TSS Apex ammo- pattern and ballistic gel test

Apex should have used TSS #3 or #4 shot for their coyote loads. TSS BB shot is to big for coyotes and it doesn't give you enough pellets per shell.

TSS #3 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 96.8 yards with 100 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.
TSS BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 175.2 yards with 47 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.

TSS looks to be the real deal. I must lead a sheltered life because I just recently found out about it. I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, I can't see any logical reason for using larger than #2? Or, even #3. And as far as it goes, I've killed the crap out of a bunch of coyote with #4.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAYeah, I can't see any logical reason for using larger than #2? Or, even #3. And as far as it goes, I've killed the crap out of a bunch of coyote with #4.

- DAA

With TSS #4 shot you could drop down to 1-1/4 oz loads, increase the speed a little and still have 104 pellets per shell.

TSS #4 shot at 1350 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 82.2 yards with 104 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
Lead BB shot at 1350 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 48.8 yards with 64 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

I think a 1-1/4 oz load of TSS #4 shot with 104 pellets would be deadlier than a 1-1/2 oz load of TSS BB shot with only 47 pellets per shell at 70 yards and under.

For open country shotgunning, TSS puts a shotgun in another league for all applications!

Did you see the penetration that the guy got at 40-50 yards? 14 or so inches!

I'd rather have a much wider pattern, with a lot higher pellet count. TSS #2 will still roll them up going away at 45 without nearly so tight and unforgiving a patten.

- DAA

many forget that those tight patterns equal a rifle at short range.

I put a burris speed beade on my shotguns, love that thing!

I don't trust either lead or copper plated lead bb's or smaller past 40 yards(can't get pass through chest wounds). But I'm only killing winter coyote and Red fox in the upper midwest,Dakota's. Can I mix TSS 4 with lead BB to lower the cost and get me to 50 yards?

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI don't trust either lead or copper plated lead bb's or smaller past 40 yards(can't get pass through chest wounds). But I'm only killing winter coyote and Red fox in the upper midwest,Dakota's. Can I mix TSS 4 with lead BB to lower the cost and get me to 50 yards?

If I didn't have confidence in lead BB shot past 40 yards for taking coyotes I wouldn't duplex lead BB shot with TSS #4 shot if I was wanting a 50 yard coyote load.

If I was going to duplex TSS #4 shot with lead shot I would probable go with lead T shot if I wanted a load for coyotes for up to 50 yards away.

1/2 oz of TSS #4 shot has 41 pellets, 1250 fps at the muzzle gives 3.70" of gel penetration at 76.0 yards.
3/4 oz of lead T shot has 28 pellets, 1250 fps at the muzzle gives 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.9 yards.

You can buy a ten pound bag of HW13 shot for right at the same price it would cost you to buy five pounds of TSS shot. So I am pretty sure you could load 100% HW13 BB shot for less than it would cost to load a duplex load with TSS and lead shot.

A 1-1/2 oz load of HW13 BB shot has 70 pellets and a 1250 fps load would give 3.70" of gel penetration at 59.3 yards.

Derby, occasionally I'm close to Ballistic products. I will stop and see if they can set me up with supplies for a good duplex load to try. Going to try and come up with a high velocity type load of duplex shot. I need one for late pheasant on WPA's, hoping same components, just down size the shot.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: spotstalkshootI don't trust either lead or copper plated lead bb's or smaller past 40 yards(can't get pass through chest wounds). But I'm only killing winter coyote and Red fox in the upper midwest,Dakota's. Can I mix TSS 4 with lead BB to lower the cost and get me to 50 yards?

If I didn't have confidence in lead BB shot past 40 yards for taking coyotes I wouldn't duplex lead BB shot with TSS #4 shot if I was wanting a 50 yard coyote load.

If I was going to duplex TSS #4 shot with lead shot I would probable go with lead T shot if I wanted a load for coyotes for up to 50 yards away.

1/2 oz of TSS #4 shot has 41 pellets, 1250 fps at the muzzle gives 3.70" of gel penetration at 76.0 yards.
3/4 oz of lead T shot has 28 pellets, 1250 fps at the muzzle gives 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.9 yards.

You can buy a ten pound bag of HW13 shot for right at the same price it would cost you to buy five pounds of TSS shot. So I am pretty sure you could load 100% HW13 BB shot for less than it would cost to load a duplex load with TSS and lead shot.

A 1-1/2 oz load of HW13 BB shot has 70 pellets and a 1250 fps load would give 3.70" of gel penetration at 59.3 yards.

DAB - where is the best place to source HW13 and TSS for reloading?

Bucks Run Sports Supply has the HW13 shot and the SAM 1 wads you can use to reload it. You have to call them to order the shot, wads and Heavyweight reloading manual.
1-507-356-2195

For TSS shot I get mine from Hal Abbot. He goes by hawglips on Tungsten Super Shots .com. Hal will give you TSS shot reloading data if you buy TSS shot from him.

https://www.tungstensupershots.com/

TSS shot works better but HW13 BB shot works much better than lead shot and it costs about $20.00 a pound cheaper than the TSS shot does.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobBucks Run Sports Supply has the HW13 shot and the SAM 1 wads you can use to reload it. You have to call them to order the shot, wads and Heavyweight reloading manual.
1-507-356-2195

For TSS shot I get mine from Hal Abbot. He goes by hawglips on Tungsten Super Shots .com. Hal will give you TSS shot reloading data if you buy TSS shot from him.

https://www.tungstensupershots.com/

TSS shot works better but HW13 BB shot works much better than lead shot and it costs about $20.00 a pound cheaper than the TSS shot does.

What size HW13 would you recommend?

I prefer the HW13 BB shot for coyotes over the HW13 T shot. The HW13 BB has right at 70 pellets in 1-1/2 oz and the HW13 T shot has around 50 pellets in 1-1/2 oz.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Do you need a special barrel for this shot? I have standard shotguns like a Rem. 11/87 and 870.

David,
Same barrels, just be careful not to over choke it to start .

I think the tube I have been using for T shot and #4 Buck is a .670, is that about right for the Apex loads of #4 and BB?

Back