Pular Trail XQ38 / Flir PTS536 Comparison

Kirsch

This is a video comparing a similar scenario showing the video captured from a Pulsar Trail XQ38 and a Flir PTS536.

I talk a lot about Field Of View and Base Mag. I think it will be evident in the following video. I have some rabbits that are very rough on our garden and landscaping, so each year in the spring, I thin the population. I realize it isn't the same day or same humidity. However, the video was taken in the same area and during a similar time of year. I have always said, I felt the base image is a little better on the Trail XQ series, but the detail of the animal is typically better on the Flir. This video illustrates this. Of course, the glaring difference is 2.1x base mag on the Pulsar compared to 4x on the Flir. Also, I would say, the Pulsar shots were 30-40 yards and the Flir shots were 20-30 yards.

A better comparison would be the Trail XQ50 vs the Flir PTS536, but I haven't owned the XQ50. I was reviewing footage from 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 and saw these, and found it interesting.

Thanks for your as usual stellar efforts. I have an xq38 on order, and after watching your video I should be in good shape.

Originally Posted By: JB-WINice comparison. I like the XQ38 vids better than the 536. Most people would probably agree. It really depends on how much field of view and magnification a person wants. However, once you get the animal in the smaller field of view of the Flir, the confidence of such a much bigger target can result in more confident and precise shots. The PIP of the Pulsar is nice, and yes, you can always zoom the Pulsar but the picture will be substantially degraded.

Pulsar Trail XQ38 Advantages:
Better Overall Background Image
PIP
Higher Recoil Tolerance
Internal Battery
Video and Audio recording (vs Video only for Flir)
StreamVision
Included Remote Control
Less Finicky Focus
Very Good Customer Service

Flir PTS536 Advantages:
ID at much longer distances
Better animal detail
Color Palettes
Color Backgrounds
Adjustable RAV (Recoil Activated Video) Tolerance Recoil Setting
Adjustable Video Length for RAV (can adjust before and after shot time)
Better Base
Much Faster NUC
Longer Sensor Warranty (10 years)

The Thermion XMs will be very similar to the Flir as they both will have the 320-240 12 micron core and similar FOV and base mag so then it comes down to form factor and some of the other features. The PTS536 definitely is not a close range, heavy cover scope. It is designed for open field hunting with average shots of 100+ yards as the norm.

I appreciate your comparisons/advantages between these two scopes. I'm looking to add another and these are the ones I have been looking at. The one hang up I have with the 536 is the CR123 batteries.

I am not fond of using any disposable type of battery in thermals. I tried to run a borrowed thermal during a late winter tournament in ND, and I was swapping batteries almost every stand. It confirmed my distain for using batteries. I run a rechargeable pack on my Flir and I could most likely hunt 2 full nights at sub-zero temps and still have charge. If you want more details on either scope, send me a PM and we can dig even further into the scopes and maybe even chat on the phone.

Back