Jackrabbits in Nevada

Jerry Yen

my friend and I are looking to do some jackrabbit/coyote hunting in Southern/central Nevada. Can anyone offer us any leads good areas to hunt? I have been told that there is allot of BLM land but we would appreciate any leads on productive areas to hunt varmints.

I can't tell you where to go but I can tell you where not to go. The wife and I spent 4 days in the desert between caliente and pioche a couple weeks back. Didn't do any calling but didn't hardly hear any at night and only saw a couple Jacks while riding the dirt roads the entire time. Kind of depressing.

Sorry to hear about your hunt. I'm sure they're out there...I guess the trick is to find out where. If I have any good leads, I'll be sure to let you know. Happy hunting!

We were just camping and riding around in the side by side enjoying the desert. It was a good time. Just didn't see much in the way of wildlife other than a few wild horses.

I had a few days of great jack rabbit shooting a few years back, in northern Nevada, in the Winnamuca area. Maybe someone from that area will chime.

The last few years have been incredible around here.
However lately we seem to be in a crash - very few rabbits around.
The Smoky Valley is about as central as you can get.
Because these crashes seem to be localized who knows what the next valley has to offer.

Crapshoot a few wild horses would be welcome-around here they are an epidemic.

Couple my go to spots were wayyyyyyyy down this year. I suspect they will be coming back though with all this rain. What you want to look for is the right habitat. The best areas are located between 4,000 to 6,000 feet. They like areas where you see good variety in vegetation. Which means not creasote scrub on the bajadas. They like wide washes and small gullies, especially when it is windy. They are also tied to the ephedra bush (mormon tea). When there is nothing left to eat it is the only green thing out there. Just look, every bush will have a form and poop and be missing the bark in the bottom 12 to 18 inches. Their numbers drop once you get into the junipers. An area that meets these criteria would be the foothills of the spring mountains. Head an hour or two north and there are tons of places.In years when the pop is low they are old and smart. You really need a dog cuz they are getting up way out in front of you or holding tight letting you walk by. In the slim years carry a shotgun as they ain't sitting out for you. When they are thick, a rifle is more fun. I like to work a wide wash or brush area at the base of a big hill. Ideally send the dog down in the wash or your hunting buddy. 99% of the time they will run up onto the hill. Often they will stop when they think they are safe, usually within 300 yards. That is your shot opportunity. After a while you will learn to recognize good areas. However, sometimes you find a low or high elevation spot where they are thick. I'm just telling you what to look for to consistently find them.

I might know a thing or two about rabbits...

Back