shotgun reloading question

ny hunter

hopefully I can get this out right
i'm reloading 2 3/4" 12ga. BB's the load says 656 grns. in a 1 1/8 wad[pt1265] the best I can get is 641-650 there's no consistence? i tried a 1 1/8 oz shot dipper but it comes up short? i got the load from BPI buckshot manual.

Kinda normal.
A bb shot can very that, your talking like 1 or maybe 2 difference. Your dipper will very that much.
That is no problem, As long as the crimp looks good.

Occasionally an overshot card blows the pattern. I rarely use them and never in a coyote load. I use #4 buck. Generally buckshot load recommendations specify exactly how mant shot are to be put in the hull. The various buckshot stack 2, 3, or 4 to a layer as you add them to the hull. ALWAYS pattern your load with various chokes. The choke will make or break your load.

I should have mentioned I was weighing the shot.I used the dipper then weighed the shot it's to light with no consistence.Same with just weighing the shot.
I'm following the load data in the manual and using what it calls for.That's why I was concerned about the under weight shot.
I'm doing 10 shot batches to see which shot and choke work in my Remington 1100.

Oh, I get it then. Yeah, the weights of the individual pellets can vary, so you'll almost never get spot on. I dip onto the pan scale a bit light and add the two or three pellets it's short with my fingers.

- DAA

IMG_8231 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
For counting out BB, BBB or T shot pellets I use a shotgun primer plastic tray. Two of these size pellets will fit in each primer hole in the tray.

I just put all of my BB, BBB or T shot in a big plastic bowl and scoop the primer tray into the shot. Then hold the primer tray at a angle over the bowl and let the excess pellets run off the tray back into the bowl.

In the above picture I wanted 86 HW13 BB pellets so I left 43 open primer holes. Using 86 pellets put me about a 1/2 of a BB pellet light of being 1-7/8 oz. Just make sure you look at the tray to make sure there is two pellets in each hole and that there is no extra pellets out of the holes on the tray before you dump the pellets into the shell.

With large shot you may never get the weight of the shot charge right on the money. I have always gone with a little on the light side than putting one more pellet in and having the weight be a little heavy.

Thanks you guys answered my next question to go light or heavy.I'm getting 651.2 out of 74 pellets but not consistence. I like the counter with the primer try.Thanks again!!

I use Bob's technique, have a few primer trays setup up with labels for shot size and quantity. I just dip them into the container holding the shot and shake out the excess

Back