Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2972526 - 06/26/16 04:08 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
idahorob Offline
Predator Master

Loc: idaho
haha nice man

#3011555 - 11/25/16 04:15 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: Hidalgo]
texken Offline
Predator Master

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Hidalgo
There has never been a documented case of a wild bobcat breeding with a domestic cat. Ever. My wife is a board certified critical care veterinarian and also has a specialty license in zoological medicine (wildlife). She laughed when I asked her about this. She did say, however, that there are domestic cat breeds that look very similar to bobcats.

As for the bobcat feeding alongside the domestic cats, that's entirely possible. I've heard of stranger things. Not all "predatory" animals are necessarily 100% predatory. They are also opportunists in some cases. Cat food = easy no-effort meal. But it wouldn't surprise me if the cats go down in numbers over time .......
+1

#3085781 - 08/14/17 08:20 AM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
17varmint Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Curious what she feeds them and if it is a bobcat, then that would be interesting.
After studying and trapping bobcats over the past 12 years it is for sure they eat fresh meat. They shy away from rotten and/or tainted meat. We have shot a deer or two just before dark and had to wait til morning to tack them and only to find that a bobcat had already found them and ate a little and covered the deer with leaves. We set up trail cameras at the sites and got pictures of the bobcats.

#3085838 - 08/14/17 12:58 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
SnowmanMo Offline
Director/Moderator

Loc: Phoenix, Az
You should have seen the cat that was brought in while Desert Ram and I were getting his bobcat pelt tagged by game and fish at the last PM convention. A guy had shot it in his garden, took pics of it, skinned it and brought it down to the game and fish department. I swear it looked just like a cross between a house cat and bobcat. It had a big head, pointed ears with tufts, smaller body like a house cat, all of the markings of a bobcat including the bobbed tail. There was a buzz in the back as they were examining it.

Ultimately they told him, and us, that it was just an abnormal house cat. Desert Ram even got a pic of it because it was so bizarre.

Mama always said, coyotes are like a box of chocolates...

#3087451 - 08/22/17 10:27 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
Wyoming Winchester Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: WY
A cat is a cat. I've been out night spotting jacks. I've seen barn,{feril} cats around a ranch house at night. Not 100yds away was a large bob cat. He might of been looking for his next meal. But if one of those ferils was in heat, I'll put money on him slapping her along side the head and having his way with her. Instead of diner.

#3092757 - 09/23/17 10:10 AM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
Teep Offline

Loc: Mid Missouri
Years ago, back in the '70, my Dad shot what appeared to be a bobcat, my beagles had treed it. Took it to the county office and they paid a $5 bounty on it. A few days later a neighbor came over with the sheriff complaining that my Dad had shot his daughter's cat. Turns out they had brought a Chinese linx through Canada which was totally illegal in the states. The funny thing is the sheriff ask the neighbor what he would do if his dogs treed a strange cat and not thinking the neighbor blurted out "I'd shoot the [beeep] thing". The sheriff also stated that a cat is a wondering animal and belongs to the property it is on. In other words he said that no one really owns a cat, I still wonder if this is true.

#3093885 - 09/28/17 01:47 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
It appears there are no confirmed cases of domestic cats and bobcats hybridizing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid#Confirmed_domestic_cat_.C3.97_felid_hybrids

Domestic cat × bobcat (Lynx rufus): There are reports of bobcats breeding with domestic cats, but evidence of offspring remains circumstantial and anecdotal.

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

#3133817 - 02/20/18 07:49 AM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
pilot Offline

Loc: Missouri
And if they actually reproduced, the offspring should all be sterile males.

#3136030 - 02/28/18 09:31 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: Teep]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Teep
The sheriff also stated that a cat is a wondering animal and belongs to the property it is on. In other words he said that no one really owns a cat, I still wonder if this is true.

If I understand correctly, the Sheriff was refering to a wild animal? If so, then I don't think he was correct. The animal doesn't belong to any particular landowner just because it's on his property, but when taken lawfully, like in hunting season, the animal then becomes the property of whomever took it, again, with everything being done legally. Outside of hunting season or legal means, the animals belongs to everyone, ie the public. This is my understanding anyway.

#3139822 - 03/17/18 06:09 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: SnowmanMo]
Chris623 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Central Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo
You should have seen the cat that was brought in while Desert Ram and I were getting his bobcat pelt tagged by game and fish at the last PM convention. A guy had shot it in his garden, took pics of it, skinned it and brought it down to the game and fish department. I swear it looked just like a cross between a house cat and bobcat. It had a big head, pointed ears with tufts, smaller body like a house cat, all of the markings of a bobcat including the bobbed tail. There was a buzz in the back as they were examining it.

Ultimately they told him, and us, that it was just an abnormal house cat. Desert Ram even got a pic of it because it was so bizarre.

I was in Eureka Springs, AR for Valentine's week. There was a cat in one of the gift shops that looked just like a Bobcat. I marveled at it. The shop owner said it was an exotic cat and not very well known in the U.S.............but that it was a domestic cat and very expensive. I can't remember the name, but it was huge and looked just like a Bobcat. When I asked if it was a cross-breed, she said it wasn't. But it sure was beautiful.

#3196845 - 03/08/19 01:14 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: randolph45]
Bloodhound Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Colorado
When I was a kid, 7 or 8, my dad took me to a pet store in Denver. They had an Ocelot for sale...it was in a glass cabinet and the shop owner told us that it was wild and had scratched and bit him. My dad said he had always wanted one, but couldn't afford one. It was cool to see it but I didn't want it as a pet...

That same shop also sold baby alligators.

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD

#3203624 - 05/14/19 03:19 PM Re: Feral Bobcat [Re: Goe Blow]
22 Chuck Offline

Loc: Montmorency Co, MI
Way back in the mid 50s there was a bobtailed cat in our neighborhood, "out in the country at that time." It was finally killed eating a dead chicken a neighbor had thrown out w/ the manure.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.