Foaming bore cleaners a No No in ARs?

Dultimatpredator

I would assume this is a no no because the foam would get into and clog the gas ports? I also own a 44 carbine and figured the same because it’s a semi auto with a gas port as well.

I don't think it matters what you use as long as it's not something that will damage the bore if left in an extended period of time. When you clean it gets into the gas port and tube and then after cleaning it seeps out and can etch the bore.

Last edited:
If you are worried, just blow some air through the gas tube from the chamber end. I am pretty sure the 40,000 to 50,000 psi created when firing it will do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTIf you are worried, just blow some air through the gas tube from the chamber end. I am pretty sure the 40,000 to 50,000 psi created when firing it will do the same thing.

I just squirt brake cleaner down the gas tube when I am done cleaning since I don't own a compressor. That hot gas and pressure keep things pretty dang clear.

Greg

Yeah brake cleaner then I keep a can of compressed air handy on the bench at all times. That little straw fits in the chamber end of the gas tube perfectly and blows the gunk out. Also works great for lots of other things, like blowing stray kernels of powder out of the progressive.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorAll I know is that foaming bore cleaner dries like sticky gunk if not cleaned off. I had a 700 bolt glued shut because I didn't wipe it out.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI just squirt brake cleaner down the gas tube when I am done cleaning. That hot gas and pressure keep things pretty dang clear.

+1

Regards,
hm

I really wanted to use it on my Ruger 44 carbine. Think I’ll stay away from it as I don’t want to gum up the gas port. I’ll just soak the bore in shooters Choice and let it sit for a while.

Last edited:
Would like to know which foaming bore cleaner did this? Also how did that cleaner get in your action and glue the bolt closed? Thanks

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorAll I know is that foaming bore cleaner dries like sticky gunk if not cleaned off. I had a 700 bolt glued shut because I didn't wipe it out.

I always take the bolt out of the rifle when I squirt the foaming bore cleaner in the barrel. Then after letting it soak overnight, I wet patch it before putting the bolt back in.

Originally Posted By: DennyrWould like to know which foaming bore cleaner did this? Also how did that cleaner get in your action and glue the bolt closed? Thanks

Have you ever used expanding foam cleaners? Have you ever used great stuff? Same theory. It just keeps expanding, expanding, and expanding.

I’m waiting for the cleaning pros on this forum tell me they never have any get in their actions...their full of BS.

I used Gunslick. It works excellent for removing copper but will glue everything together eventually turning into a tree sap like substance if you don’t get it all of it out. It’s happened on several firearms of mine. If you don’t believe me try it.lol ...I dare you.lol...just soak it and and set it aside and check it right before hunting season.

It expands like all foam dose and will get into your action no matter how careful you are. I now just make sure to spray gun scrubber in the action and everywhere else That the foam got on when done and then oil it. No issues since I started using gun scrubber to clean out the excess foam. Gunslick posts on their website not to use foaming bore cleaners in Automatics with gas ports as it will plug up the gas port holes so I won’t be using it in my ARs, Ruger carbine, or any other of my ported rifles. More power to you if you want to. With my luck I’ll clog mine.

I used shooters choice on a patch for my 44 carbine this morning. Soaked twice, brushed twice. Cleaned with a dry patch, then a wet patch of rubbing alcohol, then followed up with hoppers number 9...and now I won’t have to worry about my port being clogged from gummy foam. I’ll still you foam for my bolts, single shots, levers, and pumps since I’m lazy like most here and don’t want to run 50 patches through a gun to clean it. I cleaned a 303 British the other day. Three days of bronze brushing and foaming every couple hours till it came clean. I would have worn my arm off old school scrubbing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator
I’m waiting for the internet pros to tell me they never have any get in their actions...their full of BS.

Gunslick

It expands like all foam dose and will get into your action no matter how careful you are.

To keep foam out of action, inject foam through a bore guide:

46198430702_78340f05fb_z.jpg

Gunslick nozzle just happens to fit my bore guide perfectly:

46198450172_03e3172d3c_z.jpg

Foam exits muzzle over trash can, not in action:

46198439912_66ece4545d_z.jpg

Foam works good on copper but it won't cut carbon!

Regards,
hm

Gonna have to buy a guide one if these days but it won’t keep the foam out of the ports...and Gunslick knows this and that’s why they don’t recommend using it on ARs.

I believe when I bought Gunslick when first came out there were such thinks as bore guides yet. Woulda been nice to put the cart before the horse.

Last edited:
I don't seem to have issues in my AR's at all with GS but then I do clean the gas tubes out with brake cleaner as one of my last cleaning steps. I also don't leave it in the bore more than a couple of hours.

I've been told by Redding I can't use bushing dies on AR's too but like a salmon I keep swimming against the current..lol

Greg

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorGonna have to buy a guide one if these days but it won’t keep the foam out of the ports...and Gunslick knows this and that’s why they don’t recommend using it on ARs.

I believe when I bought Gunslick when first came out there were such thinks as bore guides yet. Woulda been nice to put the cart before the horse.

Bore guides been around a long time. Main purpose is to keep your cleaning rod from rubbing the bore and wearing it out prematurely. Really good idea to use the bore guide even if you don't use foam. Here's one brand: DEWEY BORE GUIDES

I have used the foam in AR's and M1 Garand w/no problems but have switched to other products after acquiring a bore scope.

When foam used, first be sure the gas port is above the bore (the Garand must be upside down because gas port on bottom of barrel). This helps keep foam out of gas system. With the Garand, I removed gas plug so that I can see if any foam got into cylinder and have yet to have any foam pass through the port. The AR port is on top of barrel and you can't see if foam enters tube, but I rather doubt that it does....any rate, one shot of Carb or brake cleaner will push it out into the bore. If you want to give it a blast of compressed air for good measure, have at it; then I like to put a coat of oil in my bore in spite of the fact that the foam mfgrs. say the foam is a preservative...just old school, I guess.

I really think the warning of "foam" getting into the gas cylinder is a CYA move. I suspect that the foam will take the path of least resistance as it expands and that is out the muzzle of the rifle (.20" or greater dia.) as opposed to passing through a hole no bigger than .02"-.05". I think the real danger is if/when the gas port is below the bore, and the foam returns to the liquid state, as it does with time, it simply runs down into gas system, but that is JMHO.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI don't seem to have issues in my AR's at all with GS but then I do clean the gas tubes out with brake cleaner as one of my last cleaning steps. I also don't leave it in the bore more than a couple of ours.

I've been told by Redding I can't use bushing dies on AR's too but like a salmon I keep swimming against the current..lol

Greg

Sounds like some more CYA
grin.gif
; hard to teach an old dog new tricks, ain't it Greg?
lol.gif

Regards,
Clarence

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorGonna have to buy a guide one if these days but it won’t keep the foam out of the ports...and Gunslick knows this and that’s why they don’t recommend using it on ARs.

Bore guides been around a long time. Main purpose is to keep your cleaning rod from rubbing the bore and wearing it out prematurely. Really good idea to use the bore guide even if you don't use foam. Here's one brand: DEWEY BORE GUIDES

I have used the foam in AR's and M1 Garand w/no problems but have switched to other products after acquiring a bore scope.

When foam used, first be sure the gas port is above the bore (the Garand must be upside down because gas port on bottom of barrel). This helps keep foam out of gas system. With the Garand, I removed gas plug so that I can see if any foam got into cylinder and have yet to have any foam pass through the port. The AR port is on top of barrel and you can't see if foam enters tube, but I rather doubt that it does....any rate, one shot of Carb or brake cleaner will push it out into the bore. If you want to give it a blast of compressed air for good measure, have at it; then I like to put a coat of oil in my bore in spite of the fact that the foam mfgrs. say the foam is a preservative...just old school, I guess.

I really think the warning of "foam" getting into the gas cylinder is a CYA move. I suspect that the foam will take the path of least resistance as it expands and that is out the muzzle of the rifle (.20" or greater dia.) as opposed to passing through a hole no bigger than .02"-.05". I think the real danger is if/when the gas port is below the bore, and the foam returns to the liquid state, as it does with time, it simply runs down into gas system, but that is JMHO.

Regards,
hm

dultimate should read that twice. ^^^^^

never had any trouble with foam gluing things together. then again, i don't spray it in and set it in a corner until hunting season rolls around next fall.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI used Gunslick. It works excellent for removing copper but will glue everything together eventually turning into a tree sap like substance if you don’t get it all of it out. It’s happened on several firearms of mine. If you don’t believe me try it.lol ...I dare you.lol...just soak it and and set it aside and check it right before hunting season.
who in the world would do that? gotta use your brain a little bit with some of this stuff.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

never had any trouble with foam gluing things together. then again, i don't spray it in and set it in a corner until hunting season rolls around next fall.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI used Gunslick. It works excellent for removing copper but will glue everything together eventually turning into a tree sap like substance if you don’t get it all of it out. It’s happened on several firearms of mine. If you don’t believe me try it.lol ...I dare you.lol...just soak it and and set it aside and check it right before hunting season.

who in the world would do that? gotta use your brain a little bit with some of this stuff.

Aha, I missed that last sentence, Slick.
47955531547_c8d6a6b73e_o.gif

Regards,
hm

Back