6.5 Creedmoor AR10

Deadeye260

Hi
I've been eyeballing all the newer factory 6.5CM ARs on the market lately.
I'm just curious how practical are they for hunting vs a AR15 6.5 Grendel.
I know you get some added horsepower, but is it worth the extra cost.I kinda of want one ,if the power gains are noticeably better on game. This would be a 18/20 " rifle shot suppressed ,used for hunting pigs,coyotes and maybe deer. I have limited knowledge on these AR10 platform rifles suppressed. Is there potential issues to watch for? Anyone with experience on this topic?

If a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 doesn’t do what you need for pigs, coyotes, and deer but a 6.5 creed would, then you’re either doing something very wrong, or doing something very extreme.

Not to say a 6.5 Creed LFAR isn’t a great rifle, just saying your expectation of “not being worth the cost” is very apt.

The 6.5 Grendel does great for me at most of my common shooting distances of 100-300 yards. I shoot and handload for the 6.5 CM in bolt guns. I know either are very capable out to ranges well past my normal 300. It's just that if I'm going to loose to much velocity with a 18/20" barrel, be hard on brass and run into pressure issues then it wouldn't be "worth" it per se . I was hoping someone could tell me something from personal experience about the pros and cons. My biggest concern is raised pressure due to suppressor back pressure, and velocity #s. Oh and when the big sounders of pigs come out and things tend to get extreme.

Last edited:
Deadeye, I shoot a 24" suppressed creedmore and don't have any problems with pressure. The guns runs great as long as you keep it clean. Mine runs and cycles 100% of the time and I run some pretty hot loads in it too. The only down side is it's heavy.

Thanks! I've seen lots of vids on YouTube but most are unsuppressed. I assume tuning the gas system would straighten out pressure issues if they were to come up.
From my understanding it's more a matter of timing.

I have a couple 6.5 Creeds, and had one in an AR-10, but largely haven’t been impressed. I really prefer the 6 creed, so my current LFAR is a 24” 6 creed, which is fired suppressed. I also have come to favor 6mm Grendel (243 LBC) over 6.5 Grendel, also in a 24” rifle, but in a smaller, lighter package.

Adjustable gas block with detent adjustments, life is easy switching back and forth for suppression. It’s not as complicated as guys make it seem. Guys talk about “timing” in AR’s like it’s a complex mechanism, but it really isn’t. If you’re over gassed (most common) or under massed, you’ll see very plain symptoms. Upping the mass isn’t always the right answer. If you’re under gassed or over massed (incredibly rare), again, very plain symptoms. I pick my reciprocating mass to set my cyclic rate and recoil sensation, then tune the gas to make the rifles run with that mass - whether it’s a full weight rifle buffer with M16 carrier, or an ultralight carrier with an empty carbine buffer - all of it can be made to run with an AGB and sufficient ammo.

I ended picking up 6.5CM after all. Let me tell ya this thing is a lightning bolt! Its blowing coyotes to pieces and pulling the E Brake on pigs. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm glad I ended up with this setup. The 6.5 Grendel is a Mac Truck but the 6.5 CM is a Freight train!!

Recently bought a Seekins SP10 in 308 from Cabelas. The 308 version was on sale where as the 6.5CM version was not so I bought the 308 version and took the money I saved and ordered a 22in Proof Research barrel in 6.5CM. Put it on Sunday but haven't shoot it yet. This will be my first experience with a Proof Research barrel so hopefully it shoots as good as it looks.

Back