If you could have only one.....

Case Arapaho. Have 2 of them best knife I ever owned. Takes about 6 or 8 strokes on a stone to go from dull to shaving. Made in 1981.

Last edited:
I normally have a Case medium stockman in my 5th pocket, but have a Benchmade folder of some flavor for going through more than just one box breakdown and more than a few banding straps cut. Currently that's a Foray. Camping I'll wear a Nimravus Cub for utility.

Can't choose just one.

I have a Hella fixed blade that i am very partial to. I dont know that i'd use it as screw driver, but it works pretty well as knife.

Originally Posted By: GCButter knife answer caused me to giggle. I'd definitely go along with the B&T nomination. A good Bird & Trout does what a knife is supposed to do. I don't beat knives through wood and all that bushcraft stuff. I have a Gransfors Brux hatchet and axe for those chores.

Agree GC...this is supposed to be a hunting site so I choose a B&T for general field use.
For day to day chores your pocket knife of choice is really all a fellow needs.
I like traditional spear point single blade Jacks but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

All around, Buck 301 Stockman. Long ago carried it and a 110 Hunter for hunting, but the 301 will do it all.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Sammo62Have two 301's and wanted a 307, just hard to find one with a decent price.

I had forgotten the 307. Liked it a lot, but opted for the 301's which were just right for every day pocket carry; the 307 just a tad too big for that. Thought I knew where my 307 was, but it's currently missing......will have to try to remedy that.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

The 307 were made by Camillus and some by Shrade. The older Bucks have the Spay blade on one end and the sheepfoot and main blade on the other.

These older knives only had two back springs while the newer ones have three, one for each blade and the sheepsfoot is on the end.

It is a toss up on the blade steel because I have a 2002 and 2006 301 and the earlier one is harder which I think is 440 and the later knives are 420 HC.

I know 420 can be hard if the heat treat is right per my Gerber fixed blade but in this case the 420 is soft. I prefer the earlier knives for this reason.

Last edited:
Many years ago on the way to Africa I found a Buck 110 on sale, bought it, wore it every day for two years. Skinned, dressed and butchered everything from buffalo on down to chickens, never been without one since, have others but don’t need others

Back