7.62X39 vs .223 for medium sized game?

My winter time caribou/wolf gun is an AR15 223. Federal premium ammo with Barnes bullets. Every caribou I've pointed it at has ended up in the freezer.

IMO Speed is you friend when using all copper bullets. If it were me I would pick the lightest per caliber offering and push it hard at hyper velocity speeds to make sure it opens and hopefully brakes off pedals for additional wound channels.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator....

All I know is if I had to use an all copper bullet on deer it sure wouldn't be in a .224 diameter configuration. ...

I'm from Newfoundland, Canada, and have hunted for 40 years (moose, caribou, black bear, and bunches of small game including coyote over the past decade). I am often surprised at the amount of "overkill" suggestions on hunting websites regarding what caliber for what game. I am in no way arguing, or suggesting that my way is the right way, but I have to agree with the above quote. I would not use an all copper bullet in .223 caliber for deer. Absolutely in no way do I trust its expansion and killing power. There is a BIG BIG difference in killing power between copper and lead bullets of the same caliber. Not only do I think it's a bad idea, I think it's inhumane. Methinks there will be a lot of wounded animals left in the woods to die a slow, painful death once that silly law you're talking about kicks in.

GC

If recoil is the issue with your .308, try loading some 125 or 130 gr (not familiar w/what's available in copper bullets....never able to get them to shoot in anything I have) bullets. You can push them fast and you essentially have a short, low recoil .270.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996If recoil is the issue with your .308, try loading some 125 or 130 gr (not familiar w/what's available in copper bullets....never able to get them to shoot in anything I have) bullets. You can push them fast and you essentially have a short, low recoil .270.

Regards,
hm

Agree 100%

...and they would be at extremely fast, flat, velocities to make sure the all copper bullet opens up and benefit from every bit of energy transfer.

My 300 rum recoils like a 243 with a KDF brake using 125 grain NBTs with full throttle loads at 3950 FPS.

Light loads per caliber recoil ALOT less, shoot flat, hit hard, and dump most their energy in the animal IMO.

Last edited:
Back