Beginning to get into reloading thoughts?

BangFlop

I am thinking of starting with purchasing a RCBS Rock Chucker and Chargemaster Lite.

I will then add debur tool, calipers, sizing lube, Lee trimmer, powder, dies, bullets and primers.

I have considered the RCBS Supreme Kit, but was thinking I would really prefer the Chargemaster Lite and spend the additional $155-$200 difference from the Rock Chucker on the Chargemaster Lite?

Thoughts?

Steve

Hey Steve

I have been reloading since 1973. I started off with a $10 Lee Loader. When money got better I got me a Rock Chucker (which I still use today) and all the other things and we need or at least feel we need as the hobby (sickness) manifest itself. If you got the coin, then I suggest the more complete kit as you will be needing it anyway.

OR...you can check out the classifieds and Craigslist for estate sales or just someone getting out of the hobby. You can save a LOT money by buying good used stuff. A lot of what I have I picked up at gun shows. Most I bought new, but if I had been patient I could have bought it used in perfect condition for way less. Just a thought.

The best start is gonna be what ever you can afford. They all do basically the same thing. Only thing is if you want to compare, compare single stage to single stage and progressive to progressive. Either will make very good ammo with anyone's equipment. Progressive is faster; that can be good or bad.I never recommend progressive press's. Other than for shotgun, I've only had one. Very good Dillon Sq Deal and I simply couldn't get along with it!

I definitely do not need or want a progressive.
The kits have a lot of items, however, I feel I would prefer the Chargemaster Lite over a beam powder dump and trickler as all those items are within reasonable cost of just getting the Chargemaster Lite.

I think I want to use imperial sizing wax over the pad that comes with the kit.

As for trimming (which the kit does not include), I don’t shoot a ton and currently will load for 3-7mm-08’s, 1-308 Win and a 223, which I don’t believe I will run into much case stretch. What trimming I need to do can probably be done with a $25 Lee hand trimmer.

Of course I will need a couple manuals.

Way I see it I can get the Rock Chucker and Chargemaster Lite for $415 right now. The Supreme Kit is $380 plus $25 trickler. Only a $10 difference.

Steve

Bang Flop,

The pads are good to go. I started with those and the Forster graphite neck lube kit. Works great.

Reddings imperial case lube and dry neck lube works fine too. As do many more.

For me though these days it is Hornady One Shot.

The T7 press will save you tons of time. There are 7 slots. You can set up 3 FL dies and 3 bullet seating dies all in the same turret. Then you will have 1 spare hole left to do as you wish. Bullet puller, Lee factory crimp die, dedicated de-capping die or something else.

I have a Chargemaster. They are great.

Get a Forster long drop tube funnel. The one that is blue plastic.

Powder beams work when there is not electricity.

You will have to trim a ton no matter how you shake it. It is one of the major downfalls of reloading for me as i don't like to do it.

I have the trimmer from Sinclair. It seems it is a LE Wilson trimmer on a Sinclair base.

Don't forget to buy the bullet comparator stuff too.

You won't get out of this cheaply. The better your equipment, the better your technique, the smaller the groups.

It is less expensive, and much, much, much, much less time consuming to just buy factory ammo if you are not fanatical.

You can get a lot of second hand reloading equipment for $400 if you shop. Its hard to wear out a press and dies. They last a long time. I don't need new shiny stuff if second hand saves me money and still works.

DON'T buy a hand crank mini lathe type trimmer unless you are serious about benchrest type accuracy. Clearly you're not. Trimming hundreds of pieces of brass on a hand crank device sucks.

If you shoot any type of volume, trim with a Holub Machine and Repair World's Cheapest Trimmer. Or the nicer Little Crow Gunworks World's Fastest Trimmer with caliber specific pilots.

Part of the issue starting out is knowing what your really ‘need’ to get going. If you could swing it the idea of a ‘turret’ type press is good, T7, or similar.

A good reloading book is a great way to ease into it. I see Sierra now has an updated manual out, may get one myself.

If i can make one suggestion on your press choice - make sure it offers or is compatible with one of the quick change bushing systems on the market!

that in itself will be a HUGE timesaver for you when doing caliber changes, as well as switching dies within calibers. Being able to install/remove a die without having to reset it every time you use it is a massive plus. you'll still have to adjust your seating depth with your seating die if you change bullets of course, but your sizing die, etc can be completely left alone.

one other suggestion - to start out with anyway - buy the reloading manual of the bullet manufacturer you plan to shoot the most of. IE - if you're a hornady guy, get Hornady's 10th. Nosler fan - get the nosler book (i think 7th is most recent). then supplement with more books as you need them. This will allow you to get the most relevant data for the projectiles you intend to use.

Originally Posted By: BangFlopI definitely do not need or want a progressive.

right now anyway.

which isnt a bad thing. however you will probably find out since you started reloading, shooting is more affordable (per round fired), and - most likely - you will end up shooting more. much like most stuff in life, we all tend to find out that our "wants and needs" change over time. but worry about that down the road. A single stage is a great place to get started.

Quote:
As for trimming (which the kit does not include), I don’t shoot a ton and currently will load for 3-7mm-08’s, 1-308 Win and a 223, which I don’t believe I will run into much case stretch. What trimming I need to do can probably be done with a $25 Lee hand trimmer.

Steve

any bottle neck cartridge is going to require trimming. how often will depend on several factors... but thats for another thread.

while the various hand trimming systems work - if you've got *ANY* kind of hand/wrist/armm issues related to repetitive use (carpel tunnel, arthritis, etc ) after more than a couple dozen pieces - you're likely gonna notice it.

if you'd like an affordable option for trimming that avoids that, look into the Lee Quick trim system. Its a die/press based trimmer that can either be run by hand crank or by using a small drill with their "power adapter" to complete the process.

one cutter works for all calibers, but each caliber needs its own die for the press. Dies are

Quote:Being able to install/remove a die without having to reset it every time you use it

Hi Plant; help me understand "having to reset die every time". I must be missing something? Agree bushings would be quicker than screwing die in/out ea. time, but w/die lock ring set on die, adjustment is consistent, isn't it?

Regards,
hm

I never thought the time spent screwing a die in or out of a press was that time consuming.Turning the crank on a trimmer does suck but I been doing it for years and it hasn't killed me yet. A good rule of thumb, when reloading....don't get in a hurry. Thats when mistakes happen.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogTurning the crank on a trimmer does suck but I been doing it for years and it hasn't killed me yet.

As someone stated, you will have to trim any bottle neck cases, some more often than others. I had a Forster Case Trimmer set up to neck turn and trim 30-06 when shooting competition, but took crank off, replaced with a hex nut and drove it with an electric screw driver w/socket. Saved time and blisters.

Once turned, I found it easier to trim every reload rather than measure and trim as necessary. It was faster to use Lee Case Trimmer and caliber specific Case gauge using cordless drill to drive and could wipe off case lube while spinning the case after trimming.

No longer compete so just use the Lee trimmers for all loading now.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogA good rule of thumb, when reloading....don't get in a hurry. Thats when mistakes happen.

Very good advice.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:Being able to install/remove a die without having to reset it every time you use it

Hi Plant; help me understand "having to reset die every time". I must be missing something? Agree bushings would be quicker than screwing die in/out ea. time, but w/die lock ring set on die, adjustment is consistent, isn't it?

Regards,
hm

using a lock ring with an adjustment savings set screw probably is just as consistent... however...

not all die sets come with a lockable die ring. the basic lee lock ring just as an o-ring on it and no set screw to maintain adjustment when removed from the press. the rcbs and hornady dies i have came with them.

ive been fortunate enough that all the presses i selected had a bushing system so i truly dont have any personal hands on experience with using the lock ring method of adjustment saving.

i like the convenience of a quick change bushing thats for sure - place in the press,¼-½twist to lock and you're done.

Thank you, sir.

I only have one set of Lee dies and forgot they came without set screws in the lock ring as the first thing I did was either drill and tap the lee ring or replace w/one w/set screw (been so long I don't remember which)
grin.gif
. Figured I must be missing something since others had mentioned adusting dies ea. time.

Regards,
hm

Hornady lock rings (C-clamp style) work very well and only cost $3.33 each in the 6-pack. WELL worth it to use them from day 1 on ALL of your dies.

The set screw style (RCBS) is terrible.

Forster and Hornady lock rings are the best out there.

As for getting into reloading, buy a reloading book and read it. Once you read it, you'll know more of what you want and what you don't. I went with a Forster press and am glad I did. Trimming and deburring will be the most time consuming effort. After using a Wilson trimmer, I broke down and purchased a Giraud trimmer. Well worth the money but expensive.

I use Lee trimmers for most stuff. Cheap and easy. I bought a WCT for .223 , good for bulk stuff and it is fast. Trimmed up a square bucket full of .223 early this spring. I do like the Sierra book, folds flat and they have great bullets. But I must admit that I have a small collection of books from most bullet makers. Makes for good reference material.

Some great suggestions on here from guys who have “refined” how they do things over the years.

Back