How long could you last...

Originally Posted By: EMP3Extremely unrealistic, so much so that it conveys no useful knowledge. Those videos are entertainment.

How would you survive this:

The deputy's tactical response was textbook. Most importantly, she remained completely composed when confronted by the most dangerous of bad guys.

A good quality semiauto is more reliable than any revolver. I've had 2 S&W revolvers fail. I've known of countless others. When revolvers fail, they're outta da fight. I've never seen a Sig P220, P226, or P229 fail. Ever. Revolvers have more parts and more moving parts than semis.

A semi has 2 moving parts.

An assailant armed with a knife can close 21' and kill a good guy before he could bring his holstered handgun to battery (able to fire a round).

How a bad guy holds a knife will reveal his proficiency.

Size does matter. A George Foreman punch might kill a bad guy. A punch from a welterweight would probably hurt. The best UFC fighter ain't gonna win against a 250 pound NFL linebacker. Herschel Walker was 48 years old and schooling UFC fighters in pain.

Survivors know how to avoid, and when that's not an option, how to survive.

Buy this book: https://secure.calibrepress.com/shop/books/street-survival-ii-hardcover/ Professionals who've survived actual deadly encounters reveal survival tactics.

BTW, it's called martial arts for a reason. Martial arts movies are choreographed.

In reference to the videos it is apples to oranges, two completely different scenarios for two completely different training scenarios.

A semi only has two moving parts? C'mon...

The line about the UFC fighter and the linebacker above is absolutely hysterical. The first few UFC events some odd 20yrs ago put that kind of BS to the test. A tiny Brazilian man who would, by all accounts, be dangerous, but at a significant disadvantage in the modern UFC, bested many far larger opponents. No weight classes, no holds barred, no gloves. That’s how it started. And a skilled Brazilian jiu jitsu player walked away with the whole thing.

The bit about the semi auto and moving parts is really just sad. Largely indicative this guy has never opened one up, and certainly not used either enough to understand their design nor reliability.

Stand by, I'm waiting to be edified. Once edified it should all become much clearer.
smile.gif

I suppose I just need to last long enough for the wife and kids to get to safety. Anything more than that is gravy. I suffer no illusions of grandeur. I'm just an ordinary average semi-soft middle-aged guy with enough sense to pay attention with the hope of avoiding bad situations and, hopefully, enough civilian-available training to help increase my odds a little. If faced with a determined bad guy in a tight situation, I'm probably gonna lose. But I ain't gonna quit.

Originally Posted By: GC
In reference to the videos it is apples to oranges, two completely different scenarios for two completely different training scenarios.

Dead is dead. How dead occurs is immaterial. Hence, it's a congruent comparison.

As fa as semis having two moving parts, here's another book for you to buy:
https://www.vickersguide.com/1911

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThe line about the UFC fighter and the linebacker above is absolutely hysterical. The first few UFC events some odd 20yrs ago put that kind of BS to the test. A tiny Brazilian man who would, by all accounts, be dangerous, but at a significant disadvantage in the modern UFC, bested many far larger opponents. No weight classes, no holds barred, no gloves. That’s how it started. And a skilled Brazilian jiu jitsu player walked away with the whole thing.

The bit about the semi auto and moving parts is really just sad. Largely indicative this guy has never opened one up, and certainly not used either enough to understand their design nor reliability.

My suggestion is to gain knowledge.

99.9% of choreographed fighting (martial arts) wind up as street brawls when they're out of cages.

As far as semi moving parts, argue with this guy and set him straight:

https://www.vickerstactical.com/about-larry-vickers.html

I'll make it easy for you. Here's his email:

larry@vickerstactical.com

Let us know how it turns out.

BTW, Larry is a patient man. He'll help you out in a very respectful manner.

One more BTW, I have had my Springfield Armory TRP disassembled about a month ago.

We'll disregard the big $$$ taxpayers have spent to scientifically train me. Here's a huge clue that might save your life: never allow a bag guy who intends to reduce you to evidence and your corpse autopsied the following morning get close enough to touch you. Increase that geometrically if he's armed.

One you're locked eyes with a psychopathic murderer who'll reduce you to room temperature in a heartbeat, you'll never forget the look and feeling, neither being warm and fuzzy.

Originally Posted By: EMP3Originally Posted By: GC

Dead is dead. How dead occurs is immaterial. Hence, it's a congruent comparison.

As fa as semis having two moving parts, here's another book for you to buy:
https://www.vickersguide.com/1911

TRAINING SPECIFIC SCENARIOS... Just for fun, I don't learn 1,000 yard rifle shooting by taking my shotgun and busting 25 clays on the skeet range. That is apples to oranges and I'm not sure how or why you miss that point. For clarity, I'm not advocating anything here. I posted the videos purely for discussion as a "what if" thing.

Could you please cite from Mr. Vickers book where he states there are only two moving parts in the semi automatic handgun? Better yet, expand on that yourself for discussion?

Originally Posted By: GCTo nobody in particular, remember that you get the fight you get. Not necessarily the one you want.

So, so true. You have to make sure that your skills can come UP to the severity of the situation and not HOPE that the situation's severity will come DOWN to your level of skill. "Training" is more than blowing holes in the dirt once in a while. Even the most basic hand to hand skills are not hard to learn and practice and could make the difference. You also need to practice your mindset.

Good luck is when opportunity meets preparation, while bad luck is when lack of preparation meets reality--Eliyahu Goldratt

Quote:Could you please cite from Mr. Vickers book where he states there are only two moving parts in the semi automatic handgun? Better yet, expand on that yourself for discussion?

That's easy, Gary. Gotta be the front sight and rear sight (when in use
unsure.gif
).

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:Could you please cite from Mr. Vickers book where he states there are only two moving parts in the semi automatic handgun? Better yet, expand on that yourself for discussion?

That's easy, Gary. Gotta be the front sight and rear sight (when in use
unsure.gif
).

Regards,
hm

LOL...

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: GCStand by, I'm waiting to be edified.

dang. that sounds painful. does a lubricant help?

Painless so far. But I don't think he is very good at it.

GC,

You're in desperation for a way out of your predicament.

It wouldn't matter what I write. You've postured yourself in a defensive position in which you're defending videos of no tactical value except for armchair commandos.

You're obviously reluctant to email Larry Vickers, and I can see why. Show us your considerable skills. Contact Mr. Vickers and set him straight. You're a trained killer. It should be an easy dojo outing for you

Writing from a position of actual knowledge born of professional training and experience, martial artists are clueless. They're good within controlled contests. They're just another victim when they assume they're gonna intimidate an authentic bad guy. Just about every martial artist I've ever met loved to pick fights with people whom they felt they could whip. I've never seen a black belt pick a fight with an outlaw biker who had no clue of what a dojo was.

Bruce Lee was an actor. Every single one of his "fight" scenes was choreographed.

Here's a true story: while I was in college, there was a wannabe tough guy who probably used to watch grasshopper playing a flute while walking barefoot across the American West, trippin' on peyote. A starting linebacker for the SF '49'ers (Other NFL players used to work out at my college's weight room. Every single one was studly and polite.) used to work out at my college's weight room during the off season. He was a self-confident stud who knew he didn't have to prove a thing to anyone. He was extremely quiet, polite, and, when asked, helpful. Young grasshopper thought he'd make a name for himself by picking a fight with SF linebacker. After all, grasshopper was a trained killer, and the linebacker (I remember his name) was merely a professional football player. The LB gave the trained killer every opportunity to rethink his planned exhibition of trained killer dancing. The moron was too stupid to figure out when he was accorded opportunity to bow out without painful consequences. He hopped into his trained killer stance. It was over inside of 10 seconds with the trained killer's blood all over the locker room shower area and not a mark on the professional LB . BTW, there might have been 15 pounds weight difference between the two. All witnesses knew trained killer started the fight, pro LB gave him every opportunity to walk away w/o pain, and LB merely defended himself from a martial artist who was stupid to believe in fantasies.

Martial arts is opium for armchair commandos.

Here's what I was taught: when a bad guy decides he ain't going along with the program, what you think you know is useless info, for it will become a street brawl. That's why professional law enforcement officers carry striking and gas weapons. The idea is to not allow anyone to get close enough to touch a professional. Don't let my training, expertise, and experience conflict with your fantasies. Go with your trained killer knowledge.

Now get to working on setting Larry Vickers straight. He's in desperate need of your considerable skills.

As for me, I don't have to prove a thing to you. I'm merely trying to prevent what you think you know from getting you into a predicament that will not turn out good for you.

Your videos were entertainment for the uninitiated.

The three most difficult words for trained killers to say, "I was wrong."

Let us know how your interaction with Larry turns out.

Here's one more attempt to help you out: authentic bad guys will never telegraph what they intend to do to you. You'll know their intentions after they've done it to you. That's the importance of recognizing cues of authentic bad guys. The ones remaining vertical are the wise. They know of the life-preserving importance of avoidance.

Last edited:
Anecdote:

Wannabe tough guy applied for a sworn position for a law enforcement agency about a year after the NFL LB cleaned his clock. He was not hired. LE background investigations are primarily designed to ID applicants who should not be cops, and trained killer was never a cop. My guess is he dropped out and worked at menial jobs. I had heard he was busted for trying to impersonate a law enforcement officer. I ran across him decades later. I felt sorry for him. He was no longer doing martial arts. He obviously lacked bubbles in his plumb line.

Originally Posted By: GC
EMP3 said:
Could you please cite from Mr. Vickers book where he states there are only two moving parts in the semi automatic handgun? Better yet, expand on that yourself for discussion?

think you are not going to get an answer.

this guy might be related to that guy from oklahoma that showed up awhile back. 1assassin was his handle. great dude.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm still trying to figure out the only two moving parts.

Obviously you haven't tried to keep the front and rear sights from moving, or you would know, Bill.
wink.gif

Next time I break down my 1911, I'm gonna leave a lot of those little bitty pieces and parts out; obviously they don't do nothin'.

Regards,
hm

Back