Weaver Gone?

Stob

I have/had a Weaver T-36 benchrest scope, and it was not holding adjustment for point of aim. Bushnell now services these, so I sent it in for repair with the $10 they asked for to ship it back. In a couple weeks, I get a letter in the mail returning my check, and the form letter simply said they were returning my check per their warranty policies.

A week later (two days ago) a box shows up at my door with a Bushnell 6x20 scope in it, no explanation of any kind. So I called Bushnell service number, and was told Weaver is no more, gone, no more made. My scope was not repairable and they sent this as a replacement. I told the lady this scope is not a benchrest scope, it doesn't have the magnification, doesn't have the fine crosshairs, etc. She said to look on Bushnell's website and pick a scope that would work and let her know.

Well they have nothing that fits the bill, their "tactical" scopes looks like they are being phased out, and the reticles suck for my purposes. So this morning I sent her an email and said either return my old scope intact or pay me cash for my scope. I'll see how this turns out, at a minimum I want my scope back. I will have it locked and I have a set of external adjustment mounts I can use it on.

Frustrating.

Sad to see Weaver go out. They have been around a long time and have produced some good scopes. When I was a boy Weaver was a leader in the industry.

Could you pick out the most expensive Bushnell then sell it on eBay then maybe look for your used Weaver on forums or eBay?

They pulled the crap on me only I sent in a 6500 for repair and they said they could no longer repair it and they were discontinued. They sent me a Forge as a replacement. Its an OK scope but I'm not overly crazy about it.

If you get your scope back, Iron Sight in Tulsa might be able to repair it. www.ironsightinc.com.

I have tried to warn folks about the goings on at Bushnell.

A Forge for a 6500??? OMG I would have made them go to their Elite Tactical line.

I got this from the horses mouth, their is no repairing anymore. All parts were thrown into a dumpster.
Just replacement. Yes it is new but take a close look at the warranty.

I guess if you make,support and sell a good product it will put you out of business. Cheaper to give you a fancier tacticool looking scope, priced equal or higher but of lesser quality.
Wonder how Leupold has stayed afloat all these years.

I WAS a huge Bushnell fan. I have spent thousands of dollars with them. I am keeping my Tactical scopes as long as they will warranty them. ( these are supposedly in the race for government contracts).

Burris and Leupold will get my money.
Jeff

Originally Posted By: jsh
I WAS a huge Bushnell fan. I have spent thousands of dollars with them.

I still am- to a degree. If it's a 3200 or a 4200 then that's one fine scope right there. I have an ancient 4200 (made by Bausch and Lomb) on my .220 Swift that has served me well for a couple of decades. I have 3200 and 4200 scopes on other guns and they are just clear as gin. Pretty sure they will never be coming off for something else.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: pyscodog

If you get your scope back, Iron Sight in Tulsa might be able to repair it. www.ironsightinc.com.

That would not open for me, Bill.

Just try a Google search for Ironsightinc in Tulsa and see if that works. It came up for me. He does repair Weaver according to his site.

Rusty, I am not taking glass off and replacing.

Rather I am going with makers with a better track record for warranty work for future purchases.

I also have some B&L glass. It is really good, but not up to light gathering capability of what WAS available.

Originally Posted By: jsh
I also have some B&L glass. It is really good, but not up to light gathering capability of what WAS available.

Ah. Well, that's not an issue with me. I only shoot smallish critters and only when it is daytime. Always plenty bright for these old eyes.

Originally Posted By: StobI have/had a Weaver T-36 benchrest scope, and it was not holding adjustment for point of aim. Bushnell now services these, so I sent it in for repair with the $10 they asked for to ship it back. In a couple weeks, I get a letter in the mail returning my check, and the form letter simply said they were returning my check per their warranty policies.

A week later (two days ago) a box shows up at my door with a Bushnell 6x20 scope in it, no explanation of any kind. So I called Bushnell service number, and was told Weaver is no more, gone, no more made. My scope was not repairable and they sent this as a replacement. I told the lady this scope is not a benchrest scope, it doesn't have the magnification, doesn't have the fine crosshairs, etc. She said to look on Bushnell's website and pick a scope that would work and let her know.

Well they have nothing that fits the bill, their "tactical" scopes looks like they are being phased out, and the reticles suck for my purposes. So this morning I sent her an email and said either return my old scope intact or pay me cash for my scope. I'll see how this turns out, at a minimum I want my scope back. I will have it locked and I have a set of external adjustment mounts I can use it on.

Frustrating.

Stob: sent you a PM

from what I have heard from a weaver rep was that the company that owns Bushnell bought weaver so they could discontinue the weaver line because they are the main competition to Bushnell. Bushnell is revamping their scope line up and coming out with a new line with a higher profit margin. the only Bushnell scopes I own are old B&L Bushnell's. I have 2 3-9's and 2 4-16x44's

I don't think Steiner/Burris repair anything, replace or sell you an "upgrade". I had a 6x30 Milatary/Marine bino that started to fog when going outside in the winter. Customer service rep gave me a repair authorization(after I gave serial number), a couple weeks after they received them, I get an email saying they are not repairable. They offered me a new pair(8x30), price was the same I see them on sale for. I told them I was trying to find a pair to look through, to make sure glass quality was similar. A day later I get a shipment notice. A day after that I get an email from Burris saying there is nothing wrong with a rifle scope I had in previous to the Steiner binos(the illumination switch still does not function correctly and the power ring is very hard to move in below freezing temps). No more Burris or Steiner for me.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
It seems that quality in so many things is less now than it used to be.

that'll happen when some nameless group of accounts at a 'equity management firm' is making the financial decisions - or when the market will no longer bear the elevated cost to keep quality at the level it once was.

when said 3rd party accountants gotta find pennies in the budget, outsourcing to lower priced manufacturing (ie: china) is usually the first thing to happen - which in turn usually results in lesser grade of product.

dont get me wrong - you can get GREAT quality produts from places like china - but they charge nearly as [beeep] much as it would cost to produce it domestically for that level of QC.

its a [beeep] shame, thats for sure - once great american products killed by bad business decisions....

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI don't think Steiner/Burris repair anything, replace or sell you an "upgrade". I had a 6x30 Milatary/Marine bino that started to fog when going outside in the winter. Customer service rep gave me a repair authorization(after I gave serial number), a couple weeks after they received them, I get an email saying they are not repairable. They offered me a new pair(8x30), price was the same I see them on sale for. I told them I was trying to find a pair to look through, to make sure glass quality was similar. A day later I get a shipment notice. A day after that I get an email from Burris saying there is nothing wrong with a rifle scope I had in previous to the Steiner binos(the illumination switch still does not function correctly and the power ring is very hard to move in below freezing temps). No more Burris or Steiner for me.

Ive got 2 Steiner GS3's. I sent one in for a very minor repair and had the same scope back in about 10 days.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI don't think Steiner/Burris repair anything, replace or sell you an "upgrade". I had a 6x30 Milatary/Marine bino that started to fog when going outside in the winter. Customer service rep gave me a repair authorization(after I gave serial number), a couple weeks after they received them, I get an email saying they are not repairable. They offered me a new pair(8x30), price was the same I see them on sale for. I told them I was trying to find a pair to look through, to make sure glass quality was similar. A day later I get a shipment notice. A day after that I get an email from Burris saying there is nothing wrong with a rifle scope I had in previous to the Steiner binos(the illumination switch still does not function correctly and the power ring is very hard to move in below freezing temps). No more Burris or Steiner for me. went through the same thing with Burris. Sent in a scope for repair and was told it was not repairable and was sent a cheaper replacement.

Back