Green Mountain 10-22 barrel problems:

boogercounty

Green Mountain 10-22 barrel will not eject:
Help!! I am totally unsatisfied with this barrel. I realize that it is a "Bentz" chamber (which I hate!!),but it is virtually useless to me. It will not eject unfired rounds, and only a few of the fired cases. I have a Sharp Claw extractor installed, but still a low percentage of extractions. I might add that I am not a "match" shooter, just a small game hunter. The only bench time this rifle sees is to check scope alignment, occasionally.
Anyone else with similar experiences?? Any ideas or solutions??

Years ago I had a GM 10/22 barrel that gave me problems.I can't remember exactly what it was but IIRC it was similar to what your having. My smith worked on it and the problem was gone. The barrel was extremely accurate so don't give up on it. Get it fixed for sure!!

If you wanta do this yourself,cast a lead slug or simply push a lubed 22 cal pellet to the begining of the lands to protect the lands & grooves. Use a bore brush & burnish the chamber then use a ligth lapping compound to smooth. JB paste will work or a really cheap & micro fine compound can be made from diatomaceous earth (which is basically the same thing you buy as JB paste) you can buy a huge bag of the powder cheap & simply mix it with oil to desired consistency.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Call GM don't do anything till that. It probably has a warranty. Most all aftermarket barrels have the bentz chamber and work fine.

so much this.

why does everyone go to "fix it yourself" when someone just bought a product thats not performing correctly?

better to let the mfg fix it first... as noted the bentz chamber is widely used and tend to shoot great.

at least if you let them fix it you're not voiding your warranty. if you decide to tackle it first and muff it up - your warranty just went out the window and you're stuck replacing a barrel.

My SS Bentz chambered 10-22 was a Wilson made barrel that was stupid accurate....but feeding/extracting the lead bullets was a no-go. The SWC style profile of most lead rim fire ammo tends to be a bit too snug for such chambers. Jacketed/plated ammo shot fine, that is until I tried to use it in cold weather. Killed dump truck loads of gophers with it and recently moved on to another custom 10-22 project.

I have two of the GM 10/22 barrels. I can't extract a dud round with either. I carry a small pocket knife with a pointed blade to remove duds. Neither has a problem with fired rounds.

I would talk to GM as previously stated before doing anything. Enlarging the chamber is going to decrease the accuracy of the barrel. My solution is to shoot ammo with a low percentage of duds.

Back