Who is going pd shooting this year?

xphunter

Weather knocked me out today, but getting a number of XP-100's and a G-2 ready for pd season.
Some cartridges that will be used this year: 221 Fireball AI, 22-250, 223, 22 Creed, 20 BR, 204 Ruger, 20 Vartarg, 17 Mach IV, 6x45, 6x47, 6 BR, 6XC, and 6 Creed.
Getting excited.

Anyone else doing any doggin or rock-chuck shooting this year?
If, so what do you plan to use?

5 rifles, 2 handguns, binos, rangefinder, spotting scope, shooting table and lots and lots of ammo, got to last me about 8 days as the avg on gophers is about 5-600 a day and 100 pasture poodles.
Got the rig all loaded and ready to go in the morning. Pic of rig from 2 years ago, has served me well. Usually camp right in the middle of shooting spots. The second pic is of a new spot I found and have permission to have at it as it is an active site.

gopher-rig.jpg

1-good-spot.jpg

Last edited:
Headed to South Dakota in a few weeks. 204 223s and 22 250s. Got a new ball head carbon fiber tripod with kopfjager mount for mobile set up.

Wyoming mid May. 17 hmr, 17 wsm, 223 bolt, 223 ar, 243, first time out. Both of my sons are coming from the East coast. Guided trip for 3 days. Bucket list trip.

Originally Posted By: Traveling FisherWyoming mid May. 17 hmr, 17 wsm, 223 bolt, 223 ar, 243, first time out. Both of my sons are coming from the East coast. Guided trip for 3 days. Bucket list trip.

Cool!
Where in Wyoming?

Mid June in SD. Plan on a few less rifles than last year. The main are a 22” medium weight, custom AR, then a Model 70 ‘Coyote’ in 223. Secondary is the A-Bolt Varmint in 204. No 17 HMRs this time.

I already made lodging reservations, $50 a night for the cabin. Hopefully the weather is as nice as last year.

Originally Posted By: wicka5 rifles, 2 handguns, binos, rangefinder, spotting scope, shooting table and lots and lots of ammo, got to last me about 8 days as the avg on gophers is about 5-600 a day and 100 pasture poodles.
Got the rig all loaded and ready to go in the morning. Pic of rig from 2 years ago, has served me well. Usually camp right in the middle of shooting spots. The second pic is of a new spot I found and have permission to have at it as it is an active site.

gopher-rig.jpg

1-good-spot.jpg

Nice PJ. I have a 14' PJ dump and a 32' tandem dual 25k PJ hydraulic tilt and hydraulic landing gear. Now you are giving me expensive ideas lol.

Living in west nodak, cant have a year without going out for prairie dogs! Use the .22, .17hmr, 2 204 rugers and my sons new .223. He shot his first pd last year at 125 with my 17hmr and been itchin for more since then!

I am going for my first time to AZ. Plan to scout next month, it opens july 1st. .22lr, 17hmr, and .223. Was hoping to build a dedicated PD rig before going, but I just haven't had the money.

This is the first time in the last 15-16 years we haven't made a trip out west. The plague has hit all the spots we've shot in the last three years. And the few years prior to that were pretty poor too. It's a long way from Ga. for very limited shooting. It appears that it takes quite a while for the prairie dogs to come back. Guess I'll hunt coyotes and fish.

I moved out west, and am not going. I am willing and able to pay to hunt them, but cannot find a semi guided or guided hunt for one person for a couple days. Add in the poison gas, the plague and I said screw it. I don’t have a week or more to just drive around and hope to find some, nor am I a camper. I have more money than time.

I have been looking for places in S.D. to do some prairie dog shooting. And not much luck unless you want to pay big buck per day. I found one place for $100.00 bucks a day self guided. Anyone have some ideas or information Thank You

Originally Posted By: PappiI have been looking for places in S.D. to do some prairie dog shooting. And not much luck unless you want to pay big buck per day. I found one place for $100.00 bucks a day self guided. Anyone have some ideas or information Thank You

Call the Ranger districts over the National Grasslands and inquire with them. They were a lot of help when we went that route.

Back