Savage 110 prairie hunter .224 valkyrie

mkeller72

Just curious if any one has one of these rifles yet? Haven't found any in stock any where, wasn't sure if they were out yet. If you have one what do you think of it? Thanks guys.

Have ost of the other .22 caliber guns and saw this and added it to my bucket list. Would be used for varmint, predator, and bench shooting.

I think, if one is planning to buy a .224 valkyrie, they should also buy a lifetime supply of brass at least. The round doesn't seem to have the same rage as others that have come around lately

If you are after something for shooting light bullets, I would not use the Valkyrie. I have seen no advantage in it. If you want to shoot the heavies, that is where it is better. Only issue is that you need a 6.5 twist for the 90 gr and just about everything is a 7 twist. I have not been able to get the 90's to shoot good in a 7 twist AR. Most people have the same issue. The big hype for it was the heavies and shooting long distance. Long distance means nothing if they wont shoot accurately. I have been able to shoot tight groups with the 80 grain. As Shane said, buy lots of brass. I am also finding the primer pockets start going bad as soon as 2 loadings. Some last longer. After 4 loadings, I have lost 50 of the original 100 pieces I started with. If I shoot the barrel out on this one, I will not build another. Not impressed with it right now.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Mark, is the AR COAL limiting you from taking full advantage of case capacity and/or lands engagement?

No. I am using ASC stainless mags and am able to load them to touch the lands. I am still playing with the 90 grain. Not ready to give up on them yet. Reloads are better than the factory loadings.

That's a long bullet for sure...I imagine it will take a good bit of farting around to get em right. I imagine once you do find it, you'll be happier that you worked with it.

Back