1st trip to Texas

MISportsman

I am planning on taking a trip to sw Texas next fall to visit my nephew and we are going to hunt javelina and maybe deer. I'm planning on bringing my .270 because of it's versatility of range. Not sure what bullet to use though. I'm stuck between federal trophy bonded tip, nosler partition, or nosler accubond. All shoot well in my rifle, just not sure of what ranges we will be hunting at or how tough javelina are. Suggestions???

I never hunted javelina, but all the bullets you mentioned all all great. I don't know if I've used the federal trophy bonded tip as I hand load, but I haven't ever heard anything bad about the ones you mentioned. I would have to think that Javelina, not being that large, as well as the small bodied deer in TX, you'd have plenty of gun to take care of business you intend to.

Quote:how tough javelina are.

Shoot whatever ya got. Just about any bullet will work on javelina; they're easy to get close to and to put down.

Regards,
hm

That'll work. Javelina are not tough. Their eyesight is poor; they to have good sense of smell and hearing is OK. Get close and you can take them with just about any center fire rifle using any decent bullet.
35571398591_67f1dc4bec.jpg

35571398471_e62bc4c1b8.jpg

Regards,
hm

Welcome. Enjoy your trip. One more word of caution....beware the fleas! Can only speak for S. Tx. javelina, but have never seen one that was not overpopulated w/fleas and as the animal cools, the fleas migrate to nearest warm body....that would most likely be you.
grin.gif
Some of the guys from AZ (IIRC) have said their javelina do not have fleas, but they sure do down here.
cool.gif

Regards,
hm

Accubond's are great bullets for hogs and lots of other stuff, as well.
grin.gif
Javelina are much smaller and therefore not near as tough as hogs IMO.

While targeting coyotes w/a .223 AR, have shot a lot of hogs (to probably 150# or so) w/55 gr. NBT's; most of which were head shot. Have double lung shot a few hogs to 50# w/same combo and also a few javelina w/o any problems. The NBT would probably be OK for double lung on larger hogs, but 55 gr. a bit light for that service to suit me. Both these fell to .223 55 gr. NBT's.

34895177183_3172429d59_z.jpg

35575642821_d1b6522473_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Accubond's are great bullets for hogs and lots of other stuff, as well.
grin.gif
Javelina are much smaller and therefore not near as tough as hogs IMO.

While targeting coyotes w/a .223 AR, have shot a lot of hogs (to probably 150# or so) w/55 gr. NBT's; most of which were head shot. Have double lung shot a few hogs to 50# w/same combo and also a few javelina w/o any problems. The NBT would probably be OK for double lung on larger hogs, but 55 gr. a bit light for that service to suit me. Both these fell to .223 55 gr. NBT's.

I have to go with with as much downrange energy as I can get. I usually miss the first shot and have to kill them on the run.

Last edited:
Looked like a good hit to me; he just didn't know he was dead.
lol.gif

I really like the accubonds, especially on bigger stuff. IMO they are not far behind the partitions as far as holding together for max penetration. IMO, they open a bit quicker on entry. Have used them on deer, nilgai and oryx and never had any issues....super accurate, too.

Regards,
hm

hm1996[img said:
https://live.staticflickr.com/4106/34895177183_3172429d59_z.jpg[/img]

HM, that hog has got some nice cutters.

I got a rather nice 6-point buck this last fall with a 110 gr. Accubond in 25 caliber. Great bullet with drop dead performance.

I hope someone told you that those javelina will weigh less than 50 pounds, a BIG boar. Little hen could be 30-35.

The deer depending may weigh less than 80 or 100 for sure, w/ exceptions for some of W TEXas'

You wont need a cannon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckI hope someone told you that those javelina will weigh less than 50 pounds, a BIG boar. Little hen could be 30-35.

The deer depending may weigh less than 80 or 100 for sure, w/ exceptions for some of W TEXas'

You wont need a cannon.

A 50# javelina would be a big one (based on my weight estimation) but kinda depends on where you hunt in TX. as to deer weight. Hill country deer probably 80-100# or less, (but I understand they have reduced inbreeding up there and deer are bigger than last time I hunted there over 50 years ago). The S. TX whitetails on the ranches I hunt in S. TX run 140-175# based on (scale weight) of most recent ones I shot 5 years ago.
Field dressed 175# vv.......145#...vvv..............150#...vv
36414018051_a144b641fc_q.jpg
35492256102_7bfbafb50e_q.jpg
34852475853_f315237034_q.jpg

Nothing a good 130 gr. .270 or 150-168 gr .308 won't handle, though.
thumbup.gif

Regards,
hm

Back