Thermal Owners

Originally Posted By: capitolPulsar Helion XP38 when in semi cold weather (30's) acts up. Often it will not power on. Other times the screen is full of multi colored vertical lines and battery must be pulled to reset. Same issue with several batteries. I sent it in to Pulsar and they found nothing wrong. We will see about that this winter. I've experienced the multi-colored lines a few times as well. It seems to have something to do with something covering the lens such as putting the thermal with cap open in a pocket or against my clothes, and then it happens. It hasn't happened for awhile so maybe it got fixed in a firmware update. You are right pulling the battery is the only thing that works to get it working again.

A sticky shutter as mentioned earlier in another thread is another common Pulsar Helion situation which is fixed by a quick NUC. Even with these two items that happen once in awhile, I really, really like my Helion.

Originally Posted By: BozdogkillerPulsar XQ 38 Trail Lrf
Flir 536
Pulsar Axion 38
Leupold LTO Tracker
Boz, are all working well or have you had issues with any of them?

Originally Posted By: gahunter2Flir Scout PS24
owned almost 7 years
zero problems (it's been dropped, banged, dunked, gunked, etc.)
Image quality is not the best. It tells you there's an animal but that's about it.
Same for me as gaHunter2 and Flir PS24 with the exception that the image quality is pretty good for as old as it is.

Zero problems. Good spotter for my needs. Cant tell difference between a coon and a possum at 50 yards but I definately can tell the difference between a deer and a yote at 100 yards.

Last edited:
I noticed that at least some guys in warmer climates seem to have less trouble, could it be that wide temp swings are part of the problem with these units.

UPDATE: I was ready to return my Apex XQ38, already had a return authorization number but just before boxing up to send for repair / replacement I decided to return the scope to default setting. Guess what. That cured the black horizontal lines and the scope is back to operating as it once did. I resighted and it is holding zero now for a few weeks with no issues. I am relieved because I don’t know what Pulsar might replace it with and how much difference I might have to pay, and then there’s the tight field of view issue on newer models. I am very pleased with the Apex. Too bad they discontinued it.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
UPDATE: I was ready to return my Apex XQ38, already had a return authorization number but just before boxing up to send for repair / replacement I decided to return the scope to default setting. Guess what. That cured the black horizontal lines and the scope is back to operating as it once did. I resighted and it is holding zero now for a few weeks with no issues. I am relieved because I don’t know what Pulsar might replace it with and how much difference I might have to pay, and then there’s the tight field of view issue on newer models. I am very pleased with the Apex. Too bad they discontinued it.

I had those lines for a shot time. After I started using the Pulsar external battery I haven't seen it since??? Coincidence?

I had the black line problem when using the Pulsar battery pack also, so batteries weren’t the issue. I am just glad it cleared up.

Back