Coyotes in Oregon

g Bo

Just passed through Oregon on I-84 Looks like good coyote country between baker and Ontario. Could anyone shed any light on hunting that area?

There was a well known coyote hunter from Baker city, I believe his name was Phil Simonski, he wrote a book about coyote hunting in that area.

There are a number of coyotes through there, I usually see at least one as I travel through there, I used to run a semi from Seattle to Twin Falls.

It is pretty much like hunting coyotes anywhere else in the west, find public land and there are a lot around there or knock on doors to find private lands.

I got to talk to him at the Seattle sportsmans show and have a signed copy of his book.

Good luck

AWS

Last edited:
The most helpful thing i can say is yes there are tons of coyotes in that country, as you have seen you will need a rifle that can reach out a ways for some of the shots. Another thing is that after the first season they probably know every call ever made so you will have to work for them.

If your used to working desert you know how to hunt it. There is a lot more water in that country than it looks like so working that in the morning or evening should be good. Yesturday i counted seven rattlesnakes within a couple of miles on the road so they are having a good year as well.
There is also a lot of ranches in that area along with BLM land so do your best to see what is what so you don't have problem. Good luck

I'm from Oregon, like others said,lots of public land out that way. Coyotes do get educated fast though. They all know the foxpro play list by heart. I prefer hand calls and feel strongly that Oregon yotes respond to coyote vocalizations better than they do here in OK.. different hunting pressure here etc. etc. I guess.

Back