New Folding Bird & Trout...

GC

It's a Spyderco Ikuchi. Ikuchi is "sea monster" in Japanese. The designer felt the flowing lines reminded him of this ancient serpent in Japanese culture. Interesting knife for sure.

The scales are carbon fiber overlay on G10. Gives a nice look and very grippy texture. The back of the knife is open construction. No gunk can gather in there. The knife is screwed together and easy enough to completely disassemble for a very thorough deep cleaning if necessary. Inside the scales are fully nested milled steel liners for strength. The pocket clip is the best design I've seen. This deep carry wire clip is superb!

The blade is 3.25" of S30V steel and is thin flat ground at .94" stock. The plunge line and sharpening choil are perfect. That doesn't happen on many knives. The knife is .4" thick and the handle ergonomics are excellent. I have found no hot spots or experienced any discomfort while using the knife. In fact, the knife is very comfortable in use and carry. This is a purely wicked slicing blade. The tip is fine and precise.

The knife uses one of my favorite locking systems, the Spyderco Compression Lock. This lock is really easy and intuitive to use and brute strong. This is a flipper without the usual protruding flipping tab. That little rounded wheel like end of the blade allows a fast firing blade that locks very solidly with the Compression Lock. The action is very smooth on phosphor bronze washers and the blade locks solidly with zero blade play. The blade is perfectly centered. Ikuchi is very unobtrusive in the pocket, fires fast and solid and is plain fun to manipulate. It's better than any fidget spinner! Overall weight is only 2.4 ounces.

I have carried this for about three weeks now as an EDC around town and absolutely love it. I called it a folding B&T and can see lots of use for this blade in exactly that role. Need to breast out a limit of doves? Clean some waterfowl, grouse, rabbit or squirrel? Gut a trout or panfish? Slice summer sausage or an apple for lunch? Casual use in the kitchen has been satisfying. Or just as an EDC around the home place the Ikuchi has you covered. I haven't been this excited about a factory knife in a long time.
a0p59yv.jpg

zcj5zk5.jpg

LffezzG.jpg

1NPLqKq.jpg

Nice one GC, at first the clip mount looked weak, then I figured it out, clever !!

"...It's better than any fidget spinner!..." I'll take you to task on that one,
I've got a couple spinners that go forever - the gran-kids covet those spinners !!!

Bob, can you prep lunch, open a package, pick out a splinter or clean small game or birds with it?
smile.gif

Back