6.5 Grendel Builds

Bowhntr6pt

I got two Ballistic Advantage barrels quite a while back and just got around to finishing the builds. I went with one 18" and one 20". The 18" will be used mainly for hunting whereas the 20" will be just a shooter for longer range steel smashing. Below are some pics and info.

This is the 18" build, it's built on the 1776 Aero Precision Upper/Lower with a Velocity 3 lb. trigger. I went with a MagPul UBR stock, MOE+ grip, and flip up sights all in Foliage green. The rail is a YHM JT mid-length and will do fine for the job. Gas block is a SS non-adjustable by SLR. I have a YHM OD suppressor mount up front and a Harris bi-pod. MS1 sling and some QD swivels. I like the Leupold mount and it secures the Vortex HS scope quite well. One slight gas block movement and it's running solid with positive last round bolt hold-open.

So far it seems to like the Hornady 123gr SST's with 28.0 grs. IMR 8208 XBR at 2.245 COAL. Shooting at MOA and some just under, more than adequate for hunting.

This is the 20" build, it's also built on the 1776 Aero Precision Upper/Lower with a Velocity 3 lb. trigger. I went with a MagPul PRS stock, MOE+ grip, and flip up sights all in FDE. The rail is by Seekins. Gas block is an SLR adjustable. I have a YHM OD suppressor mount up front and a Harris bi-pod. MS1 sling in FDE and some QD swivels. I like the Leupold mounts and it secures the Vortex PST scope. Had to send the barrel back to BA to have the gas port opened up, was on the small side. Several test shots and gas block adjustments and it's running solid with positive last round bolt hold-open.

So far it also seems to like the Hornady 123gr SST's with 28.0 grs. IMR 8208 XBR at 2.245 COAL. Shooting at MOA and some just under, like the one above, more than adequate for what I need. I do plan to attempt to tweak loads for this rifle and will play with other bullet/powder combinations later on.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamNice rifles! How do you like the UBR compared to the PRS?

I like them both equally. For me, neither one feels "better" than the other.

On 18" and below rifles the URB is a good fit/feel for me.

Looks good. Have you shot any factory fodder with the BA barrels? I just picked up a lightly used 18" barrel on snipershide and am waiting on a troy vtac handguard to complete my build. First time trying the grendel. Have done the 6.8 twice, the 300BO and numerous 5.56/223 ARs.

Here is mine. Loves the hornady black 123 ELD ammo, shoots .6" at 100 yards consistent. Very fun rifle to shoot. Wish I had more use for it here in OH. here's the specs:
* Mega side charge billet upper
* Fulton armory side charge carrier
* AR Stoner matched barrel & bolt 18" with 1-8 twist 5r stainless, 9/16x24 threads
* BCM 15" hand guard
* Red X tactical charging handle
* Spikes lower
* Magpul stock
* ALG single stage trigger
65grendel by psdan000, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: psdan000Here is mine. Loves the hornady black 123 ELD ammo, shoots .6" at 100 yards consistent. Very fun rifle to shoot. Wish I had more use for it here in OH. here's the specs:
* AR Stoner matched barrel & bolt 18" with 1-8 twist 5r stainless, 9/16x24 threads
* BCM 15" hand guard
* Spikes lower
* Magpul stock

That's a really nice looking set up!

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: psdan000Here is mine. Loves the hornady black 123 ELD ammo, shoots .6" at 100 yards consistent. Very fun rifle to shoot. Wish I had more use for it here in OH. here's the specs:
* BCM 15" hand guard
* Spikes lower
* Magpul stock

That's a really nice looking set up!

Thanks, here it is again with a little facelift
IMG_1421 by psdan000, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: longrange454What velocity are you getting with the 18" and 8208. Mine seems to like AA2520 better. I'm getting 2450 with the 123's.

Due to the heat and humidity I've not done anything with these rifles. I have a 6.8SPC build I just completed and other than function testing it has sat as well... just too darn hot and humid to do much right now.

Once the summer is over and cooler/dryer air is here, I'll get back at it. Right now it's indoor brass prep and man cave clean up...lol.

This is the 16in, stainless, 6.5G that I built up for hunting from my ladder. It's built on a billet upper/lower, has a YHM Phantom .30cal QD suppressor on it, Anderson adjustable gas block, 12in hand guard, 3lb Lucas trigger and a Nikon 2.5-10x40mm scope. Here is a coyote that I intorduced to "my little friend."

20190427_060539 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Here is my 20in 6.5G also built on a billet combo, 4-16x50mm Millet scope. Such a nice rifle to shoot, effective too....

65Grendel coyote by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoThis is the 16in, stainless, 6.5G that I built up for hunting from my ladder. It's built on a billet upper/lower, has a YHM Phantom .30cal QD suppressor on it, Anderson adjustable gas block, 12in hand guard, 3lb Lucas trigger and a Nikon 2.5-10x40mm scope. Here is a coyote that I intorduced to "my little friend."

Here is my 20in 6.5G also built on a billet combo, 4-16x50mm Millet scope. Such a nice rifle to shoot, effective too....

NICE!

Just got a Form 4 approval 6-30-19 and awaiting arrival of the stamp at my dealer for another YHM .30 Cal LT can... I love the YHM cans, was a great deal at just under $400.00.

Just 15 minutes ago I drove up on a pack of hogs... just too dang hot to mess with them right now... they better look out come September.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoThis is the 16in, stainless, 6.5G that I built up for hunting from my ladder. It's built on a billet upper/lower, has a YHM Phantom .30cal QD suppressor on it, Anderson adjustable gas block, 12in hand guard, 3lb Lucas trigger and a Nikon 2.5-10x40mm scope. Here is a coyote that I intorduced to "my little friend."

NICE!

Just got a Form 4 approval 6-30-19 and awaiting arrival of the stamp at my dealer for another YHM .30 Cal LT can... I love the YHM cans, was a great deal at just under $400.00.

Just 15 minutes ago I drove up on a pack of hogs... just too dang hot to mess with them right now... they better look out come September.

I can understand about the heat. I had to call it quits at 9am because it was already 91 degrees.

I have a YHM 5.56 Turbo in jail waiting to go on my .17 Rem, .204 Ruger and .223 Rem hunting guns. I LOVE my .30 cal stainless, but half the weight is sure attractive.

Mines a 20” faxon match series heavy fluted. 1-8tw. Gibbz side charger on a spikes lower. Elfman se trigger with a faxon bcg and Alexander bolt. Has a 15” Troy alpha rail on it. Wish I could post pics but I don’t know how to anymore.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishMines a 20” faxon match series heavy fluted. 1-8tw. Gibbz side charger on a spikes lower. Elfman se trigger with a faxon bcg and Alexander bolt. Has a 15” Troy alpha rail on it. Wish I could post pics but I don’t know how to anymore.

I have a 20" Faxon build using the 6.5 Forums "Group Buy" barrel. While there are a lot of Faxon fanboys out there I was less than impressed with the barrel upon arrival, showed up with rust on the outside and accuracy so far has been nothing to write home about.

E-Mail me a pic I'll try to post it for you.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishMines a 20” faxon match series heavy fluted. 1-8tw. Gibbz side charger on a spikes lower. Elfman se trigger with a faxon bcg and Alexander bolt. Has a 15” Troy alpha rail on it. Wish I could post pics but I don’t know how to anymore.

Back