Arizona- Sunday, May 12 is deadline to submit public comment on proposal to restrict predator hunting contests

AllPredatorCalls

Reminder:
Sunday, May 12, is deadline to submit public comment on proposal to restrict predator hunting contests

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department reminds constituents that Sunday, May 12, is the last day to provide comments on a proposal to adopt a rule that would prohibit using any lethal method of take during a hunting contest for predatory and fur-bearing animals, as defined under Arizona Revised Statutes 17-101.

All public comments received from April 12 to May 12 will become part of the official record for this proposed rulemaking.

Send your comments here via E-mail: rulemaking@azgfd.gov

Originally Posted By: IannuzziWhat is their reasoning for wanting to prohibit this?

they're bunny hugging vegan [beeep] who think all hunting should stop and nobody should ever enjoy a good hamburger?

Originally Posted By: IannuzziWhat is their reasoning for wanting to prohibit this?

These are comments from the Commission:

"To the extent, these contests reflect on the overall hunting community, public outrage with these events has the potential to threaten hunting as a legitimate wildlife management function,'' the agency says, in a notice of the proposed rule change.

They are worried about the "image" and "reflection" that contests have that "could" mobilize the anti's to go after other hunting.

I have written multiple times to the Commission and to the Governor, but the push back that I have been getting from the Commission and their staff seems to indicate that they see no problem banning these contests. These Commissioners are sell outs, they are anti's in hunters clothing. There is NOTHING that guarantees that if they ban hunting contests that hunting will be safe... it won't. The anti's will come after ALL forms of hunting.

This is the same fallacious arguments that have caused citizens to lose their rights to keep and bear arms. This is a slow, methodical erosion of our sport. They have succeeded in dividing hunters, with those who don't like contests supporting the ban.

There is NO science behind their consideration, only politics.

This is the most recent letter that I sent to the Governor on this matter:
Governor Ducey,

My name is Jason Mosler and I am a citizen of Arizona, a Hunter's Ed instructor, a hunter and a small business owner.

I am writing to you today to express my concerns about the Arizona Game and Fish Commissions consideration of banning hunting contests in Arizona. In the past, I have supported the Commission and many of it's decisions. This one, I cannot get behind. In the past their decisions were science based and were made to enhance the hunting experience in Arizona. I have lived in other states where the game and fish departments were not hunter friendly so I was relieved to find that the AZGFD seemed to be very pro hunter. But this consideration to ban predator hunting contests is NOT based in ANY way on science. The Commission has come out in recent comments to the media and signaled that they are considering this ban because of the "image" that these contests have created. The Commission claims that they are concerned that anti-hunters would attack hunting in general if the Commission does not concede on this point. This is a COWARDLY position to take. There is NOTHING that will guarantee that hunting will be left alone by these liberal anti-hunters if hunting contests are banned. In fact, if history is a lesson, these anti-hunting groups will just continue their anti-hunting campaigns emboldened by victories like this.

Governor, I know that these Commissioners are appointed by you. I would hope that you would remind these Commissioners that they are here to enhance hunting in Arizona and NOT to cater to the anti-hunting liberal left. Please do not allow Arizona to join the likes of Commiefornia and other liberal states where hunters have to beg and plead for the opportunity to enjoy their sports. Hunting represents a sizeable portion of funding for things like the AZGFD and to ban this kind of hunting based SOLELY off of emotion and NO science is going to cut funds and send a message that the AZGFD and the Governor of Arizona do not support hunters and sportsmen and women.

Please do not let this happen.

Sincerely,

Jason Mosler

I have been to the Azgfd meeting and all hunter voices were falling on deaf ears as had their minds made up before the meeting.I will bet it goes 4 to one in favor of banning!!!These commissioners are spineless just like Mclame was!!!!

Well, for what good it did, I got a response from the Gubners office...

Dear Mr. Mosler,

The Governor's Office is in receipt of your e-mail communication.

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the proposed rulemaking on hunting contests in Arizona. We have forwarded your information to the appropriate staff at the Department for review and consideration.

The link below provides information about the proposed rulemaking, as well as where to send comments. The comment period will remain open until May 12th, 2019.

https://www.azgfd.com/game-and-fish-commission-considers-rule-to-restrict-predator-hunting-contests/

Thank you for contacting the Governor's Office. We wish you well.

Office of Constituent Services
Arizona Governor Doug Ducey

As a Arizona Hunter I would love to see the contest band. Makes us all look like Savage's. I do hunt coyotes more than most unless mange they go on the stretcher vanything else is want and waist

Originally Posted By: arielpAzcatter you should join the project coyote group you would fit right in!! Your probably pro choice too right??

Replies like this are a sure fire way for non contest hunters to not care about your opinion and not care to help you out in the future.

Originally Posted By: NUT_doggerOriginally Posted By: arielpAzcatter you should join the project coyote group you would fit right in!! Your probably pro choice too right??

Replies like this are a sure fire way for non contest hunters to not care about your opinion and not care to help you out in the future.

That's a fallacy. If you look at the replies, they already do not care and will not help now or in the future.

I will say it again. I don't care if you choose to hunt in contests or not. But if you think that "your" style of hunting will be left alone just because you choose not to hunt in contests, you are in for a very unpleasant surprise.

That is the fallacious position of the Game and Fish department. By their own admission, they know that hunting regulations need to be 100% rooted in science. They know that hunting contests of coyotes do NOT threaten the population. But they too fall victim to the fallacy that if you just give up the "unpopular" hunting contests that anti-hunters will leave other hunting alone.

How do I know that this is the case? Anti-hunters have been going after the TOTAL annihilation of hunting long BEFORE hunting contests popped up on radar. We here at PM have been the targets of their wrath. They falsely labeled our CONVENTION as a "hunting contest" in order to justify their protests. Even when we welcomed a discussion with them in order to educate, they continued to threaten and attack us, even focusing on certain board members to target and terrorize. It got so bad that some of us reached out to our state AG's in an attempt to stop the personal attacks. I personally testified in one of those cases in order to get the anti's shut down.

So when I see other "hunters" who are willing to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the attacks against certain "forms" or disciplines in our sport, it is very disheartening. I don't trap. But I support the right of trappers and I support trapping since the game and fish departments allow it. I don't hunt with dogs. but I support the right of other hunters to use dogs.

This divide and conquer strategy is the same one that anti-gunners have successfully used for years. They know they can't get ALL guns banned, so they go after "certain" guns, with the promise to leave others alone. Do they? Nope. After they get those guns with those "certain" features banned, then they turn their sights on those other guns that they "promised" to leave alone.

Anti hunters and anti gunners are one and the same. They will not stop until they achieve their ultimate goals. COMPLETE annihilation of the sports that we love.

For a hunter to hope a certain type of hunting gets banned is just plain stupid and you are just as bad as the antis. I’m not a trapper, does that mean I’m gonna push and HOPE trapping gets banned someday? Absolutely not that would be idiotic. I’m not a big fan of shooting a deer over 1000 yards, does that mean I’m gonna HOPE it’s gets banned because we look like savages and unethical for killing a deer at that distance? Absolutely not, I’m gonna keep my mouth shut and hunt the way I want to hunt. It’s just sad where certain types of predator hunters get slammed on a PREDATOR hunting forum for the way they choose to hunt coyotes.

"Absolutely not, I’m gonna keep my mouth shut and hunt the way I want to hunt."

That's the problem, you aren't keeping your mouth shut. Your in it for the fame and notoriety and the "insta" likes just like the rest of the contest hunters causing the anti's to look at us.

Originally Posted By: HeyYouWell said SnowmanMo. Next up will be Bambi & Thumper.

That's EXACTLY what I am afraid of. Give them an inch, we know what they will do.

Originally Posted By: NUT_dogger "Absolutely not, I’m gonna keep my mouth shut and hunt the way I want to hunt."

That's the problem, you aren't keeping your mouth shut. Your in it for the fame and notoriety and the "insta" likes just like the rest of the contest hunters causing the anti's to look at us.

That is the problem. Who are YOU to say why someone does/does not hunt contests? Can you read my mind? No. So for you to sit there and say that guys that hunt contests are "in it for the notoriety and the insta likes" is wrong. I hunt. I hunt contests. Not all of them, but I hunt in some. I like the challenge. I like pitting myself not only against the animals, but against the clock and against other hunters. When we come together at the check in, I like the camaraderie. I like to hear how other hunters overcame the adversity. Just like I do here.

Anti's are NOT "looking at us" because of contests. They look at us because we HUNT. For you to place the blame solely on contest hunters is wrong. Do you post pics and stories? Cause if you do, then you are in it for the notoriety, according to your own standards. So before you start throwing around blame, take a good look in the mirror. I am not blaming you or ANY other hunter for the behavior and the tactics of the anti's. That is entirely on them. I will stand will any legal hunter in defense of our sport REGARDLESS of whether I choose to hunt the way you do, or hunt what you hunt, or not. That is the beauty of PM.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo ....That is the fallacious position of the Game and Fish department. By their own admission, they know that hunting regulations need to be 100% rooted in science.

Once again, this is not accurate. There is no science-based reason to require a hunter to retain the meat of deer he kills, yet we are required to do that. Failing to realize or choosing to ignore that many laws/regulations are based on ethics/morals is simply ignoring half the argument.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo .....So when I see other "hunters" who are willing to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the attacks against certain "forms" or disciplines in our sport, it is very disheartening.

What is "disheartening" are "hunters" willing to defend and even promote un-ethical behavior by some of their own regardless of the consequences. They are the ones turning a blind eye and deaf ear to what many of these contests consist of....why....oh yeah, because it's "legal".

Most activities/sports have self-regulating areas. There's no rule against a batter sneaking a peak back to see where the catcher is positioned, but the next pitch is certain to be up and way inside causing quite a bit of pain for the batter. Refusing to self-regulate areas of un-ethical behavior will ultimately result in others gladly stepping in to put restrictions in place.

What is the difference between a group of men getting together, calling in and killing a hundred or so coyotes over a weekend,where the coyote has an actual chance at survival and using his cunning to live and an airplane chasing them down and gunning them by the hundreds in the name of "predation control"?

And who are you to say your morals are the ways others should be conducting them selves when their choice of practice of hunting coyotes is of not detriment to the survival or population of the species?

A little devil's advocate here...

I think drinking and smoking is an abomination and you should all see things the same as I. If you can't see that then you all are pathetic excuses of human beings and should forcefully have your freedom to choose stripped from you.

Yeah, there are plenty of other countries out there that like to strip freedoms from good people who just want to live as they choose so long as it's not hurting anyone. That's how we, the USA came to be in the first place.
Feel free to take up residency in any one of your liking.
Maybe then again, you might just be our next Democratic presidential hopeful. After all, you are from Illinois.

A couple questions for you anti-coyote hunting contest folks, what is it about the contests that makes you turn your backs on your fellow hunters and side with the anti-hunters?
I realize you that think it makes us look bad in the eyes of those that already hate us, and don't give me that BS about how contest hunters run down fences and little old ladies to get to the prime spots...that's no different than calling all gun owners criminals.

Also, do you feel the same way about big buck contests?

I've never been to a coyote hunting contest as there aren't many in my area but I don't go around bad mouthing anyone that partakes in one. The way I see it; people aren't doing anything that they wouldn't, or couldn't normally do, they just happen to be doing it at the same time and getting together to talk about it and show their results afterwards. I don't see how you view that as unethical in any way.

Back