My varmint hunting spots

wicka

I have over the years I have done my research, calling, knocking on doors and viewing satellite maps looking for places to shoot varmints and have had great success. I have given a few spots to others only to find them and their friends blasting away and never an invite to go with them. Friendships can be lost over this . If I take someone with me I let them know that I won't appreciate them bringing their friends back. If someone finds a spot on their own good for them, but I don't give away my good shooting spots anymore. Yes a lot of this is on Public Lands, so get off your duff and go find it your self. there the rant is over.
Case in point It took me a couple hours to find this spot and track down the owner and I now have his permission and he says hurry up.
1-good-spot.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWicka I don't see gps coordinates on this map, where are they?
tt2.gif

Well don't that beat all, it's down the road over the hill thru the trees, next to the irrigation ditch. This is his hay field. You can see a few big round bales.

Last edited:
I've seen some towns that looked amazing and huge, then was really amazed when i looked at the google images but they didn't look anything like this. That looks like a target rich environment. One of these days I'll quit being lazy and make some phone calls and go shoot at them.

Color and density of pd mounds in Satellite photos are very important. Over the course of a fall and early spring I noticed a couple of large towns on private ground I can just ask my way onto, the color and density changed. I headed out without calling the owner, figured I stop by the ranch anyway. Well they had poisoned in the fall that's what I was seeing in the Sat photos.

Just thought I would add another angle, besides Google Earth, which I think is a great tool. I just started using the ‘On X Hunt‘ app, it shows property ownership & boundaries. With that, then looking over google earth at the same time, it’s great to see where you can go, then get an avenue of approach.

I already have some fresh spots & approaches, a higher comfort level at others. One place has private land along the road, until near the end, then it’s all public access. The landowner has the road near the end posted, giving the impression that the land ahead is private, which is not the case. I had just been opening the gate, closing behind. No need to look over the shoulder this year.

There was a utube where a hunter in CO was getting crabbed at by a local rancher. He showed the rancher how he was on public land. I’ve seen where nearby owners ‘bluff’ ownership of public access land, easier with out of town hunters. Of course no need to push limits setting up right on the fence line either.

If not versed, check out the on x hunt app, 7 day trial if free. I think 1 State is $29.99, 50 States $99.99.

Another helpful feature with on x hunt, is turning on ‘historic’ prairie dog towns/locations. Then correlate that info with google earth & land ownership. There you have it, a spot to shoot.

Back