Newest Pulsar firmware update

Greyhunter

So pulsar announced this update V4.0.0 for Streamvision. When I'm in Streamvision and I check the firmware version on my XP50 it says I have the latest firmware but it shows it as 3.00.023.F (last checked 05/14/19), not V4.0.0.
When I go to the streamvison app on my phone (android) and I go to "SETTINGS" and scroll down to "ABOUT" it shows "New in version 4.1.0" and when I click on that it says what is new about V4.1.0.

I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to this side of things so my questions are:
1. Do I have the latest firmware version on my scope with 3.00.023.F?
2. Is the Steamvision V4.0.0 update only for the phone app and not a change to the actual scopes firmware?
3. I went to the Google play store and it talks about the new V4.1.0 update but I didn't see an option to actually update the app. Does that mean that my app is already updated?

I use stream vision a lot and I want the option to convert to MP4 and also was hoping that this might cure my occasional video problem where it plays in fast forward. My partner has an Iphone and has a lot of connection problems so we are hoping this update cures that also.

Originally Posted By: Greyhunter
1. Do I have the latest firmware version on my scope with 3.00.023.F?
2. Is the Steamvision V4.0.0 update only for the phone app and not a change to the actual scopes firmware?
3. I went to the Google play store and it talks about the new V4.1.0 update but I didn't see an option to actually update the app. Does that mean that my app is already updated?

I use stream vision a lot and I want the option to convert to MP4 and also was hoping that this might cure my occasional video problem where it plays in fast forward. My partner has an Iphone and has a lot of connection problems so we are hoping this update cures that also.
If StreamVision says the firmware of the scope is the latest, it is the latest. The Firmware update of the scope doesn't match the number of the StreamVision software update which is an app update.

If you don't have StreamVision 4.1 when you go to Google Play, there will be an Update button, on the opening window. So, if it isn't there, you must have 4.1. Then when you are in the StreamVision app, on a Google Device, and it is installed, it does say New on 4.1.0 as you said so everything appears to be correct.

I don't believe the fast forward video issue is a StreamVision issue. It is an issue with the recording on the Pulsar Device itself. There are several theories. One is if a recording isn't saved when the scope is turned off (which is very easy to do). Some say it can happen if there are a lot of video files on the Pulsar. After removing the files from the thermal, many Pulsar users who have the issue, format their memory. If you make sure to save (not pause) the video after each recording, download them as soon as possible to a PC or phone after your hunt, and then reformat your memory each time, many users reported their problems went away. Pain yes, but hopefully manageable.

As far as iPhone connection, it has been an issue with Pulsar devices since the release of StreamVision. I actually purchased an Android tablet because I grew tired of it. The connection is better on an iPhone if you turn off Cellular Data. Some have said Airplane mode helps as well, but although better, it has always been flaky. I do see in the Information on StreamVision, it does talk about connection stability so hopefully it will be better for iPhones.

As far as converting videos, when you go into the Files option on the Main StreamVison window, and you have a video file downloaded to the device, select the icon to the right of the Show Video option on an Android device (on an iPhone just select the Share icon). It looks like an Acute Angle with 3 points. It will ask you if you wish to Convert and Share. When you select to Convert and Share, it converts the file and you will see the name change to a .mp4 extension on Android and .mov extension on an iPhone/Ipad. Next, select the More Information icon beside the Conversion icon and you can share the video from there.

Originally Posted By: Kirsch
I don't believe the fast forward video issue is a StreamVision issue. It is an issue with the recording on the Pulsar Device itself. There are several theories. One is if a recording isn't saved when the scope is turned off (which is very easy to do). Some say it can happen if there are a lot of video files on the Pulsar. After removing the files from the thermal, many Pulsar users who have the issue, format their memory. If you make sure to save (not pause) the video after each recording, download them as soon as possible to a PC or phone after your hunt, and then reformat your memory each time, many users reported their problems went away. Pain yes, but hopefully manageable.

Of those choices I would lean towards the pausing and not saving of the videos as that is not something I have tried to pay attention too. I have tried the other tricks and it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the video fast forwards. I'd estimate it happens on about 20% of videos, maybe a tad more.
As for connection issues I've had very few issues with my android and neither does a partner with an android. Our other partner with an Iphone frequently does so hopefully this will help him.
Sounds like I have the latest versions of everything
thumbup.gif
Good info as always Korey, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Greyhunter Of those choices I would lean towards the pausing and not saving of the videos as that is not something I have tried to pay attention too. I have tried the other tricks and it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the video fast forwards. I'd estimate it happens on about 20% of videos, maybe a tad more. This is the one I believe is the main cause as well. I have never had it happen personally but I learned very early on, the video has be saved or it won't record. It doesn't seem natural to exit the recording to save it, but that is the way it works. It would be nice if Pulsar on a future firmware update would save any active video files before the scope powers down.

Yes, that would be nice. Recording is one of the major features they tout so it seems like a simple thing for them to get working properly.
Short press of the record button to pause and long press to stop it? Like I said, I haven't paid much attention to that part. It is disappointing to make a great shot, or want to investigate a miss, and then find out the video didn't work.

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterYes, that would be nice. Recording is one of the major features they tout so it seems like a simple thing for them to get working properly.
Short press of the record button to pause and long press to stop it? Like I said, I haven't paid much attention to that part. It is disappointing to make a great shot, or want to investigate a miss, and then find out the video didn't work. Yes, the way you described is the way to stop/save a video.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: GreyhunterYes, that would be nice. Recording is one of the major features they tout so it seems like a simple thing for them to get working properly.
Short press of the record button to pause and long press to stop it? Like I said, I haven't paid much attention to that part. It is disappointing to make a great shot, or want to investigate a miss, and then find out the video didn't work. Yes, the way you described is the way to stop/save a video.

What I have done from Day 1 is after I shoot and want to end the video I press the stop and release when I see the clock stop. I then turn off my unit and turn it back on... I read somewhere before I got my XP50 that was a safe way to not lose videos or to avoid a continuation of the same video... have no idea if that's "the way" but I've not "lost" any videos since owning the XP50.

I have had on two occasions the "Auto Start" not work, but I'm shooting suppressed and don't know if that's a contributing factor.

NOTE: while I have been saying my unit is holding zero, I will admit I've only benched it one time as I've been pretty much hitting/killing everything I've shot at. The hits appear to be where I've aimed.

With that said, I did check it two months ago and made about a 1 1/2" correction... but I've used it A LOT and really not sure if I should have chalked it up to "not holding zero" as it's WAYT better than my first go-round.

I have since made a Zero Log and I'm tracking date, time, temp, and X Y changes. I figured that way I'd have a precise and specific log of what's going on... it may very well turn out I'm not out of the woods as much as I thought.

This will also let me see if having the unit sit a while w/o use adds to the mix... I'm wondering if it sitting long periods of time ( two or three months) matters... summer is here and I won't be doing much hunting... so I plan to check the zero about once a month during the summer.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt NOTE: while I have been saying my unit is holding zero, I will admit I've only benched it one time as I've been pretty much hitting/killing everything I've shot at. The hits appear to be where I've aimed.

With that said, I did check it two months ago and made about a 1 1/2" correction... but I've used it A LOT and really not sure if I should have chalked it up to "not holding zero" as it's WAYT better than my first go-round.

I have since made a Zero Log and I'm tracking date, time, temp, and X Y changes. I figured that way I'd have a precise and specific log of what's going on... it may very well turn out I'm not out of the woods as much as I thought.

This will also let me see if having the unit sit a while w/o use adds to the mix... I'm wondering if it sitting long periods of time ( two or three months) matters... summer is here and I won't be doing much hunting... so I plan to check the zero about once a month during the summer. I think what a lot of people don't realize is temp changes can be temp changes to the scope which may or may not be related to the outside temperatures. Of course if it is extremely cold, the change from a scope of -10 to 70 above is fairly drastic. However, shooting a group right after starting the scope up, and then waiting 15 minutes and shooting another group can yield different results at times as the temp stayed constant outside but the scope temp changed dramatically as the scope warmed up. Ironically, Pulsar put the heat synch on the side of the Trail models and they didn't have it on the Apex series, yet the Trails had a lot more movement issues than the Apex. Whether this was due to an incorrect NUC algorithm or not is the big question. I can say that my 2nd Pulsar held zero better, but when I ran the test of turning he scope on and shooting a group, and then waiting 15 minutes and shooting a group, I was still nervous by the results. The 2nd scope may have been fine but once you get the "yips" with a piece of equipment I had to change brands to get the idea out of my head. I believe their updates have improved the situation and the movements/shifts are not as dramatic as they were. Pulsar says it's fixed, and every dealer I know says it fixed, so it seems to be fixed.

Back