2019 Groundhog Tally

KjBeachy

Just another thread where you can show off how many groundhogs you've killed this year. I shot my first the beginning of March.

I wondered if a Ghog tally thread would happen again this year. I am at 10 so far, but we have more coyote this year and appears there may be less Ghogs around. Only time will tell.

Originally Posted By: whyI wondered if a Ghog tally thread would happen again this year. I am at 10 so far, but we have more coyote this year and appears there may be less Ghogs around. Only time will tell.

10! That's not even right lol. But keep shooting em up

I got another 3 this past week. I went to a farm yesterday to find that the farmer had a guy gas all the dens he could find. Farmers pay to have them gassed even when we will shoot them for free. It really sucks. Anyway 13 so far.

Where are the Ghog hunters? I am using a lot of self restraint this year trying not to kill to many to early as I have really put a hurt on them in the past. I'm at 18 so far but will start later in the month, hopefully with a more target rich environment.

I couldn't find a place to groundhog hunt in my area last year to save my life. Asked several places I hunted as a kid but got turned down.
I guess I'll just keep on trying.....

I'm giving them a rest this year as I have done a good job at most places I have access. I hope the remaining 'chucks make lots and lots of babies and also invite their redneck cousins from Pennsylvanian and Ohio down to move in. The more the merrier.

That said, I did take the little silenced .22LR out for an evening stroll last week and drilled one.

We purchased a ~100 acre farm a year ago. We've already taken 3 off of the property this year and 1 off the neighbor's property (in-law's). I've never seen as many groundhogs in these parts as we have this year.

3 from 100 acre's is not many. A couple years ago I killed over 90 on 115 acre's. Its been a tough year so far so I haven't gone out as much but have killed 45 to date.

I guess one was not enough
thumbup.gif
. Popped 6 tonight with the suppressed Savage 22LR.

Vv8BDn4h.jpg

av1YDD9h.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I have totally forgotten what a ground hog looked like. Coyotes have wiped them out here. Be lucky to see one or two a year. So far none this year but plenty of coyotes

I think a number of things have put a hurting on the population. Last year was slow but this will be worse from what I have seen so far. I have managed to get 88 to date but am way behind other years. This fall and winter I hope to do more coyote hunting than last year.

Wow, I am surprised at the lack of posts on this topic this year. Past years it wasn't uncommon to have 7-10+ pages of responses. Personally, I wasn't able to even get a gun out of its case this year, let alone shoot one, and it wasn't for lack of hogs there are plenty to be shot! Hopefully this winter I am able to pick up where I left off with my reloading. Next year I should have more free time to get behind my 204, between farming, buying property and getting married this year was much more hectic than I expected.

Back