6TCU velocity

Acronin

I was pleasantly surprised when I finally choreographed my 6TCU loads out of my 16.25" MGM contender barrel.

I was using 70gr Speer TNTs 28.0gr H335 and a cci450 magnum primer.

My 5 shot average was 2805 fps. This is the beginning in my load development. 28 5, 29.0 and 29.5 to try next.

Got right at 1 moa as well but I didnt have a rear rest so I'll try that load over again.

I built a rifle on an XP action this year in 6TCU. My fire forming loads came from the gent that loaned me the reamer, used benchmark. H335 was always my go to powder in a TC and XP in years past, still have my Xp in 6x45.

I stocked up on 70 grain TNT’s as they always shot well. Picked up some of the 58 grain vmax. Have high hopes the will
Give speed and accuracy. The TNT performed very well accuracy wise a while back prairie dog hunting. It fought the wind well, splat factor was not what I figured it would be, may be a speed issue.
AA2200 is supposed to give the best speeds. I have been warned top end is hard on brass.

Well I like 65-85gr in this cartridge because if I shoot anything much less than that I may as well kept it in .223. I shoot a TON of prairie dogs and between sets I have this little guy jb my pickup. It's safe being a single shot, maneuverable in the pickup cab being only 24" in total length and I can keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. It shoots the 58gr Vmaxs and 65gr vmaxs well, but not always sub 1". I like speer bullets, my buddy has great luck with 50TNTs in his AR and I have had really good accuracy with their 52gr HPs in my 223's and .222 and. 22-250. I thought I'd give these a try and I really like them so far. Very limited experience. I would also like to have a nice light coyote rifle that's dependable and after seeing 2800fps with these TNTs I'm excited to try this load on coyotes.

I shot all the loads from my H335 batch with 70 gr Speer TNT's and the accuracy was marginal. Best group was 1", but the velocity was as fast as 2950 fps! Again, this is out of a 16" barrel. I'm really impressed.

I'm going to try the Nosler 70gr BT's which I have tried in the past with not great results. But I think I'll give them another try. There are a ton of people who swear by this bullet. Any suggestions?

I have a ton of 58 Vmaxs and have a decent load for the 65gr Vmaxs, but nothing fantastic.

Andy

Acronin, that's pretty good velocity from a 16" barrel. I shoot an AR in 6x45 with a 20" barrel that gets 2959 fps with H-335 and Sierra 70 gr. Blitz, but my load is 26.6 grains. I might could push it faster but have found good accuracy there.

At one time the TCU's were common in the Contenders. A buddy had a 7mm TCU that was pretty neat. Good luck with that fine cartridge.

TCU
Thompson Center Ugalde
Designed for metallic silhouettes.

There are several TCU cartridges. The 6mm,6.5mm and 7mm these three being seen or noticed the most. I have seen several 25’s, I don’t think it caught on because of bullet selection at the time.

All are derived from 223/5.56 parent case. Majority of taper is removed along with a sharp shoulder.
I have worked with the major three in various platforms. I found the 7mm to be the easiest to glean accuracy with. Yet my favorite is the 6mm. As mentioned in many articles on the cartridge, fire forming loads will often be very accurate. Formed brass will gain some powder capacity, allowing more speed. A bit more accuracy may be gained with formed brass.

A good basic wildcat to start out with on a budget. These three taught me a lot.

Back