Stretching cases???

Well I hit all the reloading stores again today to try to find a solution to my problem but that was a strike out.
I did fix my problem the cheap way and just ground off my shell holder until I got a nice smooth easy bolt close. It took three or four tries, grinding just a little at a time. I don't like doing things that way but at least I can reload now and shell holders are cheap and easy to get. My press is caming over a little more than I like but I do like the results.

You also could have cut shim stock(feeler gauge) to fit under the case head in the shellholder to raise the brass up and get .001-.002 or .003(or more depending on fit) more shoulder work.

I've found that sometimes the expander ball is too large or to rough. I just take it out and spin it in a drill with fine sanding paper to polish it a little helps a lot.If you do this go slow as to not take to much at a time.

I bought a RCBS full length die set and also A Redding neck die with bushing but I also had to shave my shell holder a little too.

If your bolt won't close, the vast majority of time it's a shoulder problem. On a Rem 700, just remove your firing pin and keep bumping the should back until the bolt closes with very little effort. If the bolt basically closes by itself, you've bumped the should too much.

If your FL sizing die don't seem to adjust properly, you could go to the Redding body die - you can easily get the shoulder pushed back to where it should be, but the body die won't touch your neck, so after body sizing your cases, you'll have to run them through a neck sizing die.

I've never had a case that was too long that it wouldn't chamber and trimming that case solved the chambering problem. On a tight neck chamber, the neck thickness of a cartridge would grow some and for easier chambering you would have to take some fuzz off the neck.

Back