NEED A PLACE TO HUNT PRAIRIE DOGS

PD HUNTER

Our Veterans group looking for a place to hunt PDs 20-21-22 Jun in NE Colorado, Western Nebr, Western Kans, Eastern WY.
10 experienced, self contained, bringing all our own
tables and gear. Just need a place to shoot 'em.
10 of us...usually divide into 2 groups of 5.
NO - We will not pay Guided Hunt Rates.
865 300 7553 865 229-2561

Your kidding I guess. Wanna bet no ne knows where to hunt em??

You can go to the places mentioned and no one knows other than N of highway xxx on past intersection of Johnson Rd. When you get there it is barbed wire for 20 miles N and S..

Good luck. Call the local DNR in the proposed areas. Some agriculture extensions may help also.

Last edited:
Your name indicates you are a prairie dog hunter, so I would say go to the spots you have hunted them in the past.

Google earth you can see the towns , BLM maps. Is what you need ,a "Hunt fish " chip for your gps too maybe.

South central Montana has Tons of Public lands with lots of prairie dogs. No seasons and no licenses needed. If you hunt "State trust lands" you need a $10 use permit is all. You can camp most anywhere. VERY few camp grounds or towns.

Ten guys that nobody knows, to come out and shoot. They'll go back and tell all their friends about the great shooting. Then more come out. And the good spot is no longer a good spot. That's how it works.

Any sucker can pay guide fees.

With over 50% of the western states belonging to the citizens it is a crime to have to hire a guide. Barb wire for miles is the problem. we own it but cant use it. How is that???

""Ten guys that nobody knows, to come out and shoot. They'll go back and tell all their friends about the great shooting. Then more come out. And the good spot is no longer a good spot. That's how it works.""copied from above.

How else should it work?? PUBLIC land..

Barbed wire on public land means nothing. its just to contain the cows that are grazing public land. Just leave the gates how you found them, open or closed. Get an onxmaps chip. If its yellow or green you are generally good to go.

Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckAny sucker can pay guide fees.

With over 50% of the western states belonging to the citizens it is a crime to have to hire a guide. Barb wire for miles is the problem. we own it but cant use it. How is that???

Not a crime in hiring a guide for any kind of huynting. it is public land leased for various reasons and it is still open to public use. Most all of the fence is around private property that borders public lands. Just respect the land.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckAny sucker can pay guide fees.

Fenced public land is to keep cattle in while using it for grazing. It does not mean it is closed to the public. You do need to have respect and still leave gates as you found them.

22 Chuck gave good advice in calling the local DRN office, as they might be able to put you in contact with local ranchers wanting prairie dog shooters.

The problem might be finding enough suitable dog towns to keep 10 guys busy and camping locations near the dog town might also present a problem. In some areas you won't be able to get back into some of these dog towns in a motorhome and will need a vehicle with adequate ground clearance such as a pickup.

Might also consider SW North Dakota - around the Marmarth, ND area.

Once in your chosen area, stop in at a co-op/convenience store and ask around. In small towns just about everyone knows everybody in the area and they will give you good leads as who to contact.

I've shot various dog towns in the Mararth, ND area and back then the people were mighty friendly and helpful. I think the only café is now closed - if my daughter & SIL make a trip this summer out here, we will be heading that way for 3/4 days but shooting all day for 3 people can usually be done finding 2 dog towns.

The other thing I do is purchase 4 to 6 pound boxes of chocolate turtles as gifts to the ranchers who allow us on their property. I find chocolate goes over much better with the woman of the house and kids versus a jug of booze for the guy. Years back, when I found a rancher with good land to hunt mule deer and antelope on - this was in Wyoming, I would send a nice box of Figi's at Christmas time. Just a little thank you and consideration usually goes a long way in developing a hunting friendship with some landowners.

Back