Calling in Western Washington

Powerfisher

Howzitgoin all! Its been a while since I have been on the forum so I feel like a newbie. So many new members and ideas! So, I'm getting back into coyote hunting here in Western WA and calling here is a bit harder than I thought. I have a farmer that is having a problem with them taking his chickens and harassing his cows. So, me being me tells him that I will go and help control the coyote population. So he invites me out to stay on the property for a few days and there is absolutely no activity. He did tell me that there hasn't been any activity for a week or so prior to my arrival. While I was there, quiet as can be. No singing at night, no yotes coming to my bunny calls, no answering any of my other calls and no random sightings. I use an open reed call for my yotes and squeaks and I have a bunny bomb that works great in the high desert. All I called in was a small murder of crows a couple of times and the neighbors dog.....I don't have an electronic call so my question is, how in the heck do you mimic a fawn or calf bleat?

Coyotes are dispersed and spending time underground right now.
Find a den and you will most likely find a pair, just harder to see on the wet side.
Fawn bleats and calf bawls are not that difficult on a small open reed call. I use a critter call or Lil Dog. These sounds will bring a doe stomping and a heard of cattle pretty quick.
Pups could be out of the den in a month or two and on their own from july on.

Not so much my experience, but my homework from reading a lot on here and mags, but this time of year i would try more pup distress and/or challenge barks. Like said above, they arent quite as active for food with it warming up and having pups. If they think another pup is hurt or an older yote is a threat they might come out to investigate or defend their young.

What part of wa are you hunting? Im from bellingham and lived there most of my life. North is a bit different than south.

I did use some pup yips and some howls but came up empty. I am hunting some property in Bremerton. Still practicing fawn and calf distress calls. Dont want to go out there and get ole Wiley laughing at me.

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherI did use some pup yips and some howls but came up empty. I am hunting some property in Bremerton. Still practicing fawn and calf distress calls. Dont want to go out there and get ole Wiley laughing at me.
Yeah, i practice with my diaphragm calls and open reeds in the pickup a bunch. Still not stellar, but gettin better at least. I do have an ecall now i cant wait to get out. I have been out locating a couple times and didnt think anything was around, just to see a couple of them on my way out of the area. Persistence and patience, my man. They seem to always be around somewhere!

Try anything different you can think of! Im not a warm weather hunter but the pup distess (especially mixed with growls) has worked for me this time of yr. I use a open reed howler (made by a member here on the forums several yrs ago) for the wines & a ol deer grunt for growling.

Getting a coyote to come out into the open during daylight in western WA can be a challenge. I find that staying in the cover can work better. A remote caller is a real plus in that country as you can set it on one side of a small drainage and watch it from the other downwind side. Baiting or hunting over the farmers dead pile can work also.

Powerfisher,
I sent you an message, we might be close to each other and maybe I can help in some way. Been going after then yotes for over 35 yrs, so I will be happy to help.

Back