Yote pups out and about yet?

Burnsome...

I figured it wont be long before the next fresh batch of yote targets are coming out, but have yet to see any around NW Georgia here.

Anybody seen any yet?

Based on some coyote tracking data from several studies, I pulled the following dates that apply to North Dakota coyotes. The other dates after breeding, will change based on the average breeding dates, but it is a good general time table:

Average Breeding Date: February 3

Average Birth Date: April 8 (63 days gestation)

Average litter size: 6

Typical Date For Pups Outside Den: May 10

Weaned: Mid – end of May (4-6 weeks after birth)

Leave Den site: Mid June to early July (8-9 weeks after birth)

I was putting in water gaps between storms this weekend and ran across this one out with one of the parents. Took a couple of phone pictures and went on about my business.

Was seeing a pup in the same spot during my morning drive to work last week. Other than that, haven't seen any others here in northeast Indiana. Crops are high enough to hide them and I haven't had time to do any scouting lately. Wifey is keeping me busy with the honey do list.

Last edited:
went out and shot prairie dogs Fri. and Sat. with a friend and we saw two separate litters. One litter had 5 and an adult and the other litter we only saw the 6 pups, no adults.
Cool thing about the 6 was that they came right into our shooting area while we were still popping pdogs and started eating and grabbing and running off with dead. They had no fear of our shooting. I shot a pdog just 30 yards from one pup and he must've smelled bloodin the air because not 10 seconds after shooting it the pup bird dogged his way right over to it and chowed down. He ate two pdogs then went and got a drink from the pond we were shooting over. Took a few pics. with my phone. Didn't shoot any of the pups, just enjoyed the show.
KIMG0371 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
KIMG0380 by Tim Richard, on Flickr
KIMG0381 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

Nice work!

They will be nice and prime come Late October, these 12 Coyotes would be worth about $1,000 in fur come Auction time!!

Time for the Nay Sayers to reply with - Should have killed them when you had the chance! A good Coyote is a DEAD Coyote....Rancher would kick me off his property if I didn’t kill them..........Blah Blah blah.......

Good for you to let them walk, now you can let them get big, we will shoot them later:)

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisTime for the Nay Sayers to reply with - Should have killed them when you had the chance! A good Coyote is a DEAD Coyote....Rancher would kick me off his property if I didn’t kill them..........Blah Blah blah.......

thumbup.gif

flintrock said:
I was putting in water gaps between storms this weekend and ran across this one out with one of the parents. Took a couple of phone pictures and went on about my business.

Seems like we were constantly fixing water gaps this year. I was praying for some sun and heat to dry things out a little. But now I'm done with this heat.

Out and about in SW Montana. Called one in for my son last evening. Called a badger in as well that evening. Lance didn't let either leave. Lol. His first for each species.

Back