Need a predator hunting vest.

marchboom

Does anyone know where I could get a vest for predator hunting with the following features?:

1) 5-6 pockets to carry binos, range finder, call remote, extra ammo, etc.

2) A full size handgun.

3) Ability to be adjustable for summer and winter wear (over a heavy coat).

A check of tactical vests reveals nothing but ammo pockets and a holster. Turkey vests don't have a holster.

Thanks.

I have tried several. My first one I used for lots of seasons was the Solo/Horn Hunter vest. This is nice if you want to only carry binos and rangefinder or extra mag clip. It does have a little room on the harness to add one or maybe 2 small Molle style extra pouches. This vest works quite well for day hunting with binos. Not as great for night hunting as the middle pouch is so custom to fit binos and it can't be removed.

I also have tried several Molle type vests. I just haven't found one that I love. What I do like about the Molle style vests is you can customize it with as many pouches as you want. Still in search of one that I can't live without.

Tom at Night Goggles has tried out tons of different systems and the one he recommends and uses himself is the Haley Strategic D3CRX Chest Rig. He has them for sale at the following site with a video at the bottom showing a live demo of the vest and how he modified the AR mag holders to fit binos. He has it listed on the site here. This will be my next chest rig.

I could not find a vest that suited me. I sort of made my own;
I started with what is called a "batttle belt", inner belt, and a military surplus load bearing harness.
The battle belt is Molle and will accept lots of different sized pouches including a holster.
The outer battle belt was maybe $25.00, the inner belt maybe another $20.00, harness maybe $10-15.00, then whatever pouches and holster that you want.
EBay has lots of choices/prices for all the parts. I've got less than $100.00 in mine.
I can send you a photo of my setup if you want.

Here is my setup. Pouches to hold spare batteries, flashlight, multi-tool, FLIR, magazine, and a holster. I have another pouch not pictured that hooks to the shoulder straps and goes across my chest in front that will hold binos, etc.
l3QQZd2.jpg

kzafOlM.jpg

14lxTfV.jpg

Maybe you would be interested in a NcSTAR Tactical Vest?
It has a 4 pistol mag pouches/3 rifle mag pouches/1 utility pouch also adjustable cross-draw pistol holster. Includes a heavy-duty pistol belt.
Got it for around 50$ if I remember correctly...
I do however use it for shooting, figured it would be something to mention.

I run a similar setup, tried back packs and just carrying the call but just doesn't work for me. I have mine setup so I can carry my shockwave in a pouch on the belt, the shoulder straps pick up the majority of the load, I go all day on the snow machine with this setup.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrHere is my setup. Pouches to hold spare batteries, flashlight, multi-tool, FLIR, magazine, and a holster. I have another pouch not pictured that hooks to the shoulder straps and goes across my chest in front that will hold binos, etc.
l3QQZd2.jpg

kzafOlM.jpg

14lxTfV.jpg

It is neat to see just how many fellow hunters come to the same or similar solutions to common problems. Being a "bigger" guy, I am used to things not fitting or not being able to do what I need them to do and having to modify them.

Here is my "rig" that I have used for many, many years. It has been modified to add or subtract gear that I find useful or obsolete. It is a padded duty belt, with a set of load bearing, padded suspenders with a series of pouches. Some pull double duty, such as my rangefinder fitting in the pouch that my FoxPro Scorpion used to occupy before it finally had to retire.

belt by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I have seen the chest rig that Tom Austin uses, and I can see how flexible that is as well.

I personally use a fishing vest. Plenty of pockets for what I need to carry. If you want to carry a handgun and a a pair of binos I would recommend carrying the binos on a chest harness and the handgun just on your belt just to distribute the weight better. Just get a size larger than you need and you shouldn't have an issue fitting it over your jacket. The battle belt/suspender system is a cool idea though.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI could not find a vest that suited me. I sort of made my own;
I started with what is called a "batttle belt", inner belt, and a military surplus load bearing harness.
The battle belt is Molle and will accept lots of different sized pouches including a holster.
The outer battle belt was maybe $25.00, the inner belt maybe another $20.00, harness maybe $10-15.00, then whatever pouches and holster that you want.
EBay has lots of choices/prices for all the parts. I've got less than $100.00 in mine.
I can send you a photo of my setup if you want.

1trkyhntr, you said you found the parts on EBay, what did you search for, key words? Thanks so much!

Back