NUKE definition ?

Pa. Mick

Hey guys not sure if I’m following the tech talk quite right. Does nuke refer to the shutter, shutter speed, noise ?
Is this an ongoing problem ? What fixes it ?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, experience !

NUC are non-uniformity compensation (NUC) coefficients which are factory-calibrated to maintain high image quality on thermal cameras. The coefficients comprise a NUC table and generally work within a specific subset of the total operating temperature range. The camera works to select the best NUC table based on its temperature. (Copied)

Basically, the thermal camera needs to reset itself for the best image periodically. Some do it manually and others can do it automatically. With the manual type you generally have to close the lens cover to NUC. The automatic or even semi-automatic NUC doesn't require the cover to be closed on the outside and does it with some type of internal shutter. There will be a hesitation as the camera adjusts on the NUC.

Others may have a better explanation.

Nuc stands for

Now
U
Cant

When set on auto
U cant see crap
U cant shoot crap for a second and most likely to happen the moment you're set to pull the trigger on ol Wiley
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Nuc stands for

Now
U
Cant

When set on auto
U cant see crap
U cant shoot crap for a second and most likely to happen the moment you're set to pull the trigger on ol Wiley
thumbup.gif

That’s why I just do a manual NUC ever so often.

The NUCing time can vary greatly based on brand/model, etc. Pulsars have many positives but their NUC process is very long at least on their Trail and Helion series. In comparison, the FLIR PTS NUC is about 1/3 the amount of time. You almost couldn't mess up and shoot at the wrong time with the Flir PTS, it happens so fast.

FYI, if your screen goes black after a NUC, the shutter may be stuck. If you have an option to manually Nuc the device, it often clears it up. I know this happens on Pulsar devices at times, and a quick tap of the Power button, NUCs the device, and the shutter releases.

Back