Bipod Advice

TXCOONDOG

Looking to buy a bipod to use on my AR and BA’s rifle on the bench and prone shooting in the field.

I know nothing about them but considering a quick release (swivel with ability to lock in place too) set up that mounts on a picatinny rail so I can easily move and/or remove it.

Not sure how about height, etc.

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS....calibers it will be used on 22 lr- .308

Last edited:
I like Harris brand Bi-pods, not too expensive but well made. There are other more expensive bi-pods out there but the Harris does what I need.

I've had guys bring the cheaper "Harris Type" ones to class and they break or the bolts and screws come loose after a half-days use.

I have come to love the 6"-9" versions over the 11"-13" but still have and use lots of both sizes.

The swivel versions is a few more $$ but well worth it, especially when shooting prone on uneven ground.

EDIT TO ADD- stay away from the cheap mounts, especially the QD ones, they simply are junk. I have perhaps 15 or 20 Picatinny mounts from YHM as well as several YHM MLok and KeyMod mounts... they have held solid.

Last edited:
I find the shortest bi pod to work best from the bench not sure but I think they are 6 to 9 in.Dont buy a cheap one you will not be happy.I like harris bi pod there are better but the harris will do you also I would buy the swivel model that cants left and right.Good luck!

I am a buy once cry once kind of guy. Have no experience with them so I’m counting on ya’ll for guidance.

All my AR’s have keymod slots and my BA stocks are flat bottoms with two sling studs in the front of the stocks and not sure if the picatinny rails mounting holes will line up with the studs holes on the B&C medalist stocks.

Model numbers, etc would be very helpful and appreciated.

Last edited:
It depends upon what you want to do with them. I shoot prairie dogs off a bench with mine and I've gone with several ebay special 6-9" harris knockoffs for $25 each. Only get the swivel kind, don't mess with one that doesn't swivel. I've had to tweak a couple of them to make them work right but they're for prairie dogs, I'm not holding off the chinese army and they're not for the elk hunt of a lifetime. I carry five rifles on a PD hunt and got tired of swapping bipods, hence one cheapie for every rifle. There's nothing really cosmic about a bipod, they're a couple of metal posts that hold a rifle up, they don't need to be built with the tolerances of a mass spectrometer.

If it's one bipod for all your use then buy a harris to rely upon. Harris makes a model for everything and if some of your rifles have sling swivels then get the model that attaches to the stud, they hold fine. I'd only go with the picatinny if all my rifles were outfitted that way. If you're shooting off a bench then get the 6-9", shooting prone then go with 9-13" and sitting go with the tall one which I can't remember what the height is right off hand. Whatever you do make sure you get the one that swivels, the ones that don't are a pain when you're not level, which is 98% of the time.

I like my GG&G XDS-2 bipod. It attaches to a pic rail. I add the adapter to all my rifles and swap it around. It goes 45° forward to get low enough for a bench, then 90° for prone, up to 10.5" tall. It has cant and pan capabilities as well. I feel that it at $200 is a far better value than multiple cheaper and lesser ones. And last, but definitely not least, they're Made in USA by Americans.

https://www.gggaz.com/xds-2-tactical-bipod.html

Originally Posted By: GaryC

If it's one bipod for all your use then buy a harris to rely upon. Harris makes a model for everything and if some of your rifles have sling swivels then get the model that attaches to the stud, they hold fine.

Oh yeah. You betcha.

Atlas BT65-LW17 CAL(cant&lock), does not pan and doesn’t twist on bench when shooting. Will make you bawl at purchase!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogTo tall and it won't work on the bench, to short and it won't work in the field.......choose wisely.

Buy one that does both, well.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogTo tall and it won't work on the bench, to short and it won't work in the field.......choose wisely.

i have searched for that bipod for over 40 years.

which one is it?
rolleyes.gif

All of my rifles have Harris bipods on them. I use sand bags when I shoot off of a bench.

My Harris bipods are all Swivel models and they are the HB25S 12" to 25" or the HB25CS 13.5" to 27".

With the 13.5" to 27" I can shoot sitting down on flat ground or use it in the prone position. For laying down prone on flat ground with the 13.5" to 27" I have to put the legs in a low spot or put my elbows on a little bit of a high spot. Most of the time when I am laying prone I am on a hill or slight rise so the longer legs work fine in the prone position.

There are some cheaper made bipods that are 13" to 23", it is well worth the extra money to get the 12" to 25" or the 13.5" to 27" Harris Swivel models.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogTo tall and it won't work on the bench, to short and it won't work in the field.......choose wisely.

which one is it?
rolleyes.gif

I linked it above. 6-10.5" has a bench and prone covered very well. They fit the OP's request well.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGLooking to buy a bipod to use on my AR and BA’s rifle on the bench and prone shooting in the field.

I have 4 Harris bipods and have had them for years. In fact, I don't think anyone else was even making them during the time when I bought mine.

There are many others on the market today but Harris are high quality bipods.

As has been said above, one size does not fit all situations and that is the reason I have ended up with four of them over the years. The one I use the most is my shorter one I use off a bench.

When I am hunting coyotes, I now usually use my trigger sticks tripod because of the versatility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogTo tall and it won't work on the bench, to short and it won't work in the field.......choose wisely.

which one is it?
rolleyes.gif

I linked it above. 6-10.5" has a bench and prone covered very well. They fit the OP's request well.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGLooking to buy a bipod to use on my AR and BA’s rifle on the bench and prone shooting in the field.

ok, i see what you are saying. usually when i think field use i am thinking shooting sitting on my butt or a low stool or chair.

but yes, prone in the field or off a bench the shorter ones will work for both.

I run the 6-9 harris swivel on my bolt guns with a protektor 13b rear bag. This setup works well for me and I like the taller rear bag. I shoot from the bench, never prone. I use sticks for hunting unless I can rest it on the hood of the truck or a big rock.

I've run a few different Harris bipods and they were OK but I now run an Atlas and much prefer it over the Harris. Expensive? yes, but for me it was well worth it. I normally shoot it off the bench or over a vehicle hood but have shot it prone in a short grass field. My model I have is the BT46-LW17.

I know nothing about them but considering a quick release (swivel with ability to lock in place too) set up that mounts on a picatinny rail so I can easily move and/or remove it.

Not sure how about height, etc.

Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS....calibers it will be used on 22 lr- .308

While I don't mind using a bipod from a bench, I never found them that useful in the field. They just end up being too tall or too short. In order to try and solve that, I went with the Versapod. But trying to drag 2 or 3 bipods along "just in case" one was too tall or too short was just too much gear. So I went with a short bipod, bench rest height of 5-7in and a set of sitting/standing height bipod sticks, the Stoney point Pole Cats, now made by Primos. That set up served me well for many, many years. I loved being able to put the Versapod mount on multiple guns and being able to switch the bipods around.

IMG_2448 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Last year I upgraded the bipod sticks to a Night Stalker Tripod from our friends over at Night Goggles. Love them. Yes, they are a bit heavier than the bipod sticks, but much more stable.

00172 (1) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: 450 DakotaI use Atlas now. Sold all my Harris ones. You can get leg extensions for the atlas as well. Very quick to put on and off. They are pricey.

Worth the money. Accu Tac is another great one to look at. My GG&G isn't as refined as these, but it is very rugged and stable...just not as many features.

Back