Ar-10 rebarrel. - which cartridge?

nightcaller

Just purchased a large frame in 308 and want to change the barrel. 243 immediately comes to mind. I have tons of brass and bullets and dies. But.... Anyone have opinions about a 22-243 ar? Feeding issues? I'm planning an adjustable block for shooting suppressed. I'm a sucker for speed.....

Im not sure what the advantage of shrinking the bore to .22 cal would be. Im guessing bullets of equal weight could be pushed faster out of the 6mm bore especially in a shorter 20 or 22" barrel. 6mm catagory also already has a great choice of bullets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HereticI went from .308 to 6.5 Creedmoor to 7mm-08. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

I'll bet the barrel manufacturers support your decision though.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: HereticI went from .308 to 6.5 Creedmoor to 7mm-08. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

ALL good calibers. You can't go wrong with any of them.

My friend has a 6.5 creedmoor and the bullets his gun shot best 129 and up, would pass through the coyotes, coyotes would roll around, get up, and they would run off. He switched to 95 v max mid season even though they only shot 1.5 MOA out of his gun. Those things would blow big holes in coyotes which is fine by me. He found a used 243 carbon fiber barrel and started shooting 58 grain superformance. He shot 14 last winter and none of them ever even took a step. No furn damage at all. I was so impressed I bought a 243 ar10 as well.

I think a 243 win would be an excellent choice if you already have brass and dies. Sticking with a common round like 243 has the advantages of readily available ammunition/brass and more load data. I was looking to buy a 243 win bolt action but then found a good deal on a 6mm Creedmoor. Since they are basically the same thing I went with a 6mm creedmoor bolt action. When building an AR10 I choose to go with 6mm Creedmoor because I already had the brass and dies.
You could always go with the 22-243 if it is your plan to only shoot lighter bullets. With a 243 win and correct barrel twist you have the option of shooting lighter 55 grain bullets or shooting 115 grain bullets. The ballistic advantages of 55 or 70 gr bullet from a 22-243 vs a regular 243 win will not be very significant unless you plan on shooting longer ranges. If you want to use it for long range shooting then a 243 with a barrel twist that would shoot heavier bullets would be your best option.

Originally Posted By: HereticI went from .308 to 6.5 Creedmoor to 7mm-08...
I went from 308 (16") to 243 (20") to 6.5 CM (24"), just cause.. and already had dies for last two..

Back