? Seating dies with the knobs on to to adjust (micrometers ? )

Lodgepole

I have the basic type RCBS with slot in stem and knurled lock ring (I detest it )I am going to get something new .I load for 2 22-250s and 3 223s and need a easier system .What are your opinions on this type of die ,I am only into predators and varmints .

Better than pockets in pants. Every rifle seating die I use has them. They save huge amounts of time when seating various depths and allow for easy repeat seating when you find that special depth that works best.

Greg

Originally Posted By: reloader326Hornady makes a nice one that can be added to their seating dies, not sure if it works with all of them, or just the New Dimension models. Works good, but the graduations are a little tough to see.
Edited: looks like they made the graduations easier to see....
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005044090/microjust-seating-stem

The new ones are definitely easier to see. I just bought three more from Academy Sports off the internet. I saved about $10.00/stem over what they were on Amazon and locally.

Greg

That's a great accessory for Hornady dies.

Almost all my dies are RCBS and I have their Competition Dies w/micrometer adjustment for all my "important" calibers. It is relatively easy to adjust those others using the depth gauge on my calipers to measure distance from top of seater screw to top of die and adjust accordingly. There is room for a couple thosandths error if care not taken to avoid tilting the caliber but close enough for government work. Measure, adjust, seat a bullet and check for desired result.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Every rifle I have has it's own set of dies adjusted to reload only for that rifle. I fail to see the problem unless your reloading ten different rifle's with the same set of dies!

I have six 6X6.8 rifles/uppers. I have nine 223's. I believe two seaters with micrometer tops are a lot cheaper than 15 don't you?

All the 6.8 Wildcats have one shoulder height as do the Grendels and their variants. I use bushing dies for them so it's just a $10.00 swap.

Greg

Last edited:
I really like the Redding Competition seating die and the Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die.

They are both excellent seating dies but you can usually get the Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die for a fair bit less than the Redding.

I use the method hm1996 described. I load quite a few calibers, but mostly one or two guns for each.

I can see the use in buying a good seating die for .223 and .308, which would be my main "accuracy" stuff. As well as being the ones that I am apt to experiment with different bullets.

Originally Posted By: Don FischerEvery rifle I have has it's own set of dies adjusted to reload only for that rifle. I fail to see the problem unless your reloading ten different rifle's with the same set of dies!

If you're prudent enough, you'll realize that one die with a micro adjust is repeatable between rifles. One simply need to retain the micro settings for each rifle and load. The micro adjust makes swapping loads and rifles quite easy and repeatable.

That does it ! I am going to leave the stone age and get one of these dies .Stob speaks of the Vickerman ,is that one that can be used on both 223 and 22-250 with some type of bushing ????? I appreciate the advise and experience of you who responded to my post .

With the Vickerman you'd need two Shell Holder Extension #21 for 22-250 and #32 for the 223. I went with the micro adjust Vicekrman for 17 cal. and change it back and forth from 17HH and 17Rem. Have to use two different shell holders. For me with the small bullets it speeded up bullet seating and no longer pinch fingers trying to run them during seating.

Last edited:
I bought a couple and really like them. I set up for each bullet size and take a picture of the dial setting with my phone and put it in my reloading data book. I have found that ogive length is very controllable with these micro adjusters.

Back