‘run & gun’ setup. I use a Browning ‘Strutter’ low profile chair & shooting sticks. I think I’ll just leave the bench at home next time. I can lock in steady enough for shots to 300 yards. The low profile helps one blend in, then the dogs come up to do what they do. I move to a good spot then take action as it develops.

We have one more day of shooting. The only mishap so far was tearing the front bumper off on a rock. I may look for a better aftermarket bumper. We saw two snakes so far, on the gravel road. The one was something other than a rattler, the other slithered away quickly.

I have our German Shepherd along, she’s been no trouble. I keep her away from the shooting, shaded & watered in the opened up camper shell. I can’t be having her get bit by a snake or catch some doggie flu from the sage rats.
I'm 6'3 and had been using the tallest Harris bipod, but it was still a bit short in certain scenarios. I invested some cash, but I'm very happy with this. I usually just sit on the ground or a cheap seat cushion. I'll sit at my table and bench then when it slows I'll go for a stroll. I shot the majority of my dogs from a 3 day trip in a two hour walk. It was wild. It was kinda fun stalking the dogs. I shot them from real steep mesa type deals then got down and was shooting them along the White River.

kWvpCR7.jpg

Last edited:
It’s a bit of a trade off, the best fixed benches compared to traveling lighter. I just can’t see staying in just a few spots for long.

Today I counted 9 pups on one mound. I counted before opening fire. They are smaller but not all that smart.

Back