Pocket thermals are here! The Pulsar AXION Thermal Monoculars.

NGI_TOM

Offering the highest magnification in its class, the Axion XM38 Thermal Monocular has an incredible detection range of 1,800 yards with its 12 µm pixel pitch sensor. Small enough to fit in your pocket, this feature-rich XM38 thermal monocular is perfectly suited for all your outdoor pursuits. Revolutionary electronics make it possible to conserve battery life with the quick automatic start-up. The high-contrast AMOLED micro display with HD 320x240 resolution produces vivid colors, excellent image quality and flawless performance in any weather condition. A 5.5-22x magnification range with fluid x4 digital zoom helps identify details in objects during the day and at night in almost any type of condition.

Pulsar AXION XM38 (more pics and other models available)

Features:
*320x240 resolution, 12um pixel pitch core
*1,860 yard detection range
*High optical magnification
*4x digital zoom - continuous zoom and 2x, 4x stepped zoom
*Lightweight and rugged magnesium allow housing
*B-Pack mini power system
*Picture in picture digital zoom
*Video and photo recording
*HD AMOLED microdisplay
*Stream Vision app supported
*External power supply adaptable
*Multiple color viewing modes
*Stadiametric rangefinder
*IPX7 waterproof rated
*Included:
*APS 3 battery pack
*Battery pack charging kit
*USB cable
*Hand strap
*Lens Cleaning Cloth
*Carrying Case

Batteries Required:
*1xAPS 3 (Li-Ion) Battery Pack Batteries

It will be slightly better with the Axion considering the Apex used a 21 Micron core and the Axion uses the new 12 Micron core.

Tom, I believe the older Apex XD models had a 25 micron core and the newer XQ had the 17 micron. I wonder how well the Axion models will work for scanning with such high native mag and loss of fov. It seems like they are geared more toward hog hunting than predator calling.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpTom, I believe the older Apex XD models had a 25 micron core and the newer XQ had the 17 micron. I wonder how well the Axion models will work for scanning with such high native mag and loss of fov. It seems like they are geared more toward hog hunting than predator calling. You are correct the older Apex models were 25 micron and the Apex XQ and Trail XQ is 17 micron.

I personally prefer a wider FOV for my scanner as well but used a 1x scanner recently vs my 1.9x scanner and honestly it was too low native mag for the wide open fields I hunt. It is a matter of personal preference. There are lots of different countries using thermals as well as species being hunted so needs are different. The size of the actual device and the high base mag of the Axions can be a pro for certain needs. For those that it doesn’t work for, there is always the various Helion models.

Imo big mag and low fov is poor for coyote hunting. For me a big fov is a must which would limit one of my choices to the XP series helions if I decide to step up from my xd19a.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Imo big mag and low fov is poor for coyote hunting. For me a big fov is a must which would limit one of my choices to the XP series helions if I decide to step up from my xd19a. I opt for a similar set up for coyotes. Lots of hog hunters, for instance, or anything that is spot and stalk like the opposite. They like a lot of zoom on their scanner for positive ID to make sure something is a hog vs other animal before walking/stalking a long ways. Different animals and different terrain, equals different needs. I am glad there are lots of options.

According to the spec sheet published on the Pulsar website the FOV is 5.8 degrees.

http://pulsarnv.com/sku=PL77422&details

This is way to tight for a scanner IMO. You would be constantly moving your head to scan.

I use the Trijicon M300W with a 19mm lens and 22 degree FOV. That works well for me hunting hogs with tight setups in woods at 15 yards to open field crops at 400 yards plus.

I normally just use the electronic zoom when needed and it works pretty well with the 12 micron core but if I am hunting large open areas in ag fields I clip on a 2x magnifier.

I think it's best to use a wide FOV scanner and then go to your shooting scope for better ID if you have a larger lens on your weapon.

It looks like the Axion XM30 would be a better choice with a 7.3 degree FOV but that is still pretty tight. Cheaper too.

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-scopes/axion

Last edited:

Higher magnification resulting in lower field of view combined with shorter eye relief seems to be the direction Pulsar is going lately. Eye glass wearers will have difficulty with the newer models with 14 mm eye relief.. The old HD19a seemed to do a very good job for many and at a reasonable cost. Hopefully more options will become available in the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06 Higher magnification resulting in lower field of view combined with shorter eye relief seems to be the direction Pulsar is going lately. Eye glass wearers will have difficulty with the newer models with 14 mm eye relief.. The old HD19a seemed to do a very good job for many and at a reasonable cost. Hopefully more options will become available in the future
Bering Optics has the Prodigy scanner thermal line in 13mm, 19mm, and 25mm lens with 1x base mag at an affordable price with a decent FOV. Eye relief is the same as Axion at 14mm though.

Flir Breach has wide FOV, 1x base mag, and 16mm eye relief at a relatively low price as well.

The same issue exists with regular binoculars in regards to eye glass wearers. I searched for a binocular with a long eye relief. It was a difficult process but finally found one that has a 19 or 20 mm relief (Eagle Optics), can’t remember exactly. I get a pretty good view on that one when pressing the ocular against my glasses.

A 14 mm eye relief will require me to remove my glasses in order to see any real view at all. With glasses on I could probably see a very small diameter view near the center.

This is why FOV is so important...... Especially with your weapon mounted scope.

This is a 19mm Trigicon.

Last edited:
Copy that Gman, FOV is also very important during the day time as well, first shot into a sounder or pack of coyotes will result in instant loss of follow up shots due to everything running out of your tiny FOV....

I ordered a new FLIR Scion OTM 266 with 640X512 pixel 12 micron Boson core and fixed 18mm lens with a 24 degree view @ 1X native magnification (zooms to 8X) for hand scanning, will have it in my hands soon...the decrease in FOV with the manually adjustable 25mm lens was to derogatory for my taste...but would be good for long range open fields.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
I ordered a new FLIR Scion OTM 266 with 640X512 pixel 12 micron Boson core and fixed 18mm lens with a 24 degree view @ 1X native magnification (zooms to 8X) for hand scanning, will have it in my hands soon...the decrease in FOV with the manually adjustable 25mm lens was to derogatory for my taste...but would be good for long range open fields.

I have been doing some research on scanning units for a friend and i really like the new Scion units. Great features and a 1/4x20 tap on the bottom for a camera handle.

Big thanks to Tom for my Axion XM30. So far, I'm impressed. The only thing that's missing is a laser range finder. If it had that, I think it would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Big thanks to Tom for my Axion XM30. So far, I'm impressed. The only thing that's missing is a laser range finder. If it had that, I think it would be perfect.

Looking at the specs these are nice units. I don't understand why Pulsar did not drop one of them down to 1x or 1.5x native but long as the FOV is not an issue with your hunting style I would have no issue buying one.

It's amazing that there are so many choices with thermal products now. When I bought my first thermal there were no 12 micron cores and any 640 17 micron core would be somewhere north of $10k. Now there are so many choices it makes for a lot of effort to just research all of the thermal units out there and make a buying decision.

Last edited:
I went with the 4x native for a few reasons.

1. We hunt wide open fields that are pretty long. Most of our spots have woods on 2-3 sides with 200-300 yards between us and the woods. If the woods were closer, I would have considered a wider fov.
2. The axion xm30 key has a lower native magnification, but it doesn't have stream vision. This was mandatory because my wife likes to go, but she prefers sitting in the truck. With the OWL mount from night goggles, she can watch from the comfort of the truck.
3. My hunting partner hunts with an QX50 Apex. His scope has the wider fov. I prefer my 4.5 native magnification since most of our shots tend to be in the 125-175 yard range.

Last edited:
Back