22-250AI vs 22 Creed

pyscodog

What will a 22 CM do that a fast twist 22-250AI won't? Reason I ask, I have a 22-250AI but its a slow twist barrel. Shoots the light stuff really good but a fast twist 250AI would be cool. I have dies and tons of brass for the 22-250AI so I wouldn't have to buy everything over again. Pro's and Con's please. (And a couple grains of powder is not a deal breaker.)

Since you have dies and brass for the 22-250AI I think I would go with a 1-8" or 1-9" twist in a 22-250AI.

I have a 22-250 with a 1-8" twist for shooting the longer lead free bullets and it does a great job on coyotes.

A good friend of mine has a 22-250AI with a 1-8" twist and he dropped a antelope in it's tracks with a Barnes 62 gr Tipped TSX bullet.

I hear the Creed has more volume, but looking at the two It looks to me as though the 22-250AI has more.

I have a really nice 22-250 AI with a 1-12 Twist, it is very accurate, but I never use it. Still using mostly the 17's and my 6's. Love my 6mmBR Kimber Montana.

My 22-250AI see's a lot of shelf time. Hardly ever shoot it anymore. Its super accurate but it still sets. LOL, don't know why I'm even considering another.

I have several bolt action rifles chambered in 22-250 with 8", 9", 12", and 14 " twist barrels, and I find myself enjoying the 14" twist rifles with lighter bullets (55 grain and under) more than the others.

If I need more umph, I go with a 22-6MM or I simply move up to 6MM cartridges. But I will admit, in terms of rifles alone, my favorite is the 9" twist 22-250 rifle. I shoot 55 rain bullets in it and it works great for what I do as do the slower twist rifles also.

I seldom shoot the 8" rifle because it does nothing for me as a way to shoot heavier bullets in a 22-250. Significantly heavier bullets often equate to slower velocities, which isn't why I shoot a 22-250.

Good point. I have pretty much felt that way myself. Heavier bullets...bigger caliber. Guess I'm pretty easy to talk out of a fast twist 22-250.

They are pretty much ballistic twins, so if you were starting out and didn't have either, for me, it would be an easy choice and I'd go with the 22CM all day long. Mostly, because you can buy good 22CM brass that is ready to go with no fireforming and why not skip that step if you can.

But, if I already had a 22-250AI that I reloaded for, unless I just wanted something different, I'd likely rebarrel it right back to another 22-250AI.

Also, I think the larger hot rod 22 cals like the 22-243 Improved, 22-6mm, and 22-284 are better suited for shooting the bullets in the 75gr and heavier range, than is either the 22-250AI or 22CM

For a good all around varmint/yote gun, I think it's hard to beat a straight 22-250 shooting mid weight bullets.

Put my down as another that just steps up to the 6mm for the heavier bullets. I do understand the desire for something different though. I already have plenty of ‘mil-surps’ of various chamberings I reload for.

I went with the 22 Creedmoor for the sake of having something different. Easy to form from 22-250, 6mm Creedmoor or the 6.5 CM. I went with 1:8 barrel and couldn't be happier. A 10 shot average over the Magneto gives me 3511 fps shooting 80 gr. Nosler CC's.

NEWMEXKID AND HOW LONG WILL THE BARREL LAST AT THOSE SPEEDS BEFORE IT BURNS OUT? Sorry I hit cap lock by accident.

Winny fan is dead nuts right on.

I can tell you that if you shoot in high winds, you choose to shoot a fast twist in a hot rod in 22 or 6 you are into short barrel life equivalent to and having a high maintenance girl friend in keeping the carbon out of your barrel.

A 12 T 6 Rem AI with zero freebore shooting 70g at 4000-4100 is easy to deal with using AA2700 or Win 760. Now, you switch out to a 22-243 Ai shooting 75g using R#22 or 23, you are into a cleaning situation of 30 round intervals with religious regularity.

Ranges you shoot at are of particular importance along with your ability to have the time to use a range finder.

Good Texicans are going 22 Creed, fast twist and 22-243 AI, must be something in the water down there.

Last edited:
Nothing says you have to shoot heavy bullets out of a fast twist 22-250 or 22-250AI. I carry two 22-250's on a prairie dog hunt, one's a 9 twist and the other's an 8, and they both are shooting 55 gr ballistic tips into tiny holes. I have the option to shoot heavier if I want but you can't shoot a heavy out of a slow twist. I can't see any reason to go with the slow twist.

My reason for sticking with a standard 22-250 boiled down to costs. I have 500 cases for each rifle and didn't want to fireform, and something exotic like a 22 Creed would cost a fortune to buy 500 pieces, standard 22-250 stuff is available and cheap. Quantity has a quality all it's own and I'd much rather have 500 rounds of 22-250 than 50 rounds of 22 Mystical because I couldn't afford the brass. I have a 6BR for when the ranges get long, a 6mm shooting heavy bullets will reach out there better than any 22.

6.5 creed on left(fired in AR), 22/250 AI on the right

IMGP0044.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Again, looking at the picture above, I still don't see how they claim that the 22 Creed has more case volume than the 22-250AI

Originally Posted By: GaryCNothing says you have to shoot heavy bullets out of a fast twist 22-250 or 22-250AI. I carry two 22-250's on a prairie dog hunt, one's a 9 twist and the other's an 8, and they both are shooting 55 gr ballistic tips into tiny holes. I have the option to shoot heavier if I want but you can't shoot a heavy out of a slow twist. I can't see any reason to go with the slow twist.

My reason for sticking with a standard 22-250 boiled down to costs. I have 500 cases for each rifle and didn't want to fireform, and something exotic like a 22 Creed would cost a fortune to buy 500 pieces, standard 22-250 stuff is available and cheap. Quantity has a quality all it's own and I'd much rather have 500 rounds of 22-250 than 50 rounds of 22 Mystical because I couldn't afford the brass. I have a 6BR for when the ranges get long, a 6mm shooting heavy bullets will reach out there better than any 22.

I didn't know that.............
laugh.gif

They look like identical twins to me. I wonder if you could just neck down the creedmoor and have a 22-250 AI?

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: GaryCNothing says you have to shoot heavy bullets out of a fast twist 22-250 or 22-250AI. I carry two 22-250's on a prairie dog hunt, one's a 9 twist and the other's an 8, and they both are shooting 55 gr ballistic tips into tiny holes. I have the option to shoot heavier if I want but you can't shoot a heavy out of a slow twist. I can't see any reason to go with the slow twist.

I didn't know that.............
laugh.gif

you come here to get all learned up on stuff. see, its working well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiAgain, looking at the picture above, I still don't see how they claim that the 22 Creed has more case volume than the 22-250AI

Junkie, I don't know either.

A guy could push the limits of small primer brass in either.

There are a lot of short and long barrels in each caliber. If you start comparing a long barrel in one, to a short barrel in another, stats could get confusing.

Back