Magnetospeed or Labradar?

Wasn't even a choice, for me.

Labradar has a speed limit of 3900 fps. Almost everything I shoot is faster than that.

Else I'd have probably got one. Magnetospeed instead though. It's okay. But sometimes I wish I'd have kept my old Chrony around too.

- DAA

There is a little known glitch in magnetospeed. If you shoot say 5 shots then clear the series, the SD's will usually go way down. Try it.

I've been using a Magnetospeed since the very first ones hit the market and mine have worked flawlessly on everything from 17 HMR to my largest centerfire rifles.

When I bought my first MS I shot it inline with my dad's Oehler 35 to confirm accuracy then lent my MS to the owner of Long Range Only forum that also shot my MS inline with his Oehler 35 and Jeff got the exact same results I did which was the MS would read a few FPS faster than the optical units due to the MS reading bullet speed at the muzzle versus 15-20 feet away. Shortly after loaning him my MS he sold his Oehler and bought his own MS and has been using it ever since. Pretty sure he's had an LR unit for awhile too, but I believe he uses his MS considerably more and I'm not sure he is a real big fan of the LR.

As we all know, the MS bayo is strapped to the end of the barrel and can sometimes affect POI. The MS bayo weighs very little and the guns I've used it on, POI change has been next to nil and with no affect on group size. All of my muzzle brakes and suppressors weigh substantially more than the MS bayo and they change POI much more but like the MS, they too have shown not to change group size either.

If attaching the MS bayo to the barrel is a concern, there are companies now making different devices that allow you to attach the bayo to your stock.

I'm pretty sure David Tubb and his son in law generally always shoot, even in competition, with the MS bayo attached using some type of stock mounted attaching system.

Both the MS and LR have there pros and cons, neither is without its shortcomings.

For ease of use and setup, it definitely favors the MS. Also, you can setup and use the MS at a range where others are shooting without a cease fire. The LR won't work very well for you if you shoot at a range with other shooters.

Unlike the MS, the LR unit is definitely capable of doing more than just give you accurate muzzle velocity from your rifle though. For me, that's a non issue because that's really all I care about, but the LR is certainly capable of doing more than that and if those things interest you and you shoot where there is no other shooting going on, the LR may be the right chronograph for you.

Based on my range buddy's initial start-up/aiming troubles with the LR, I would stick with my MS.
We had a couple interesting range outings where he was still struggling with LR set-up,
while I was plunking away, half way through my daily data quota.
Mine was the group's first MS, the guinea pig so to speak.

I added a fix to that aiming issue. Now I only miss a shot if I forget to arm the rig.

UjvqMJP.jpg

YHE1j8n.jpg

Greg

Originally Posted By: DAAWasn't even a choice, for me.

Labradar has a speed limit of 3900 fps. Almost everything I shoot is faster than that.
- DAA
thumbup.gif
I like your style.

Originally Posted By: DAAWasn't even a choice, for me.

Else I'd have probably got one. Magnetospeed instead though. It's okay. But sometimes I wish I'd have kept my old Chrony around too.

- DAA

I don’t know how you keep using that thing with poi shifts when you take it off. Speed and poi is the two biggest things I check when ladder testing a powder and bullet combo.

I have 3 problems with the Magnetospeed and they're not all design or function problems.
1. An 18" AR barrel with muzzle device coupled with a 15" hanguard. I had to take the handguard off to have room for the bayonet. I know that this was all on me.
2. Can't strap it to my suppressor (I have the sporter and am not sure on the V3). Also on me.
3. The XFR thingy that is supposed to link with your phone doesn't work for me. I'm not very patient, therefore don't dig too deep into tech problems but even a $90 Caldwell unit would plug into my phone and sync with their app so that all data was saved to the app.

A friend has the Labradar and I think he's pretty happy with it. As far as I know the only thing it hasn't picked up reliably is my brother's 20 Practical loads.

Originally Posted By: Uncle BooAnyone know if the labradar will effectively work with a shotgun?

Only if you are shooting slugs...
thumbup1.gif

Greg

i got my v3 shortly after they came out.

i'd love to test out a LR but thats a lot of bells and whistles i realistically dont need.

for the money, my v3 has served me amazingly and with the way i shoot i dont really see a noticeable difference in group size with or without the bayo in place.

my light profile barrels show a small POI shift, but dont care as i zero with the bayo off, not on. i just use it to collect data to build a load with and then its back in the case.

Originally Posted By: Plant.One
i'd love to test out a LR but thats a lot of bells and whistles i realistically dont need.

for the money, my v3 has served me amazingly and with the way i shoot i dont really see a noticeable difference in group size with or without the bayo in place.

my light profile barrels show a small POI shift, but dont care as i zero with the bayo off, not on. i just use it to collect data to build a load with and then its back in the case.

That's pretty much my story with the V1. The LR has bells and
whistles which I would never use. The only advantage for me
would be testing real world B.C.'s. It's something that is
done once in a blue moon and I set up a ProChrony at the
target. Just from reading, one would guess that MagnetoSpeed is
easier to set up than even the LR, and it will record speeds
above 3900fps as well. I have rifles which will top that
speed. Think I will stay with the MS over the LR for several
reasons, including cost.

P.S. Hey Ryan! (private joke)
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI added a fix to that aiming issue. Now I only miss a shot if I forget to arm the rig.

UjvqMJP.jpg

YHE1j8n.jpg

Greg
Are you selling the mount?

Back