30’s in the .17 MACH IV

Leadbelly

I recently put a .17 Mach IV together on a Stevens 200. It’s shooting 25’s lights out but with Hornady and a few custom makers dropping the 25’s I was kinda thinking about ordering some 30’s and giving them a try. My biggest concern is getting enough velocity to take coyotes with. Has anyone here had experience with this combination?

I have had a couple 17 Mach IV's and a 17 FB. I only shot the 25 Berger match or the 25 Horn HP out of them. They worked great. I had a 17-204 built just to use the 30's, and it works great. I think I would stay with the 25's in your case. Be persistent, you'll find some 25's, they are out there, but the longer you wait the harder it will be to get them. IMO, stock up now.

if 25's are shooting lights out, no reason to change. A guy can still find the Hornady's, so stock up.
Like Coyotejunki, I built a 17-204 that I use the 30's in, and IMO it's a perfect match. It's harder to find good 30 grain bullets then it is to find 25's.

I’m down to 1500 Hornadys and 200 nagels. I’ve found a couple of custom makers that stock match hp 25’s so I’m going to get a few and test them out.

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyI’m down to 1500 Hornady’s

at 100 coyotes per year that will carry you through 15 years.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: LeadbellyI’m down to 1500 Hornady’s

at 100 coyotes per year that will carry you through 15 years.
lol.gif

But what if you are shooting 2k possum a year ?
tongue.gif

I shot the Berger 30's out of my 17fb only shot one coyote with it was pretty much one hole in and drt, but I have shot a couple dozen groundhogs with pretty much the same results,
I also had a 17-204 built for the 30's it's a much better match.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiHow many rds do you think that barrel will last? I think 17 Rems will go 1000-1500 rounds, perhaps more if your lucky.

I’ve got my own reamer so rechambering or getting a new barrel isn’t a big issue.

Quote:Where can a guy get 30's these days? good question.
Last time I talked to Mr. Nagel he was completely out and having issues but hoping to be back into production by June or July.. The Golds were once again being made by the guy in Tx., but last I heard he was too busy to make bullets and wasn't making any more.
There are still Reeds bullets, he makes a 32 gr. but I've not heard many/any reports on how they perform.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeadbellyI’ve used black hole bullets in the past and they preformed very well

Was that their 17 cal bullets?

Back