Favorite cold weather shooting gloves?

OKRattler

I'm due for another pair. I wouldn't be but I lost the ones I've had for the past ten years or so. What is everyone else wearing to keep your fingers from freezing off but easy enough to squeeze the trigger while wearing?

Last edited:
Anything above 10 degrees I use a pair of Burton fleece type snowboarding gloves. Really thin, really WARM, fit real nice. I found a pair of under armour gloves that I think are just as good and much cheaper then the Burtons
Anything below 10 I use a pair of cabelas gauntlets. I believe they are gore tex but I may be wrong. These are a little bulky in the finger but I cut a slit in the trigger finger and I can easily pop my finger out without any assistance.

Last edited:
I don't even know what kind I did have but I liked them a lot. You know how many coyotes I shot while wearing those gloves?....I honestly don't know but I got attached to those gloves. Can't believe I lost 'em.
frown.gif

That really grinds my gears that I did that. I wore those so much wearing some other ones might throw me off and I'll have a missing streak or some dumb crap.

I have OCD when it comes to my huntin gear. That's gonna bug the [beeep] out of me.

Last edited:
Gerbing Gyde S4 heated gloves. You will LOVE these. I would get an extra set of batteries as they are a little optimistic on how long they last. The only downfall for me is the temperature selector on the outside of the glove which is lighted. It is a pretty bright light as I hunt only at night. Wrapped Mcnett camo form wrap around it several times and anchored it in place with some camo gorilla tape. Allows me to still set temp. I want but covers the light. Not cheap for gloves but in terms of what we spend on equipment and you WILL be comfortable, cheap.

For several years now I've been using two different pair of UA gloves. One pair lightweight, one heavier. The lighter weight pair works great down to freezing temperatures or a bit below. If it's going to be colder the heavier weight pair goes hunting. No complaints...

I wear a pair of Glacier Glove finger less gloves and use an insulated hand warmer muff with warmers pacs. I like bare finger tips for trigger
and working remote and the muff is a handy place to keep remote and lights

I make my own, I use GI wool liners and make a fingerless over glove. I make the over glove longer than shown now, to the last knuckle on my finger. If I'm just sitting I can curl my finger tips inside the over glove.

They are cheap, I buy the wool GI liners by the dozen and knit my own over liners when I'm in the truck at night. It's a lot cheaper than sitting in a bar and I have warm fingers instead of a hangover.

What's really nice is when the get wet I just hang them on the line in the truck and they are dry by morning. When I'm duck hunting I carry two or three sets in my blind bag and put a fresh pair on when they get soaked.

Best gloves I've ever used. As you can see I have arthritis in my fingers so keeping them warm is essential.

sae0Cx.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm one of those people that gets cold when my hands get cold. And it doesn't take a whole lot for my fingers to get cold.

When I was a kid I got frost bite on my fingers and it did a lot of nerve damage. When my fingers get cold it feels like they've been hit with a hammer. That's not an exaggeration it 100% feels like that.Lol....It's painful. So a good pair of gloves is a must for me. I've toughed it out and just waited for my fingers to go numb so they won't hurt but I really,really don't like doing that.

I have some gloves somewhere that have the flaps on them like mittens so you can stick your trigger finger out and shoot but wouldn't you know it I seem to have lost those too. Or misplaced them probably not completely lost them.

Last edited:
I have been using Simms Guide Fold Over mitt. I love them. Not very bulky but warm. Easy to pull off the mitt to shoot. I use them bow hunting late season and also calling predators.

I use a pair of flip open wool mittens with a light weight liner. I can stick just the trigger finger out and can also put a hand warmer in the mitten across the finger tips if needed. Works real good.

Hunting here in Iowa it can get cold. And what I use Is a double pair of mechanics camo gloves. One size is medium and the outer pair are large. And when it gets really cold I throw a pair of hot hands in my palm under the bottom pair and then one on the top of the bottom pair on the top of my hands. It has served me well when the temps fall to 0 or even -20. If it gets over that then I switch the outer glove on my non-shooting hand to a mitten and through a hot hand in there and put one or two in my jacket pocket on my shooting side. It has taken my through the most extreme temps.

I wear a light weight glove for the most part one that I can actually shoot with and then a muff with a couple hand warmers inside. Works good for me.

No matter the type of hunting, a good hunter will need a quality pair of gloves in order to perform at their best. Hunting gloves aren’t only designed for style, nor are they only designed to keep hands warm in freezing temperatures, they also work to prevent injuries in the field. I know for a fact that my gloves have kept my hands safe more than I can count. Before each season I like to get some new gear, look at all the different reviews. Recently I came across huntingfishingplus.com/best-shooting-gloves and I like what was said about the Hatch ns430. Ordered a pair from craigslist, fir perfectly. For the past few months that I have been wearing them, they seem quite well done. The best glove for you needs to have the perfect balance between protection and warmth, otherwise, you won't be comfortable, your shooting skills will be impaired and even you might be in danger of wounds and frostbite. So, if you are going to hunt on very cold areas your gloves need to provide enough protection but if your hunting ground is on a warmer zone, perhaps a lighter glove would be enough, otherwise you will be putting on and off your glove all day long because of discomfort.

Last edited:
I have tried about every combination of things to keep my hands warm in the brutal cold of ND. When the temps are 0 or slightly above, I typically wear a light liner glove and a heavier type mitt/chopper of some type. I take the mitt off my shooting hand and typically keep the shooting hand in my pocket to stay warm.

When the temp is below 0, which is a lot of time during the winter in ND, I have electric hand warmers in both pockets. They last about 4 hours, so I have 4 or so ready to go to last an entire day/night of hunting and swap them out when they aren't warm any longer. I will keep my hands in the mitts until ready to start calling and then I will take off the mitt on my shooting hand and put it in my pocket to stay warm and ready to pull the trigger.

I hunt in the crazy cold (-20F). I swear by Cabelas Elk Skin Chopper Mitts. They're incredibly light weight and very warm. Best of all they're roomy enough to slip right off when it's time to take a shot. $50

Back