Thermal Owners

6mm06

I have revised this post to hopefully yield a better account of thermal device dependability or problems. I realize this is not a scientific model and will only give results from Predator Masters members who have thermal scopes / monoculars and only for those who respond. I would like to encourage anyone who owns a thermal device to share your experience with it, such as:

(1) Brand
(2) Model
(3) How long you have owed the thermal.
(4) If you have not experienced a problem with the scope, OR that there was a problem that required it to be returned. If you had a problem, how long did you own it when the problem first occurred?
(5) Brief explanation of problem if you experienced one.
(6) Customer service experience
(7) Repaired or replaced
(8) Or any other information you might wish to give

Hopefully some data can be obtained by this such as:

Brand / Model dependability
Problems inherent to specific models
Customer Service

This might also give decision-making information to anyone looking to purchase a thermal device. It might also lead to optic companies paying attention to concerns of consumers, which might lead to better optics in the future. Information serves us all.

I will begin with my own experience.

Brand: Pulsar
Model: Apex XQ38
Time: 5-6 months when first noticed it.
Problem: Black horizontal lines flickering up and down the ocular view. I love the scope otherwise.
CS: In the process of a return. Obtained return authorization number easily and good CS in phone conversation.

Pulsar
XP50
2 months (purchased last fall)
POI shifting 6+"
Also waiting for replacement and experienced friendly customer service

Cost me $100 to return, mucho coyotes and aggravation. Hunting partner also purchased one at same time and had same issues. He has received his replacement but demoted it to a scanner.

Great post idea 6mm-06, currently in the market for a different thermal!

Last edited:
Pulsar
Helion XP 50
12 months old
Condensation formed on the inside of the ocular lens in cold weather
Went through Pulsar warranty service and they were unable to fix the problem. They replaced the unit with a new one.

FLIR
Thermosight RS 32 1.25-5
Out of box new (three years ago)
DIopter didn't work.
FLIR CS had a new one to me within a month

FLIR
Thermosight RS 32 1.25-5 (replacement for one above)
1.5 years owned
Battery life was about 15 minutes
FLIR CS was good at first. Offered me a replacement of the new 12 micro. They lost my unit before they could evaluate it. Took 3 months to get through that. They sent me a replacement RS 32. Unfortunately, nite season was over.

I'm at 50 percent with them. Getting a Pulsar XP38. We'll see how well that goes...

Brand/Model: Pulsar Trail XQ38
How Long Owned: 3 months
Issue: Wouldn't hold zero in the cold
Customer Service: Contacted Pulsar support many times. They were always very responsive but first wouldn't admit there was an issue. Once they admitted it, there were so many scopes being sent in, they said it would be 3+ months to get a replacement. My dealer replaced it for me. 2nd one had issues as well and dealer swapped for a Flir, problem solved. Also, had a loose scope cap on my Pulsar Helion. Pulsar Customer Service sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. Overall Pulsar service was good.

Brand/Model:Flir PTS536
How Long Owned: 5 months
Issue: Very good scope but towards end of season had a weird mark in corner of eyepiece that didn't impact recording but was visible through eyepiece.
Customer Service: Flir support took 2 months to get back to me on my question of what it was. They told me this was most likely a high-energy burn on the eyepiece and it isn't a warranty item but it wouldn't be too expensive to fix. By this time, I had sent it in for RMA. The RMA process was easy and Flir paid for shipping. 1 month passed and no comments from Flir. Called them, and they said they were way behind as they didn't have parts or new products to swap out. They said to call back anytime. Experience was pretty poor up to this point. Finally after 6 total weeks, I called and left a message again. No response, but next day had a Federal Express shipping notice. They sent me a scope overnight for AM delivery. When I got it, it appears they replaced my entire scope with a brand new scope, shipped it overnight Federal Express, and didn't charge me anything. So, after lots of negatives during the process, the end result was good. I received a new scope, shipped as fast as humanly possible, with no charges. They scored some points with me after a very shaky start.

Pulsar HD19A scanner. Sent it in once for dead pixels and they fixed it with a quick turn around. Less than 2 weeks from when I sent it in I had it back. Used it for about a year without further issues until the image started to freeze. It was like looking through an old film negative of the last nuke and also what you were seeing at the present. Sent it back, they said it was not repairable and no replacements available as it was discontinued. They offered me a XQ23V for replacement. I got it but didn't like the quality of the image. Sent it back and got an Axion Key XM30 all under warranty. Had it about 3 weeks and love it. I give Pulsar two thumbs up for customer service. They were very nice through out my issues.

ATN Thor320 thermal scope
ATN Handheld thermal modular

Had both for about 4 years, the only problem with the scope was the video connection wire broke in the scope (my fault). I made contact with ATN and was issued a RAN. Cost ME 300.00 to shipped it back to ATN with insurance. ATN made contact with me about a week after they received it, that it wasn't a warranty issue, the cost of repair was 150.00 and took approximately 4 weeks to repair. Once repair was made, they sent me a e-mail that it was being shipped back. I know that ATN has a lot of complaints about CS, but I had no problems. As for as the handheld there have been 0 problems. Quite happy with the ATN products

Last edited:
Trijicon IR Hunter MK3 35MM (now 60mm)
Owned for 2 years.
The winter before, when I NUCed it,the picture would turn to snow when it was cold.
Called Trijicon, they sent me a shipping label, completely rebuilt it in three weeks, and shipped it back free of charge.

Upgrading it to 60mm, was just as painless. Of course, it cost to upgrade, but shipping was free both ways.

Had 2 Pulsar HD19A's. Have had for around 2 years. 1 started tilling in cold weather. Contacted them and sent it in and they sent me an upgraded XD19A very quickly. Bonus. Both have been working fine. Have a Trail XP50 and also a Helion XP28. Had the POI issue to start with but seemed to eventually stabilize but was told to send it in. Replaced with new one in short order. No issues with it since and none with the Xp28. Have had 2 batteries that went bad shortly and they replaced both in short order with the advice I posted about running them down completely to start with, then recharge them. Have had nothing but outstanding service with them. Have read of several people getting upgrades when theirs went bad or had an issue. Customer care like this is going to assure of repeat purchases and a good reputation.

Last edited:
Brand/Model: Pulsar Quantum HD19A monocular
How Long Owned: Just shy of 3 years
Issue: Would not turn on.
Customer Service: Contacted Pulsar support and they send an RA#. Pulsar Customer Service sent me a brand new one, no questions asked in just over a week. Pulsar (Sellmark) service was excellent.

Brand/Model: Pulsar Apex XD50A
How Long Owned: 28 months
Issue: Very good scope but in the midst of a hunt, it would not NUC. Apparently the NUC shutter stuck in the closed position and I couldn't see anything.
Customer Service: Pulsar (Sellmark) sent me an RA# and prepaid FedEx shipping label. Just shy of two weeks and I had a new Apex XQ50 in hand since the XD50A was no longer available. Excellent service.

(1) Brand

PULSAR

(2) Model

TRAIL XP50

(3) How long you have owed the thermal.

About 18 months.

(4) If you have not experienced a problem with the scope, OR that there was a problem that required it to be returned. If you had a problem, how long did you own it when the problem first occurred?

After first moth of use noticed the zero shift Pulsar became so popular over.

Sent my unit in, got it back within a few weeks after a new firmware fix and it's been good to go since.

NOTE- I use my A LOT.

(5) Brief explanation of problem if you experienced one.

See Above, zero shift, problem fixed.

I have had another issue... when the auto record activates due to a shot, it records in a FAST FORWARD way so the video is useless. I've taken LOTS and LOTS of videos and it's only done it twice that I can recall.

Last thing to mention I noticed, when the unit auto nukes, every once in a blue moon the shutter sticks... no big deal, I just power off/on. I'd say it's done this maybe five or six times... not enough to worry about as far as I'm concerned. Seems like it might do it once out of every ten outings/hunts.

(6) Customer service experience

Excellent, great communications, fast response. Also, same from Night Goggles, where I purchased it from.

(7) Or any other information you might wish to give

I believe the zero shift issue has been solved, at least mine seems to be holding zero as it should.

The other two above issues are not a problem for me now unless they get for frequent in occurrence, if so, I'm sure Pulsar/Sellmark will take care of me.

Pulsar/Sellmark extended my warranty to restart once I got my unit back.

I'd not hesitate to buy another, I'm getting close to purchasing another Thermal and I see no reason why not to stick with Pulsar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptLast thing to mention I noticed, when the unit auto nukes, every once in a blue moon the shutter sticks... no big deal, I just power off/on. I'd say it's done this maybe five or six times... not enough to worry about as far as I'm concerned. Seems like it might do it once out of every ten outings/hunts.[/b]It happens on my Helion at times as well. Probably happens one time during a full night of hunting. I’d worry but all you need to do is a quick press of the power button and it NUCs it again and it typically releases the stuck shutter.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptLast thing to mention I noticed, when the unit auto nukes, every once in a blue moon the shutter sticks... no big deal, I just power off/on. I'd say it's done this maybe five or six times... not enough to worry about as far as I'm concerned. Seems like it might do it once out of every ten outings/hunts.[/b]It happens on my Helion at times as well. Probably happens one time during a full night of hunting. Id worry but all you need to do is a quick press of the power button and it NUCs it again and it typically releases the stuck shutter.

Yup. My Helion does the same and a quick manual nuc always clears the issue.

Brand: Flir scout 32 thermal monocular bought 5 years ago
Owned for 2 years and sold to upgrade
Never had a problem but was worthless for ID much past 100 yards

Night Optics D760 Gen3 night vision, bought 5 years ago
Owned for 2 years and sold it when I looked thru a friends XP50
Actually a very good unit

Currently own 3 Trijicon MK2 35mm oldest is about 3 years old
Had a slight problem with the battery pack adapter loosing connection
but that was an after market add on. Love these units. One was originally a 19mm and sent it in to have it upgraded to a 35mm and that transaction was fast and flawless.

Currently own a Pulsar XP50 that I just use as a scanner cause it wont hold zero. Sent it in and the one I got back wont hold zero either. I plan to send it back in soon cause it is about to run out of warranty.

Currently I have on order a Pulsar XQ38. My thoughts on Pulsar are they are a very good company with some growing pains but very good customer service and excellent optical quality. I actually think my Pulsar has slightly better picture than my Trijicons when it gets humid. I have had hands on experience helping friends zero and figure out how to use 6 other Pulsar units and 4 of them would not hold zero. Those units were not bought within the last year. Just yesterday I zeroed a brand new XP50 LRF for a friend and it was flawless and the best optical picture I have seen yet. He's taking it to south Texas this weekend to hunt Nilgai and I sure hope it holds zero. He is on his 4th Pulsar unit. He upgraded an xd38 that held zero for an XP50 that did not hold zero. Sent that XP50 in and this unit IS holding zero. I do not believe any of our POI problems were mount or temperature related. I am no expert just addicted

Wow... I did not realize the XP's are STILL having this issue. I'm coming up on the time to make another purchase... and figured I'd stick with Pulsar... dang, I hate to go through what I went through earlier.

Am I looking at this wrong? In other words are the units still having problems the older ones folks just have yet to return and get corrected... like I had to?

For all their problems, Pulsars customer service still stands near the top of the heap compared to the others. I own an XP38 and haven’t noticed issues-yet. I bought it 6 months ago, and unless buying a Trijicon MKIII 35 which is in a different price league, I’d buy another Pulsar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptWow... I did not realize the XP's are STILL having this issue. I'm coming up on the time to make another purchase... and figured I'd stick with Pulsar... dang, I hate to go through what I went through earlier.

Am I looking at this wrong? In other words are the units still having problems the older ones folks just have yet to return and get corrected... like I had to?

Bowhntr, I can tell you I purchased one this last fall feeling sure the problem was corrected only to go through the same thing you did (read your old posts, misery loves company ha). Streamvision said I had the current firmware. Had to send it back, it was deemed defective and I just got the replacement.

I am left feeling it is STILL not fixed but hoping it is. I had vowed to move to a different brand but now I find myself tempted to try the replacement. The gentleman at Sellmark was so good to deal with that I hate to switch but would hate to deal with the drama again even more! Not a definite answer but hope it helps.

Pulsar xq30v scanner, owned since fall of 18, does what I need it to and is a very good introductory scanner for beginners. Not had any issues with operation or need of warranty repair. knock on wood.

All FLIR since 2010, FLIR T-50, FLIR T-60, FLIR T-70s, FLIR T-75, FLIR RS-64s, FLIR M-18, FLIR M-24, FLIR LS64s, FLIRONE’s.....all have worked perfectly for tens of thousands of hours of abuse, zero problems.

Next up is a FLIR SCION 640...

Back