Opinions on a new knife.

Rock Knocker

I'm thinking about buying this knife, it will spend a whole lot of time sitting in a sheath but I want a larger fixed blade I can count on for medium to heavy use. In case of emergency carve wood, scare away bears, light chopping or batoning wood on the heavy side of use.

I'm not a knife guy, but I found this one for sale at what seems like a good price, maybe too good to be true... Do you think this is a good deal or just fancy looking junk?
47018245134_fcf88a7292_b.jpg

47018245554_0f2d142e6c_b.jpg

Here's the description from the site............

11" Inch Custom Hand Made Forged Damascus Steel Hunting Bowie Knife Fixed Blade Black wood Handle With Leather Sheath Full Tang

Blade Detail
HANDMADE STEEL DAMASCUS HUNTING KNIFE - Blade is Hand Forged with 1095 & 15N20 High and Low Carbon Steel with over 200 Layers.These two alloys are folded together many times, then dipped in Ferric Chloride which eats away at the different metals at different rates showing the Damascus pattern. This is genuine folded steel, not laser printed.

Scores a 58 HRC on the Rockwell Scale - This metal is tough and ready for work. Creating Damascus steel is still unknown to this day. The process has been lost for the past 500 years. Today, we fold several different steels together, dip in Ferric Chloride which eats away the metals at different rates to show the Damascus pattern.

Comes with genuine leather sheath

Handle Detail
Black Wood HANDLE - FULL Tang - designed to fit perfectly in your hand, this golden grip easily balances in your hand. The handle has been sealed with a clear coat polyurethane to prevent cracking or drying out and to preserve the handle for as long as possible.

Size and Measurements
Overall length is 11"
Blade length is 7"
Blade thickness is 4.0mm
Comes with genuine leather sheath

Here's the link to the site, including more pictures. https://www.etsy.com/listing/644561077/1...pro=1&frs=1

All that for $70? I wouldn't trust the quality of such a piece. My guess would be that knife is from Pakistan.

That's about what I was expecting, seemed decent with a full tang but the damascus seemed to put it over the top. And they listed the steel and rockwell hardness but that's greek to me.

Anyone have some good pointers? I'm looking for 6" or 6.5" blade, light enough to not add much weight but heavy enough to survive a light beating.

I'm leaning towards a Ka Bar but I've broken one before doing stupid things like throwing it at tree stumps but wasn't too impressed with the tang. I would like something somewhat unique and custom but I'm not interested in spending hundreds to get it.

Look at the Ontario Knife Co RAT 5. I think it will fit your desires nicely and the prices are good. Nice build quality, good materials and a true full tang knife.

Agree, the Ontario Rat-5 looks like a winner.
The ESSE-5 is thicker, weighs more, costs more, better sheath, otherwise looks equally good.

I really like the TOPS brand knives I don't have any of the ESSE except their arrow head but would consider those. Disappointed with SOG. Like Benchmade. have heard good things about Moore Maker brand from Matador,Texas.

Esee 5 or 6 will fill the bill. I have an esee 6 and I really like it. But my number one go-to is made by Tops knives in Idaho and that is the fieldcraft model. Incredibly high quality (yet affordable) build that you will not be able to destroy! If you want to take a trip into heavy use knives, spend some time over at bushcraftusa.com. Good luck.

If you are simply wanting a good heavy duty Camp/trail knife that will not fail. You should look at the Becker in my ad. Bomb proof, affordable and lots of aftermarket grip and sheaths if you want to accesorize. This one is essentially brand new. It was made by Camillus before Becker switched over to kabar manufacturing. The current designation is called a BK2. Google that to see how much these knives can take.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...548#Post3200548

Originally Posted By: jcs271If you are simply wanting a good heavy duty Camp/trail knife that will not fail. You should look at the Becker in my ad. Bomb proof, affordable and lots of aftermarket grip and sheaths if you want to accesorize. This one is essentially brand new. It was made by Camillus before Becker switched over to kabar manufacturing. The current designation is called a BK2. Google that to see how much these knives can take.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...548#Post3200548

aka the "Campanion". Big tough blade, roughly equivalent to the ESEE-5.

Originally Posted By: jcs271Originally Posted By: RePeteTo be honest.....I'd rather have a good ol Buck Knife.

Which one?

Not my style but the 119 might fit the OP's needs.

Personally the Vanguard is as big as I'd want but I don't use my knives for beating and chopping. I have hammers and ax's for those jobs.

Buck makes knives in almost every shape, size, and price range a person could need and guarantees em forever.
Plus they're made in the USA which is important (at least to me) in these troubled times.

The 119 is nice but would not hold up to the stated use of being able to baton it through wood. I have a vanguard in my hunting pack and love it but not for the purposes above. Buck does not to my knowledge make any heavy chopper type knives and their warranty does not cover "abuse" which is exactly the purpose we are discussing.
Becker, Esee and Tops also have lifetime warranties but are specifically made for this purpose and are advertised as such. The TOPS are actually differentially heat treated so that the spine is softer than the 58RC blades so that it does not shatter on impact.

O4V9QVk.jpg

P.S. Esee and TOPS are both made in Idaho USA by freedom loving Americans! Which is very important to me also.

Obviously you just want to argue and try to prove how smart you are to everyone and I'm not in the mood for it so you'll have to continue without me.

That was not my intention at all. Sorry if you got that impression. It is just a topic I know something about and wanted to steer the op in the right direction and away from what I thought was advice about a product that would not work for his purposes. Nothing else. Again, sorry if it appeared personally offensive. JCS

Back