Wilson Combat 22 Nosler barrel

crazyyote

As the title says.. does anyone here have any first hand knowledge on the 20 inch fluted barrel? At $304.00 it seems to be a good price point if they're any darn good. I know they have good reviews on their AR15 stuff so I'm guessing these should do well also. Thoughts please, if I build one in this caliber it's on my list. Everyone have a nice Holiday. Thanks

Well not that my opinion is worth anything but I'd rather go with the 22 in to get some speed since the 22 Nosler imo is supposed to be a speed cartridge. The other thing that drives me nuts is most are twisted 8 twist which is better suited to the heavier bullets which in my opinion is not what this cartridge is based around. If you intend to shoot heavy bullets I guess the 8 will work for you but I prefer the 50 and 55 grain pills. My white oak 22" 12 twist does well with 50 bts at 3600 fps. It also shoots 55s well at 3500.

Last edited:
I love my Dtech 22 Nosler. I looked at the Wilson barrels and had intention to buy one but for me a 12twist was a no brainer(light bullets fast for thermals). Not a big fan of 8 twist barrels for cartridges designed to be pushed fast. Although I built a 8 twist 22" nosler for my hunting partner with a BSF barrel that shoots 55gr BT great.

Thanks for your replys. For those of you using the Nosler is it hard on fur? I have a source that takes my pelts and would prefer minimal damage. Is it much worse than a fast .223 round? Im not interested in anything over 20 inches . I would think the terminal ballistics would be similar as the barrel gets shorter. Would use factory loads to start with. Thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say its hard on fur. Like most rounds bad shot placement can lead to fur damage and follow up shots. Ive shot 50 and 55 ballistic tips with good results. Yotehunter243 has several kills with the dogtown stuff. Im sure he will chime in.

Last edited:
We sold over 100 furs last year with probably half killed with 22 nosler and oy had issues on running shots or a follow up if needed with hitting them around the edges. I wouldnt hesitate one bit with a 20". Noslers custom varmint ammo has the ballistics on the back of the box and it's based on an 18" barrel. If I rememeber right its showing the high 3300s. My dog town ammo I've been shooting until I have time to reload has been great. I've had 3 or 4 that needed a follow up but out of 58 since January (when I got the barrel). Those were running shots and just hitting them anywhere I could. I shot a big male the other night head on and when I picked him up for a picture it sounded like his insides were liquified and ran out of the bullet hole. So far the Nosler is my favorite cartridge I've used in 19 years.

I picked up one of the Stoner uppers from midway to finish out the last month of our night season, I have been shooting the Dogtown ammo with great results. 6 shot average was 3184 FPS, groups under .5”. Currently in the ordering stage of building a new rifle starting with a 20” BSF barrel, anxious to see how it performs.

Thanks for the information. I took advantage of the Aero Precision sales and have the upper and the bolt carrier group. Waiting on a barrel sale from WOA or a irresistible offer from Mike at D-tech. Hint, hint!! I was worried about fur damage with the Nosler, was also thinking of doing a 17/223 instead. Even a 17 Remington since I have the dies. A side note, I have a 1974 Hodgdon manual #22 that has old 17 caliber rounds in it. It shows the 17/223 up to 150fps faster than the 17 Remington with most powders. The opposite of what others talk about. So.. I could build one of those instead. Ah.. choices. Thanks guys.

Baffles me why noone offers it in a 10 twist. 8 twist will blow up thin jacketed bullets like the 55 blitz not to be confused with the blitzking. Short barrels may benefit from just a bit tighter twist but imo 8 is too fast.

Last edited:
Back