Tell me what I need to know about the Rem 798

pahntr760

recently purchased a Remington 798 in 300 Win Mag. It is "new-used" It appears to be never shot, and has a nice chunk of walnut on it.

I am completely new to Mauser actions in general. As I understand it, the Rem 798 is a Zastava made rifle, imported by Remington. Remington imported the bbl/action and stocked them in the US.

As for their triggers, they claim to be adjustable...but how good, clean or crisp are they? Maybe an Ernie the Gunsmith and clean up needed? Or will it be a replacement needed?

The scope bases are standard LA 98 Mauser screw pattern (large ring?)

As for the stock, I am neither a wood nor synthetic guy...so I will use what is serviceable. Having said that, the walnut on this one seems too nice to bump around my next stopping grounds. I may be swapping it and bedding it into an aftermarket fiberglass of some type...

As for my next stop, after a year here in Korea without my family, we are all moving to Alaska (Eielson AFB, Fairbanks-area) The bummer is I will not take possession of this rifle 'til late Sept when I am home on R&R.

I wanted a bigger game rifle to work with my 6.5x47 Lapua, and I feel this rifle (being CRF) and chambering (300 WM) should fit the bill nicely. I plan to shoot a 200 gr class bullet of some type.

Anyways, if you can decipher my ramblings, let me know what you know/think of this iteration of the 98 Mauser. I will get some pics up soon.

I'm a Mauser guy and I would take a 798 over a 700 all day long. However these guns aren't quite as refined as most commercial zastafa mausers. Spend a little time with them and they are excellent guns. Smooth up the action, adjust the trigger and possibly have a gunsmith polish the sear if you aren't up to it. Some of the stocks I've seen are a little rough, if yours is like that it can be made nice easily enough. I wish I would have bought a handful of the big-bore 798's when CDNN was blowing them out.

Sand the R off that stock and it will cut your groups in half

I just looked at the photos of your gun after typing this and it looks to be a nice one.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a Mauser. A company named Bold, use to make triggers for Mauser rifles. They were like $40-50.00 and IMO well worth the money. I don't know if they are still in business any more.

It looks as though BOLD is no longer in business. Timney may be a candidate if I can't get the stock trigger to clean up.

As for the stock, I am considering bedding it into an aftermarket fiberglass stock. Maybe a B&C?

Don't replace the trigger until you adjust it and try it. I bought a charles daly 30-06 on closeout, which is the same thing as your 798, and was pleasantly surprised with the trigger after I adjusted it, and I'm very picky about triggers. As it comes from the factory it'll probably be about 8 lbs. with 1/4" of creep but they can be tuned into very nice triggers. You can find instructions on the web.

They're good rifles and usually shoot very well, zastava uses better barrels than the typical Remington/Ruger/Winchester crap. I had a little trouble with mine feeding but 30 seconds with a file on the extractor fixed that easily. They're great rifles but sometimes there might be a minor issue that needs fixed due to rushed QC at the factory, the foundation is VERY solid thought.

Several companies make stocks for them that'll work well. I'd be really surprised if you can't get that rifle to perform great with minimal tinkering.

Back