22 250 factory ammo

jerrysalmon93

Hi guys, just bought a lower end coyote specific rifle/scope combo..found a new Mossberg Patriot/Vortex combo in 22-250 for $400 OTD so couldn't pass it up. It has 1:14 twist with 22 inch barrel. Will be shooting dogs 50-300yds. I'm guessing I'll probably need to stay around the 50 grain bullet for weight. Any suggestions for factory ammo that might work well in this set up would be appreciated. Not worried about pelt damage, just want some ideas to save some money by not wasting it buying factory ammo that WON'T have much chance of working well with this rig. Thanks in advance!

Winchester White Box 45gr HP's have shot well for me and my BinL uses them for coyote hunting and seems to do well with them but he hasn't killed one over 200 yards. We rarely get shots that far while calling them.

AWS....thanks for the suggestion. Bought this set up knowing it will get beat up riding in my RZR. I can use those Win 45's to break in the rifle...and with a little luck they might just be the ticket. Thanks again.

When I got my TC predator 24" 1x14 I used the win 45's they shoot very well and are very fast, BUT.
I found them to "Splash" on a fully haired northern dog shoulder and not kill well. Try something in 52/53 gr that's where the 22/250 is meant to shoot. I don't use factory but I use 53 gr Berger there out standing...

Originally Posted By: jetman When I got my TC predator 24" 1x14 I used the win 45's they shoot very well and are very fast, BUT.
I found them to "Splash" on a fully haired northern dog shoulder and not kill well. Try something in 52/53 gr that's where the 22/250 is meant to shoot. I don't use factory but I use 53 gr Berger there out standing... Thanks for the info..I'll give that 52/53 range a try as well.

Originally Posted By: McGrawAmerican Eagle Varmint &Predator ammo 50 grain is a good economic one. Graf’s has it on sale now. Originally Posted By: McGrawAmerican Eagle Varmint &Predator ammo 50 grain is a good economic one. Graf’s has it on sale now. I'll grab some and give them a try as well...it would be great if this rifle likes some budget friendly stuff.

The White box shoot pretty well in most rifles. They shoot a little dirty for me, so I keep them on hand for sighting or practice.
I have had very good luck with Remington Accutip 50 gr in several rifles with coyote kills out to over 600 yds.
They chrono just around 3765.
The price has come down on these recently.

In my old rem 788,any and every box of factory ammo that I tried shot good enough to hunt with. Hard to go wrong with the 22-250.

I also have a 788, the original ammo I bought before I got into reloading was FEDERAL and it was unbelievably accurate.
Here's what it says on the box:
22-250 REMINGTON
55 grain No.22250A
SOFT POINT BULLET
This came in a red box with a white and gold diagonal stripe on it, maybe someone on here knows what bullet was used.
Since I started reloading I use nothing but 55gr. Hornady Spire points which will duplicate the accuracy of the factory ammo that I was extremely happy with.

Hornady Varmint express both 50 and 40grn Vmax should shoot well out of your 1:14 twist. I would take a shot with either out to 300 with a 22-250.

Hornady Varmint Express loaded with the 55 Grain V Max should shoot great out of your 1-14 twist. After a sight adjustment on the bottom bull I fired this three shot group out of my Sako AII sported weight 22-250 top bull. Group measures .370 center to center. Grizz
1rAOVzPh.jpg

My buddy and I have 4 TC 22-250,223 barrels/3 rifles, 1 venture(22-250),1 venture predator(22-250),1 dimension with 22-250 and 223 barrels all are 1/12 twist barrels. This will be spinning the under 50 gr bullets fast which can result in more rapid expansion or bullet fragmenting.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger Hawkeye with that same length barrel and twist rate and found the Hornady Superformance shoots very well in mine. 1”-1-1/4” group at 200 yards. They are a 50gr V Max bullet. When I find time I’d like to try and handload some other rounds hoping to get close to the same results.

Back