Anybody shooting a rossi 223 single shot rifle

varmit_master

My friend is shooting one. He is using factory ammo win varmint value pack 45 gr jhp. The barrel is a 1@12 twist. He wants me to load him a bigger bullet. Need some help ty vm.

When I had 2 for the boys I was getting minute of pie plate with 55gr NBT and that was the best load that I could find for them. If your buddy is looking for accuracy then he is barking up the wrong tree using the rossi. I can't remember who said it on here but the way to get one to shoot good groups or get 1/2moa is to hold the barrel up to the target and shoot. Both of the ones that I had did not stick around very long and were sent packing.

I just copied and paisted this from another members signature, I laugh every time I read it.

"It's a rossi, barrel length will have little to do with how innaccurate it is. From my experience a rossi will shoot submoa as long as you press the muzzle against the target." -NdIndy

I have no experience with Rossi. I held a little .38 revolver of theirs once, I was only considering it as a gift for a friend. You get what you pay for is a darn good rule of thumb though.

The rifle I seen him shoot it and I shot it off a rest with the 45 gr jhp it will shoot a 1 inch group. I didn't think it would shoot that good but it did. He want to use it for coyotes . If I can get a 50 to 55 gr nolser bt or v max to shoot a 1 inch group I would so happy. He asked if I would try if he bought up the bullets and powder. If I could load up 2 boxes of it I could have the extra. I can only try. Ty.

The rifle I seen him shoot it and I shot it off a rest with the 45 gr jhp it will shoot a 1 inch group. I didn't think it would shoot that good but it did. He want to use it for coyotes . If I can get a 50 to 55 gr nolser bt or v max to shoot a 1 inch group I would so happy. He asked if I would try if he bought up the bullets and powder. If I could load up 2 boxes of it I could have the extra. I can only try. Ty.

These rifles (like NEF) are not chambered to be conductive to good accuracy. There chambers are huge & stretch brass beyond elasticity. In fact you may find some factory ammo that will not fire due to the cartridge headspace being minimal & rifle being max. When struck by the firing pin, it simply pushes the cartridge to far into the chamber to ignite the primer. But with a good barrel, solid lock up & the right ammo they can shoot very well. My 223 Rossi will easily put the bullets 1 MOA at 100 yrds.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogBoy you dug this one up from the ashs.

You shunta said nuffin, Bill. I thot it was a new post till you did.
smile.gif

Might be an old thread but I've had decent luck with my heavy barrel Rossi. It likes the 55gr V-max superformance. I've had good luck with the 55gr hollow point match.

kTPDXH8.jpg

This is the 55gr superformance.

Yea I did! Found it in a search..
Heres the twist that lead me to bring this old thread up. I reload 22 WMR with centerfire bullets, so to use up the wmr bullets i pulled (offset costs) I been loading them in this rossi 223. I know thats messed up! seems backward! But the Federal 40gr FMJ (actually weigh 38.5) are pritty accurate in the rossi. No real world episodes yet though! Im not a hot weather hunter! Would rather be kicked back on the fishing bank with a cold Bud.

Back